The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, dohnut said:

lol - you joke, but I’d be fine with them putting Eloy back out there. Who cares about “injury risk” at this point. Maybe he surprises and we can unload him at the deadline.

I don’t give a s%*# if he hurts himself out there anymore, he’s a lost cause IMO. I’m more concerned about him colliding with someone else and doing serious harm. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There’s no way Getz is spending $8 to $10 million on an outfielder for this team.  It will be some AAAA guy or a discarded and cheap OF from another team.

They just spent just under $6MM on a shitty catcher and a terrible reliever, so I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility they will sign an actual major leaguer to play RF.  JR can certainly afford it. Understand the doubt, tho. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

You’re not wrong. The Sox would likely have to overpay, which at that point, why? Just stay away. 

The utility role is not good for young prospects because we would want them getting as much playing time as possible. I have no problem paying Whit to be that guy, even if it’s a slight overpay. Veteran guy, leadership, good clubhouse presence, and can play multiple positions.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They just spent just under $6MM on a shitty catcher and a terrible reliever, so I don't think it’s beyond the realm of possibility they will sign an actual major leaguer to play RF.  JR can certainly afford it. Understand the doubt, tho. 

But they like to spread out smaller amounts of money on a variety of crap, not spend up to $10 million on one productive player.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But they like to spread out smaller amounts of money on a variety of crap, not spend up to $10 million on one productive player.

$8-10M isn't a large sum of money in today's game.  But again, understand your doubt. 

I think they'll eventually acquire their RF via the Cease deal.  But if not, they have to sign someone.  You can't pound the table all offseason about defense and then stick Gavin Sheets in RF. 

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The utility role is not good for young prospects because we would want them getting as much playing time as possible. I have no problem paying Whit to be that guy, even if it’s a slight overpay. Veteran guy, leadership, good clubhouse presence, and can play multiple positions. 

Former Royal>> 

I watched plenty of Whit with the Jays last season. He's just not good anymore. Don't the MLB INFs they've already acquired check enough of those boxes?

edit - With Pedro at the helm, I doubt Whit would simply be a UTIL, he'd likely play almost every day.

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Paper Bag 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

$8-10M isn't a large sum of money in today's game.  But again, understand your doubt. 

I think they'll eventually acquire their RF via the Cease deal.  But if not, they have to sign someone.  You can't pound the table all offseason about defense and then stick Gavin Sheets in RF. 

I know it isn’t a large sum of money in today’s game but I don’t see the Sox spending that much for a one year outfielder in what will be a losing year.  Getz would probably rather sign three relievers with that money as potential flip candidates at the deadline.

I do agree with your second point that they are hoping the OF will come from the Cease trade.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If the Sox don’t acquire a RF in the Cease trade, don’t be surprised to see the fluff pieces by Merkin early in Spring Training about how Colas is in the best shape of his life and working on his swing with the new coaches.  Essentially selling Colas to Sox fans as their starting RF again.

I’d honestly rather give Colas another chance than some 35 year old scrub with no future upside.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If the Sox don’t acquire a RF in the Cease trade, don’t be surprised to see the fluff pieces by Merkin early in Spring Training about how Colas is in the best shape of his life and working on his swing with the new coaches.  Essentially selling Colas to Sox fans as their starting RF again.

Colas should be the starting RF for much of the season.  There is absolutely no good reason to not try to let him figure it out.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’d honestly rather give Colas another chance than some 35 year old scrub with no future upside.

Even if they were willing to do that...they still need OF depth. Their 40 man roster has Benintendi, Robert, Sheets, and Colas as the only 4 OFs. There's clearly zero plan for what to do if someone hits the IL or even needs a day off other than playing Gavin Sheets out there, and every time I write that I feel ill.

But on top of that, they were already willing to block Lee completely - as far as I know they haven't publicly ripped Lee and despite that they didn't give a hoot about having him consigned to the minors potentially for the only season they have him under control. They've been far more negative on Colas, publicly, and they can bury Colas for a full 2 years before they have to make a decision on him. I would fully expect them to block Colas and see how things shake out during the year.

53 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Former Royal>> 

I watched plenty of Whit with the Jays last season. He's just not good anymore. Don't the MLB INFs they've already acquired check enough of those boxes?

edit - With Pedro at the helm, I doubt Whit would simply be a UTIL, he'd likely play almost every day.

Agreed. He’s not good. But I don’t think we are trying to sign good players. 

• Thanks 1

Kiermaier would've been my first choice, either put him in right or even put Robert there to help preserve his body somewhat.

The fact that there's been no movement on outfielders, including depth signings (ie bringing back Trayce on the same minor league deal the Mets signed him for), leads me to think Getz and co are expecting to get back an outfielder as part of a Cease trade. wouldn't surprise me if Kelenic is starting in RF next year. 

• Like 1

If they do not receive a viable OF in a Cease trade, I would be OK with Michael A. Taylor, Joey Gallo or Adam Duvall for a 1 year deal, perhaps an option / buyout for 2025.

Assuming one of these may take a deal here without an overpay if the Sox are the only team able to offer them a starting gig on Opening Day. I like Taylor best because he can best cover CF, Duvall can as well, though not sure if he can cover 100 games at this stage.

They also need a 4th OF capable of covering both CF and RF. For the bench they can go Remillard to cover 3B and OF, and perhaps go with Jonathan Davis or Billy Hamilton for their ability to cover defensively CF and RF. 

Obviously the above is what a team trying to survive, not thrive, over 162 would do. Teoscar for a 1 year prove it deal or Gallo would be the best two options for a starter, covering a CF backup in a separate transaction. Sox may go for the two for one option to save $ like Celozzi-Ettleson.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If they do not receive a viable OF in a Cease trade, I would be OK with Michael A. Taylor, Joey Gallo or Adam Duvall for a 1 year deal, perhaps an option / buyout for 2025.

Assuming one of these may take a deal here without an overpay if the Sox are the only team able to offer them a starting gig on Opening Day. I like Taylor best because he can best cover CF, Duvall can as well, though not sure if he can cover 100 games at this stage.

They also need a 4th OF capable of covering both CF and RF. For the bench they can go Remillard to cover 3B and OF, and perhaps go with Jonathan Davis or Billy Hamilton for their ability to cover defensively CF and RF. 

Obviously the above is what a team trying to survive, not thrive, over 162 would do. Teoscar for a 1 year prove it deal or Gallo would be the best two options for a starter, covering a CF backup in a separate transaction. Sox may go for the two for one option to save $ like Celozzi-Ettleson.

I can't wait till Billy Hamilton retires. Then I'll just have to see you suggesting him as a coach rather than a player. 😋

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside