Passan on FromThe108 Podcast

Heads22

• "I can't think of another example of a fan base which invested in a team for six years and were given jack s%*# in return."
  • "What you guys have been subjected to over the past decade, the extreme tease and the pain that comes from that tease afterward. I think it's unparalleled in baseball."
  • "I think judging somebody by his transactions in a year where he's (Getz) starting what may not be a tank, but may very well be a tank, is a very, very bad way to judge a President of Baseball Operations or a General Manager. I think you need to give him time before you render an opinion on his moves."

- Jeff Passan 1/4/24

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • "I can't think of another example of a fan base which invested in a team for six years and were given jack s%*# in return."
  • "What you guys have been subjected to over the past decade, the extreme tease and the pain that comes from that tease afterward. I think it's unparalleled in baseball."
  • "I think judging somebody by his transactions in a year where he's (Getz) starting what may not be a tank, but may very well be a tank, is a very, very bad way to judge a President of Baseball Operations or a General Manager. I think you need to give him time before you render an opinion on his moves."

- Jeff Passan 1/4/24

Reminds me of Red Sox situation where they forced Bloom to dump Betts and then hung him on that cross later...no win situation there when everyone knew Boston wasn't going to sign him long term (which would have been far better than Bogaerts or Devers.)

• Hawk 1

35 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Who are these guys exactly? I see they scored Passan and he's actually wearing a sweatshirt with their logo on it. That's pretty impressive. 

Not a Twitter guy, eh Ron?

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

Who are these guys exactly? I see they scored Passan and he's actually wearing a sweatshirt with their logo on it. That's pretty impressive. 

I’m actually surprised you don’t know who they are 

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

- Jeff Passan 1/4/24

The last part is exactly what I've been telling those who like or dislike the moves so far. Just because he hasn't done anything stupid yet or hasn't fired Grifol or didn't build up a great or even good record of success in his previous job or is filling the 40 with all field no hit MLB rejects we can at least see the beginning stages of what he's doing. Surround yourself with people you think can identity talent that perhaps can be fixed turn those who you fix into prospects. It's a very tough road to hoe .But if one prospect received from a reject turns into 6 years of a good MLB player it's worth it.

Of course it's very hard with the position players he's been getting but the pitching rejects at least have some track record of success and aren't as old.

My only gripe is Getz so far  in his all field no hit culture guys  moves is that he reminds me of Guillen who overvalued guys who played exactly like himself and early returns have people nervous about prioritizing pitching instead of best talent and near ready talent over talent still developing.

Of course this can be because the boss says compete as soon as possible or he doesn't yet trust his own development processes because he hasn't been on the job long enough yet to hire more people than JR is comfortable with in order to really make an effort to change the lazy, unmotivated player culture but to identify and develop talent to change the real problem which is the losing culture that JR creates with his outdated and cheap infrastructure methods.

We'll start to get a clearer picture when we see how the results of the Cease trade turn out. Then it's onto giving Getz some time to work on the infracture and development until it's time to trade Robert .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Hawk 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The last part is exactly what I've been telling those who like or dislike the moves so far. Just because he hasn't done anything stupid yet or hasn't fired Grifol or didn't build up a great or even good record of success in his previous job or is filling the 40 with all field no hit MLB rejects we can at least see the beginning stages of what he's doing. Surround yourself with people you think can identity talent that perhaps can be fixed turn those who you fix into prospects. It's a very tough road to hoe .But if one prospect received from a reject turns into 6 years of a good MLB player it's worth it.

Of course it's very hard with the position players he's been getting but the pitching rejects at least have some track record of success and aren't as old.

My only gripe is Getz so far  in his all field no hit culture guys  moves is that he reminds me of Guillen who overvalued guys who played exactly like himself and early returns have people nervous about prioritizing pitching instead of best talent and near ready talent over talent still developing.

Of course this can be because the boss says compete as soon as possible or he doesn't yet trust his own development processes because he hasn't been on the job long enough yet to hire more people than JR is comfortable with in order to really make an effort to change the lazy, unmotivated player culture but to identify and develop talent to change the real problem which is the losing culture that JR creates with his outdated and cheap infrastructure methods.

We'll start to get a clearer picture when we see how the results of the Cease trade turn out. Then it's onto giving Getz some time to work on the infracture and development until it's time to trade Robert .

I think my problem with it is that we have come full circle and they are going to try and sell the same half ass bullshit.  Why should any of us invest with Getz?

im just waiting til JR is pushing up daisies because it not fun.  None of this is fun, we all have spent years on this site arguing celebrating discussing planning reacting and it means absolutely nothing because Jerry doesn’t care to win, and that bleeds through the organization.

im not gonna sit here and tell people not to do all the stuff we have been doing for years, but I think at least in this season it ok for us to be like “you know what?  f*** them.  I did my part, I spent my money, they not only let me down but they embarrassed themselves and everyone with them along the way”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

49 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think my problem with it is that we have come full circle and they are going to try and sell the same half ass bullshit.  Why should any of us invest with Getz?

im just waiting til JR is pushing up daisies because it not fun.  None of this is fun, we all have spent years on this site arguing celebrating discussing planning reacting and it means absolutely nothing because Jerry doesn’t care to win, and that bleeds through the organization.

im not gonna sit here and tell people not to do all the stuff we have been doing for years, but I think at least in this season it ok for us to be like “you know what?  f*** them.  I did my part, I spent my money, they not only let me down but they embarrassed themselves and everyone with them along the way”

I understand but I guess it's easier on me than on others. I know my voice as a fan means nothing and it's actually better for everything else in your life if you are not a die hard even though I still am

The fact is you care too much and you feel neglected, used,overlooked , ignored and despised.

I can still hate JRs methods but not hate JR . He'll pass away eventually and the circle of life will start all over among fans. You just have to hope that JR hasn't dwindled the number of Sox fans to so few that the franchise can recover eventually.

It's always been tough to be a Sox fan. Just look at how bad they are at sustaining any kind of postseason success in their entire history and moreso in a time when it's much easier to make the post season than ever.

JR could've owned Chicago, instead he'll go down as a mixed bag. He won some championships  , may have even saved the Sox from moving elsewhere after it seemed Veeck ownership might have been the franchises' last gasp. Not that Veeck was a bad owner he just didn't have any money but he did love the fans.

Reinsdorf's reign is just almost that of a con man ,  smart, shrewd never knowing his true nature because he balances out his public personna by showing loyalty to employees and being generous with charities. Of course that good side of him may be highly cultivated like the way a con man fools the mark into thinking he's something he's not. After all the best conman's goal is for the mark to never realize they were conned.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I understand but I guess it's easier on me than on others. I know my voice as a fan means nothing and it's actually better for everything else in your life if you are not a die hard even though I still am

The fact is you care too much and you feel neglected, used,overlooked , ignored and despised.

I can still hate JRs methods but not hate JR . He'll pass away eventually and the circle of life will start all over among fans. You just have to hope that JR hasn't dwindled the number of Sox fans to so few that the franchise can recover eventually. It's always been tough to be a Sox fan. Just look at how bad they are at sustaining any kind of postseason success in their entire history and moreso in a time when it's much easier to make the post season than ever. JR could've owned Chicago, instead he'll go down as a mixed bag. He won some championships  , may have even saved the Sox from moving elsewhere after it seemed Veeck ownership might have been the franchises' last gasp. Not that Veeck was a bad owner he just didn't have any money but he did love the fans. Reinsdorf's reign is just almost that of a con man ,  smart, shrewd never knowing his true nature because he balances out his public personna by showing loyalty to employees and being generous with charities. Of course that good side of him may be highly cultivated like the way a con man fools the mark into thinking he's something he's not. After all the best conman's goal is for the mark to never realize they were conned.

I feel like the last couple years have really turned that mixed bag upside down.  I think he kind of knows it but doesn’t totally care.  

I think it will just end up that the people who closely knew him will defend him fiercely and the fanbase will forever think what you said, he could have had this entire city in the palm of his hand and chose to do whatever this is

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I feel like the last couple years have really turned that mixed bag upside down.  I think he kind of knows it but doesn’t totally care.  

I think it will just end up that the people who closely knew him will defend him fiercely and the fanbase will forever think what you said, he could have had this entire city in the palm of his hand and chose to do whatever this is

Unfortunately " whatever this is" is exactly the outcome the conman strives for. The mark feels cheated, the conman makes his money and walks away unscathed and doesn't give a s%*# about what's left in his wake.

• Like 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Unfortunately " whatever this is" is exactly the outcome the conman strives for. The mark feels cheated, the conman makes his money and walks away unscathed and doesn't give a s%*# about what's left in his wake.

100 percent agreed 

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

- Jeff Passan 1/4/24

Some positives on Getz so far:

1. He hasn’t done anything Hahn-awful. No trades for Salvador Perez. No big contracts. No “we are one player away” moves on a team no where close. Hahn always messed this up, never understood where his franchise was and thus even if he made good moves they cost him too much in the end.

2. Hard to complain about the specific front office people he’s brought in.

Negatives or matters for concern:

1. The entire Jerry Reinsdorf press conference debacle. It showed a man completely out of touch and out of control with a GM who was unwilling or unable to step in. The “win soon” declarations, the CBA violation, none of this was acceptable and it was all a terrible sign for the organization. Not only did Getz not have the power to stop it, but he clearly did not have any understanding with Reinsdorf beforehand about things that needed fixed or changed - if Getz can’t control a press conference how is he going to react when the owner insists on drafting a college 1b rather than a high school pitcher?

2. Although the people he’s brought in are decent I’ve seen no sign that the organizational chaos has been resolved.

They haven’t expanded their front office staff which was too small by a factor of at least two. Some problematic people are still here, just in different roles. There are signs that people in management positions don’t understand their jobs - your organizational number 2 person should not be talking about personally working with pitchers, he should have way too many other duties. There are numerous signs that the “yes man” culture is as bad or even worse - Benetti, Soxfest, the kind of fawning public statements we have gotten throughout the offseason, LaRussa somehow being an influence, the Nashville articles, Nightengale still having a role.

Credit where it is due for not immediately screwing up like Hahn. But lots of reasons for skepticism.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not a Twitter guy, eh Ron?

Don’t forget YouTube. And their infamous Sox Math video. 

A Passan level guest is a pretty impressive get for an independent fan blog/pod like theirs. They’re doing something right to build a pretty big online following in only a few years. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Some positives on Getz so far:

1. He hasn’t done anything Hahn-awful. No trades for Salvador Perez. No big contracts. No “we are one player away” moves on a team no where close. Hahn always messed this up, never understood where his franchise was and thus even if he made good moves they cost him too much in the end.

2. Hard to complain about the specific front office people he’s brought in.

Negatives or matters for concern:

1. The entire Jerry Reinsdorf press conference debacle. It showed a man completely out of touch and out of control with a GM who was unwilling or unable to step in. The “win soon” declarations, the CBA violation, none of this was acceptable and it was all a terrible sign for the organization. Not only did Getz not have the power to stop it, but he clearly did not have any understanding with Reinsdorf beforehand about things that needed fixed or changed - if Getz can’t control a press conference how is he going to react when the owner insists on drafting a college 1b rather than a high school pitcher?

2. Although the people he’s brought in are decent I’ve seen no sign that the organizational chaos has been resolved.

They haven’t expanded their front office staff which was too small by a factor of at least two. Some problematic people are still here, just in different roles. There are signs that people in management positions don’t understand their jobs - your organizational number 2 person should not be talking about personally working with pitchers, he should have way too many other duties. There are numerous signs that the “yes man” culture is as bad or even worse - Benetti, Soxfest, the kind of fawning public statements we have gotten throughout the offseason, LaRussa somehow being an influence, the Nashville articles, Nightengale still having a role.

Credit where it is due for not immediately screwing up like Hahn. But lots of reasons for skepticism.

A veritable cornucopia of reasons for skepticism. After all JR is still the Big Bad Wolf and Getz is Red Riding Hood.

JR has always been  the wolf in sheep's clothing.

It's actually refreshing when so many talking heads refuse to put the blame where it truly belongs that Passan does.

As far as giving Getz time that just makes sense but we all know true change won't happen until JR isn't the owner.

Notice I said "change"  but didn't say things will get better. Can't ever be sure things will get better but we are hoping it's hard to get much worse than it's been.

13 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Don’t forget YouTube. And their infamous Sox Math video. 

A Passan level guest is a pretty impressive get for an independent fan blog/pod like theirs. They’re doing something right to build a pretty big online following in only a few years. 

They have been talking with Passan on Twitter for a few years now and I think he has appeared once before.  They made the infamous “Jeff Passan with long hair” meme famous 😂

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

40+ year olds who think they are 19 year old frat boys

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Sounds like my trajectory. I'll give them a listen. 

Yea they have fun, they drink and curse and do the whole make fun of each other and themselves that guys  do when you're not too worried about hurting anyone's feelings that only works in a true friendship setting. More sensitive types may find it distasteful but if you wanna feel like your partying away amongst like minded individuals you'll enjoy it.

I know My Sox Summer has posted here in the past. Not sure if Beefloaf or Chorizy has.