Teoscar Hernández to Dodgers

Tnetennba

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They should absolutely go out and sign Liam.

I feel like they've done those 2 year type deals for guys who were going to miss the whole/most of the first season of the deals.

Doubt he would help much coming back late in the year, but he can be a great addition for 2025.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like they've done those 2 year type deals for guys who were going to miss the whole/most of the first season of the deals.

Doubt he would help much coming back late in the year, but he can be a great addition for 2025.

Playoff bullpen piece is my thought.

I'm surprised some owners, like Jerry, are refusing to sell their teams. You'd think the desparity between the haves ($$ contracts) and have nots would embarass Reinsdorf. Sox could never sign a guy like this. In theory, how can the Sox and Twins and Royals compete? 

I'm also surprised they haven't switched the divisions around. Put a big money team or two in the Central and they'd dominate.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm surprised some owners, like Jerry, are refusing to sell their teams. You'd think the desparity between the haves ($$ contracts) and have nots would embarass Reinsdorf. Sox could never sign a guy like this. In theory, how can the Sox and Twins and Royals compete? 

I'm also surprised they haven't switched the divisions around. Put a big money team or two in the Central and they'd dominate.

Why couldn’t the Sox have made a deal like this?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

$29.5 million total for a fringe All Star level player not particularly known for his defense?

They can barely handle paying Benintendi $15 million...certainly Moncada will be out the door too with his option looking to soak up 25% of team salary.

No way that will happen.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

$29.5 million total for a fringe All Star level player not particularly known for his defense?

They can barely handle paying Benintendi $15 million...certainly Moncada will be out the door too with his option looking to soak up 25% of team salary.

No way that will happen.

It’s $23.5M. $15M this year and the rest deferred. They could have done this. If they should have is debatable.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s $23.5M. $15M this year and the rest deferred. They could have done this. If they should have is debatable.

It’s literally like a 1/$19M deal on a PV basis…easily doable for us, but Teoscar wouldn’t have accepted this from us even if offered.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm expecting what the Dodgers have done every year they play an actual season, overspend like the Mets and Padres the past few years, and come up short as always in the postseason.

Hope they also sign Snell, Bellinger, Hader and Chapman, and end up getting swept once again to some 80ish win wild card team. Would love to see Lance Lynn once again take the ball in an elimination game after the inevitable half dozen injuries and annual Dodgers domestic violence suspension decimates the rotation. Bring back Kershaw as well so he can get b**** slapped in Game 1.

The best part is all these deferrals will hamstring them with likely further penalties for exceeding "luxury taxes" in the next CBA which two dozen teams are fiddin' to impose on teams which dare to field competitive teams. 

I somehow have to keep reiterating this point: Friedman's big FA before Freeman was A.J. Pollock. He made big trades and signed extensions, but he didn't sign big ticket free agents.

He kept his powder dry for this offseason. This s%*# was calculated, unlike the Padres/Mets spending.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

I somehow have to keep reiterating this point: Friedman's big FA before Freeman was A.J. Pollock. He made big trades and signed extensions, but he didn't sign big ticket free agents.

He kept his powder dry for this offseason. This s%*# was calculated, unlike the Padres/Mets spending.

The Padres didn't need Bogaerts...Preller simply got frustrated he missed out on his very top targets and ended up settling.

Poor roster construction.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I really don’t care about Jerry’s money, but to what end?  Other than a pricey deadline trade candidate if he has a big first half, Teoscar doesn’t help this Sox team win anything in 2024.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Jerry doesn't care about winning every year. He just wants to win his way. 

Once again, the Cubs (after doing nothing so far this off season, at least not yet) and Cardinals (#12-13) were/are both favorites over the entire AL Central field...and Milwaukee and the Reds are currently considered right there too with Minnesota/Cleveland/Detroit.

With the Brewers, depends on whether they keep Burnes or not.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

The reason JR will not sell while he is alive is because of the capital gains tax hit, which if the team went for around two billion dollars, would be about 200 million dollars according to a tax person that was consulted in a story I did in August 2022. THEN he'd be responsible for the state of Illinois tax hit.

JR got his start working for the IRS remember. When it comes to his money he's not stupid.

We are stuck with him until nature decides that it is time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

He’s been in his job since 2015 and hasn’t won a legit World Series in a legit season which human beings have attended. Neither has the previous Dodgers regime, or the one before that, or the one before that. All this insurmountable brain power and money. Nada.

But carry on with the bed wetting because 29 teams were unwilling to sign Teoscar Hernandez.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He’s been in his job since 2015 and hasn’t won a legit World Series in a legit season which human beings have attended. Neither has the previous Dodgers regime, or the one before that, or the one before that. All this insurmountable brain power and money. Nada.

But carry on with the bed wetting because 29 teams were unwilling to sign Teoscar Hernandez.

Oh no, Dodgers fans have merely had to endure meaningful baseball every single year. How they suffer.

And we've argued your point about 2020's legitimacy repeatedly. Every team had a level playing field. It's legitimate. Otherwise, you can start playing all sorts of dumb games like Aaron Judge's AL home run record isn't legit (not in 155 games!), the 2005 World Series isn't legit (had a steroid user), etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oh no, Dodgers fans have merely had to endure meaningful baseball every single year. How they suffer.

And we've argued your point about 2020's legitimacy repeatedly. Every team had a level playing field. It's legitimate. Otherwise, you can start playing all sorts of dumb games like Aaron Judge's AL home run record isn't legit (not in 155 games!), the 2005 World Series isn't legit (had a steroid user), etc.

Were the playoffs truncated in 2020 or something?  If not, it doesn’t matter because the Dodgers are automatically rewarded a playoff spot each year and it just so happens that is the year they won it.

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Were the playoffs truncated in 2020 or something?  If not, it doesn’t matter because the Dodgers are automatically rewarded a playoff spot each year and it just so happens that is the year they won it.

According to SSHM, it is a Mickey Mouse ring (which doesn't even make sense as terminology since it wasn't played in the bubble like the NBA)

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I really don’t care about Jerry’s money, but to what end?  Other than a pricey deadline trade candidate if he has a big first half, Teoscar doesn’t help this Sox team win anything in 2024.

I would have preferred we done something like Atlanta did with the Mariner take some big short term money back for a prospect who has struggled with a ton of control.

If we were going to take on 20M+. I mean it's not like Geatz was going to be able to spend that money wisely elsewhere anyways. Might as well take on veteran trash for something rather than just giving away the money for nothing like MM.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I would have preferred we done something like Atlanta did with the Mariner take some big short term money back for a prospect who has struggled with a ton of control.

If we were going to take on 20M+. I mean it's not like Geatz was going to be able to spend that money wisely elsewhere anyways. Might as well take on veteran trash for something rather than just giving away the money for nothing like MM.

Of course we all want them to do that. I don’t think Jerry has ever let his GM operate that way though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quin said:

You keep repeating the same condescending posts, but they do not change the facts. The 2020 102 game owner lockout "Championship Season" was not a farce because cardboard cut-outs. It was a farce because 60 games was a glorified Deluxe Spring Training slate, and players didn't face the attrition of a full season (or near full season like in 1995).

My points are indisputable. There is and will always be far more parity in MLB with an open free agency system and teams like the Dodgers, Mets, Padres, and any other possible owner who wants to field a competitive team with no salary cap than there ever was pre 1975. Point two, the Dodgers have always had a substantial advantage in terms of resources, but it never translated to championships once Free Agency was enacted.

I suspect ten years later when the Dodgers have amassed zero, one, or clutch your pearls two max World Series over Ohtani's contract, assuming The MLB is still a thing a decade later, the goal posts will be shifted to "well that billion spent was merely a marketing deal". I can pull the same bedwetting quotes by the usual suspects here, Jerry Reinsdorf, and others about San Diego, the Mets, the Yankees when George was alive. It's bullshit, all of it.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You keep repeating the same condescending posts, but they do not change the facts. The 2020 102 game owner lockout "Championship Season" was not a farce because cardboard cut-outs. It was a farce because 60 games was a glorified Deluxe Spring Training slate, and players didn't face the attrition of a full season (or near full season like in 1995).

My points are indisputable. There is and will always be far more parity in MLB with an open free agency system and teams like the Dodgers, Mets, Padres, and any other possible owner who wants to field a competitive team with no salary cap than there ever was pre 1975. Point two, the Dodgers have always had a substantial advantage in terms of resources, but it never translated to championships once Free Agency was enacted.

I suspect ten years later when the Dodgers have amassed zero, one, or clutch your pearls two max World Series over Ohtani's contract, assuming The MLB is still a thing a decade later, the goal posts will be shifted to "well that billion spent was merely a marketing deal". I can pull the same bedwetting quotes by the usual suspects here, Jerry Reinsdorf, and others about San Diego, the Mets, the Yankees when George was alive. It's bullshit, all of it.

Feels like the Blue Jays are going to be the next team falling into the Thucydides Trap of spending too much without meaningful results.

They were the other franchise (along with SD) rebuilding at precisely the same time as the White Sox.

Looks like they can't finish off their moves to get to 90+ wins but they certainly have blown through a significant amount.