Jason Benetti wins 2023 Illinois Sportscaster of the Year Award

Congratulations to this young man who is a good role model for young people who may think they have limitations to their career paths for any reason.Having said that and with all due respect for him, I thought it was time to move on, even prior to any reported contractual issues.

IMO, it would also be a good idea to start phasing Stone out. As a long time Sox fan it seems like our play-by-play and color commentators should have some sort of chemistry.  When you start off with Stone as a given, the selection becomes limited and perhaps that decision has to essentially be ceded to Stone. I have always thought Stone would be happier as a Cubs announcer. He has been trending toward too much sarcasm and I for one, have often disagreed with his take on several players, coaches, etc. I know that is part of his job, but again, maybe a fresh perspective on everything is now in order. 

Edited by tray
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, tray said:

Congratulations to this young man who is a good role model for young people who may think they have limitations to their career paths for any reason.Having said that and with all due respect for him, I thought it was time to move on, even prior to any reported contractual issues.

IMO, it would also be a good idea to start phasing Stone out. As a long time Sox fan it seems like our play-by-play and color commentators should have some sort of chemistry.  When you start off with Stone as a given, the selection becomes limited and perhaps that decision has to essentially be ceded to Stone. I have always thought Stone would be happier as a Cubs announcer. He has been trending toward too much sarcasm and I for one, have often disagreed with his take on several players, coaches, etc. I know that is part of his job, but again, maybe a fresh perspective on everything is now in order. 

The White Sox can't even find a play by play broadcaster, finding both?

• Haha 2

Congrats to him.

All we need to know about the Sox is Bennetti is gone. A dream of his to broadcast his team. The team and organization is so full of bleep he left for Detroit of all places. My gosh, folks, this is a sign our team is the worst.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Eh, season tickets for students were pretty cheap back then.

Funny thing is when I search Google on my phone and put in Brooks Boyer, under his name it says....Basketball Player :cool:

15 hours ago, cuban_sammiches said:

I believe they announced at Sox fest that they are going with Gordo and a mop in the booth this season.

Sounds like a certain Clint Eastwood skit returning again this year…simply substitute an empty chair, etc.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nokona said:

Let it go guys.  Are we going to have a thread when Jason's microphone is retired at Homewood Flossmoor?

Fine. I will happily talk about the promise of the new White Sox PBP broadcaster since they are clearly someone to be excited about, with new and forward thinking.

Who are they?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fine. I will happily talk about the promise of the new White Sox PBP broadcaster since they are clearly someone to be excited about, with new and forward thinking.

Who are they?

IMG-5428.jpg

“Thank you for your support, @Balta1701.  Jerry is just waiting to announce me as your new PBP broadcaster at the Winter With The Sox event on Janu…  AND THAT’S A DRIVE INTO DEEP LEFT FIELD BY CASTELLANOS!!!”

Why, if they already have a gig, would anyone want to be the White Sox PBP person? They chased off Benetti. The team is awful. TV ratings suck. You will work with an analyst with a huge ego.  What, unless you are a White Sox fanatic, is there for you? This will ultimately be a very disappointed hire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What, unless you are a White Sox fanatic, is there for you? This will ultimately be a very disappointed hire. 

We can just copy and paste that for every position, on and off the field. 

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

What, unless you are a White Sox fanatic, is there for you? This will ultimately be a very disappointed hire. 

We can just copy and paste that for every position, on and off the field. 

Except for unemployed former Royals players and front office staff...

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except for unemployed former Royals players and front office staff...

The new drink at the park will be a Crown Royal n Royal Crown. Can't get enough royal. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/19/business/detroit-lions-ticket-prices-nfl-playoffs-economy/index.html

Detroit sports really on a roll…wouldn’t be totally shocking if the Tigers had a 2013 Royals late run in them.  True competitors in 2025.  Benetti knows exactly what he’s doing.  That and chasing the ghost of Ernie Harwell.

Southeast Michigan has a "hum" about it right now, mostly from football, but also with the Red Wings looking competent, plus the Tigers looking to be on the rise.