The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I agree at this point, but Duvall would be an upgrade offensively for those games. I'd be happy with Gallo, could be a nice feel good story with him launching bombs into the RF concourse. I'd be happy with Aaron Hicks for his flexibility, but can see him opting to retire vs. coming here.

Jerry likely even knows deep down that 2024 will be a lost season, although he would never admit it publicly.  Why would he allow Getz to spend $10 million on Duvall?  In the grand scheme of things, a Duvall, Gallo, or Hicks isn’t going to be a difference maker on the season anyways.  Brett Phillips is definitely your guy.  It’s the White Sox way.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, fathom said:

No shot

It’s so stupid to not let Colas figure it out. I’m fine to let him earn it for a month or two, but he’s the best internal option in RF for the long term if the org by FAR. 

Now if you acquire someone like Kjerstad, that changes things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s so stupid to not let Colas figure it out. I’m fine to let him earn it for a month or two, but he’s the best internal option in RF for the long term if the org by FAR. 

Now if you acquire someone like Kjerstad, that changes things. 

Colas somehow, someway appears to have pissed off someone or a few people in the organization. Very strange.

Edited by Lip Man 1

38 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jerry likely even knows deep down that 2024 will be a lost season, although he would never admit it publicly.  Why would he allow Getz to spend $10 million on Duvall?  In the grand scheme of things, a Duvall, Gallo, or Hicks isn’t going to be a difference maker on the season anyways.  Brett Phillips is definitely your guy.  It’s the White Sox way.

I agree with you they aren't spending $10M, but with the number of OFers left and the limited number of teams looking to add, I can see a $4M-$6M signing, perhaps some sort of option or buyout, among the three guys I mentioned.

There hasn't been much movement with 5-6 weeks to go beyond some at the top of the position player pecking order, and there will be lots of shake out and guys taking less than what they wanted/expected as ST approaches.

One of the attributes with Hahn is that he always acted early and paid top market for FAs, seemed to pull the trigger on trades quickly. I like Getz' patience at this stage with Cease, where I'm pretty certain Cease would have been gone at the Winter Meetings of Hahn was still here with not nearly the return they will ultimately receive.

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

I agree with you they aren't spending $10M, but with the number of OFers left and the limited number of teams looking to add, I can see a $4M-$6M signing, perhaps some sort of option or buyout, among the three guys I mentioned.

There hasn't been much movement with 5-6 weeks to go beyond some at the top of the position player pecking order, and there will be lots of shake out and guys taking less than what they wanted/expected as ST approaches.

One of the attributes with Hahn is that he always acted early and paid top market for FAs, seemed to pull the trigger on trades quickly. I like Getz' patience at this stage with Cease, where I'm pretty certain Cease would have been gone at the Winter Meetings of Hahn was still here with not nearly the return they will ultimately receive.

And what do you think adding a guy like Duvall, Gallo, or Hicks will do for this team?  Are you solely looking for a flip candidate, because I doubt any of these three guys returns much at the deadline even if they have a big first half.  Starting Colas in RF from opening day and on would be more productive for this team.

47 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Colas somehow, someway appears to have pissed off someone or a few people in the organization. Very strange.

Well it’s no secret that Grifol didn’t like him much. But that clown shouldn’t be deciding Colas fate. Again, fine not just handing him the opening day RF role, and also fine bringing in a legit vet for RF like Duvall. But the Sox should should try to get Colas plenty of MLB at bats in 24. 

48 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And what do you think adding a guy like Duvall, Gallo, or Hicks will do for this team?  Are you solely looking for a flip candidate, because I doubt any of these three guys returns much at the deadline even if they have a big first half.  Starting Colas in RF from opening day and on would be more productive for this team.

No, he was rushed last year because Hahn of course had no other options and barely ready for AAA. Like Lee, they should stay in AAA until it's likely they can have at least some success at ML pitching. Colas also did a lot of dumb s%*# in the field, so he needs to work on that as well.

I want someone who can field the position and hit decently, and also want to never see Gavin Sheets wear an OF glove again. I'd say there are 39 other players on the 40 man roster who agree.

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I don't doubt it. I'm sure they are done with him. But I'd rather he get the playing time over some washed dumpster dive.

It’s very clear that Getz wants his prospects to earn to their playing time and not be handed jobs because no other option exists.  I would wager big money this one of many things that Getz criticized the previous regime for when he put his sales pitch into Jerry.  And honestly, I think it makes sense assuming you are willing to cut bait quickly on placeholders once those prospects are called up.  This “I won’t sacrifice a single for development” bullshit won’t fly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s very clear that Getz wants his prospects to earn to their playing time and not be handed jobs because no other option exists.  I would wager big money this one of many things that Getz criticized the previous regime for when he put his sales pitch into Jerry.  And honestly, I think it makes sense assuming you are willing to cut bait quickly on placeholders once those prospects are called up.  This “I won’t sacrifice a single for development” bullshit won’t fly.

The more negative version of this could be that Getz doesn’t care about prospects and really likes his veterans so he doesn’t mind burying and losing guys, especially if his coach doesn’t like a guy.

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The more negative version of this could be that Getz doesn’t care about prospects and really likes his veterans so he doesn’t mind burying and losing guys, especially if his coach doesn’t like a guy.

Sure, if you’re Jack Parkman this could make some sense

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There's probably a very real chance he's extremely immature and not ready for the bigs. For all we know he could be Mercedes 2.0.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

There's probably a very real chance he's extremely immature and not ready for the bigs. For all we know he could be Mercedes 2.0.

that could be the case. it's just as likely not true. the sox have yanked him around since the minors and 

he might have been a convenient whipping boy for the entire train wreck last year. lots of guys struggle 

their 1st year in the majors. if i were another team, he'd be a guy i'd try to get as a buy low candidate.

• Like 2

Colas basically threatened to quit because he was still in the minors in 2022. He was then handed the starting RF job out of ST and he was beyond horrible. 

I honestly did not expect him to be as bad as he was, and his performance makes me question if he’s a major league player in any capacity.

I would not doubt if 2023 was enough of a mixture of bad/immature behavior and abysmal performance for many in the organization to sour on him almost completely. 

I don’t disagree that he needs to work his way back into a starting major league role on this team. As much as I want to disagree with every front office decision they make right now. 

Whether it’s the White Sox fault he was so bad and immature in 2023 due to lack of player development is another story. Regardless, this is where we are at right now.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

8 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Colas basically threatened to quit because he was still in the minors in 2022. He was then handed the starting RF job out of ST and he was beyond horrible. 

I honestly did not expect him to be as bad as he was, and his performance makes me question if he’s a major league player in any capacity.

I would not doubt if 2023 was enough of a mixture of bad/immature behavior and abysmal performance for many in the organization to sour on him almost completely. 

I don’t disagree that he needs to work his way back into a starting major league role on this team. As much as I want to disagree with every front office decision they make right now. 

Whether it’s the White Sox fault he was so bad and immature in 2023 due to lack of player development is another story. Regardless, this is where we are at right now.

I agree with everything you say except the 1st paragraph. I'm not entirely sure he threatened to quit because he was still in the minors in 2022. That was his 1st year in the minors and hadn't played in a while. Maybe you can convince me that was his reasoning by siting something that says what you said. I know there was some controversy with him in 2022 but I always thought it was about how long he stayed in A+. You make it sound like he thought he should be in the majors in his very 1st year in the minors after a long layoff.

12 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Colas basically threatened to quit because he was still in the minors in 2022.

When did this happen?  Link?

I seem to remember that Colas pretty much got the RF shot because he was hot in the minors and then in Spring Training.  But mainly because Hahn neglected to acquire a legit starting caliber RF for about the tenth year in a row.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree with everything you say except the 1st paragraph. I'm not entirely sure he threatened to quit because he was still in the minors in 2022. That was his 1st year in the minors and hadn't played in a while. Maybe you can convince me that was his reasoning by siting something that says what you said. I know there was some controversy with him in 2022 but I always thought it was about how long he stayed in A+. You make it sound like he thought he should be in the majors in his very 1st year in the minors after a long layoff.

Didn't he somehow get involved with the Clevinger social media situation too...besides the threat to quit/retire when he was in the minors?

21 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Give him 3 months at Charlotte and see what happens, if he shows no signs of improvement then they might have to let him go. There also is the possibility that Colas has worked his behind off this winter and maybe has figured things out and is ready to take over in right field, maybe that’s why we have yet to sign another rightfielder.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

14 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Give him 3 months at Charlotte and see what happens, if he shows no signs of improvement then they might have to let him go. There also is the possibility that Colas has worked his behind off this winter and maybe has figured things out and is ready to take over in right field, maybe that’s why we have yet to sign another rightfielder.

Let him go? Dude has 2 more option years and costs nothing. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Let him go? Dude has 2 more option years and costs nothing. 

There hasn’t been a quicker rise and fall than Colas as a prospect but he’s still only 25, the same age as the stud “prospect” Joey Ortiz that Orioles fans so desperately want to deal for Cease.

Also, many of the same Sox fan posters that want to dump Colas, even though he makes all the sense in the world to give playing time to on this awful 2024 Sox team, wanted to replace him with one year of Kevin Kiermaier or Adam Duvall.

What are Kiermaier or Duvall going to do for the 2024 Sox on one year deals?  Serve as mediocre trade deadline guys that return little to nothing?  I’d rather see what Colas can do with those at bats.  He could be the next Dayan Viciedo but maybe he actually develops into something?  God knows it’s better than giving that playing time to 34/35 year old outfielders, which would basically be wasted at bats for this team.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There hasn’t been a quicker rise and fall than Colas as a prospect but he’s still only 25, the same age as the stud “prospect” Joey Ortiz that Orioles fans so desperately want to deal for Cease.

Also, many of the same Sox fan posters that want to dump Colas, even though he makes all the sense in the world to give playing time to on this awful 2024 Sox team, wanted to replace him with one year of Kevin Kiermaier or Adam Duvall.

What are Kiermaier or Duvall going to do for the 2024 Sox on one year deals?  Serve as mediocre trade deadline guys that return little to nothing?  I’d rather see what Colas can do with those at bats.  He could be the next Dayan Viciedo but maybe he actually develops into something?  God knows it’s better than giving that playing time to 34/35 year old outfielders, which would basically be wasted at bats for this team.

I could get behind signing Duvall or Gallo because the Sox have made it crystal clear they aren't putting Colas in RF from day 1.  Which is fine.  Duvall or Gallo actually have the ability to be above average regulars, and on a cheap 1 year deal, could be a flippable asset.  Also, until Cease is traded, you at least have to consider the angle that the Sox are in a god awful division and cannot get better than the 10th pick anyway.  If you're going to hold Cease, may as well sign Duvall/Gallo/TA and  take chance on a SP like Lorenzen, Wood or Syndergaard.  

Back to Colas - don't get me wrong, I definitely think he should be getting 350+ PA in 2024.  But I am OK letting him earn in AAA first.  But this talk about dumping Colas from the 40 man or his days with the Sox being over are silly. 

On 1/11/2024 at 12:52 AM, caulfield12 said:

Didn't he somehow get involved with the Clevinger social media situation too...besides the threat to quit/retire when he was in the minors?

Yes I just posted in the Rafael Ortega thread sort of going over a few Colas things  just to get readers here up to speed on someone who there is a lot of speculation about. I probably should have posted it here but there was also Colas discussion in that thread.

Yes I just posted in the Rafael Ortega thread sort of going over a few Colas things  just to get readers here up to speed on someone who there is a lot of speculation about. I probably should have posted it here but there was also Colas discussion in that thread.

Yeah that was it...and it was like totally out of nowhere.

I didn’t even know of that story until you shared today. Literally out of nowhere.