Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

11 hours ago, tray said:

Most Sox fans are used to driving to GRF from the suburbs. They will never avail themselves of mass transit for security reasons among other things.

Everything considered, maybe building on the site of the original Comiskey makes the most sense. The site is not in a hole, no need for environmental, it has historical significance, parking and infrastructure are already there, and the Sox/ISFA and City already own the land and surrounding parking. Why make things more complicated than they need to be....so people from the SW suburbs can paddle there down the Sanitary canal ? Sometimes the easiest and most cost effective solution is the best one.

Bridgeport/ Armor Square would be an easier site to develop but has done little or nothing to produce hordes of Sox fans. Moving closer to downtown where a lot of people work would provide an upgrade to the Sox image imo. There would be a better opportunity to attract casual fans who are scared of the big bad South Side. Unfortunate but true. I have never had an issue with the South Side or taking the Green Line to games.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The current logo is nationally known, even outside baseball. It's such a classic that I have a hard time seeing a new ownership group rebranding and drastically changing it. Maybe a few new alternate uniforms, but I don't see that classic Sox going away.

Found the one page I was thinking of, it's 9 years old now. I don't know who this person is but I liked some of the concepts. There's one that's literally just our current logo and unis with red trim that wouldn't be a huge departure. 

https://clumsytuba.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/white-sox-uniform-concept-updates/

home_50s.jpg

• Fire 2
  • Paper Bag 1

30 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Found the one page I was thinking of, it's 9 years old now. I don't know who this person is but I liked some of the concepts. There's one that's literally just our current logo and unis with red trim that wouldn't be a huge departure. 

home_50s.jpg

I've seen those before and I quite like them! I like a few of the alt designs too. 

I actually love the 83 batter-man logo, I'm just tired of the uniforms. I'd love an update/redesign with the 83 logo worked in.

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are referring to the chop job, it wasn't on the 83's.

Correct, Sale sliced and diced the 1976's. But the 83's do need to be retired again IMO. They were fun for a while, but it's time for a new alt uni.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

home_50s.jpg

Those are still my favorites which we had in the GO GO years.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The way I see it a new “best in class” stadium + a new “anyone but a Reinsdorf” ownership = a complete transformation for the franchise.  This is such a no-brainer move for the Sox and we’re truly lucky this plot of land is even available and actually attainable for us.  Get this s%*# done so Sox fans can actually dream of a promising future for the next generation of fans.

Hopefully Elon buys the team

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Getting ahead of ourselves but it might be the next logical step: does a new stadium and a new ownership group also lead to logo rebranding? Remember, new Comiskey ushered in the current logo and colors we all love (pretty sure opening day of the new park was the first day in the new unis).

Like many, I love our logo and don't really want a change. But there was a fan mockup a few years ago that added red as a tertiary color to the current setup that I really liked, mostly red piping or outlining. Wasn't a big change, just an upgrade to the existing stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a change to our logo to really overhaul the image and perception for the organization to go along with a shiny new facility and ownership.

That’s an interesting question.  Honestly, with how iconic our logo already is I’d lean towards no, but I could see them doing some outside the box stuff to really inject new life into the brand & image of the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Some new alternates would be cool.

Not new, but would like to see these 1967-1969 era jerseys more. I'm sick of the 1983 jerseys 

DrXxzPvX4AAIZ2f.jpg

30_4154A_lg.jpeg

Edited by ron883
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I want George Lucas and his rich wife to buy the team.

I get the feeling that if JR picks the next owner, not much will change.  With as many owners as he has tried to block over the years, I can't see him pick someone against what he sees as his own legacy.  Maybe it is PTSD and all, but it is a real fear of mine.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I get the feeling that if JR picks the next owner, not much will change.  With as many owners as he has tried to block over the years, I can't see him pick someone against what he sees as his own legacy.  Maybe it is PTSD and all, but it is a real fear of mine.

I think Jerry will pass away before any sale takes place. When he passes, his children will likely be responsible for the  organizational sale. The new stadium will definitley make the White Sox more attractive for buyers... should be very interesting who the new ownership group will be. Whoever it is, I hope they don't follow the current motto of "THy Shall Never Pay a Single Player $100 million" I mean why pay a superstar when you can spread the $$ around to a bunch of subplar players?  🤡

16 hours ago, ron883 said:

The article said city hall needs to make the right plays. I want Mayor Johnson to get it done. 

Yeah good luck with this. Jerry is gonna find out soon enough how broke the City is. Johnson is also going to get roasted by his base if he gets on board with massive tax payer subisidies for a sports franchise valued at billions of dollars. 

Times have changed big time since Mr. Reinsdorf fleeced the city and state for New Comisky Park. 

18 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

I think Jerry will pass away before any sale takes place. When he passes, his children will likely be responsible for the  organizational sale. The new stadium will definitley make the White Sox more attractive for buyers... should be very interesting who the new ownership group will be. Whoever it is, I hope they don't follow the current motto of "THy Shall Never Pay a Single Player $100 million" I mean why pay a superstar when you can spread the $$ around to a bunch of subplar players?  🤡

I don't see a situation where Jerry hasn't gotten this set up to his satisfaction before he dies.

16 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Yeah good luck with this. Jerry is gonna find out soon enough how broke the City is. Johnson is also going to get roasted by his base if he gets on board with massive tax payer subisidies for a sports franchise valued at billions of dollars. 

Times have changed big time since Mr. Reinsdorf fleeced the city and state for New Comisky Park. 

From what I can see the present hotel/motel tax will be extended for the new stadium.

46 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

From what I can see the present hotel/motel tax will be extended for the new stadium.

It isn't hard to squint a see a scenario where someone (probably Jerry or Jerry and the authority to some extent) write a check to cover the last $50 million on the old ballpark (or whatever is left by the time a new structure starts) and then keep the existing tax structure in place to finance the new set up.  Jerry gets a pay out and the Mayor gets to go on TV and say no "NEW" money is going to the stadium.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Obviously very possible, but I think his legacy immediately becomes leaving boatloads of wealth to generations of future Reinsdorfs and he will likely take the best deal financially and not someone aligned with views & approach.

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Why was Jerry able to do this, and not Kevin Warren? This question is not being asked, but for Bears fans, inquiring minds want to know. This has the potential to upend the new Bears Chief

He hasn’t done anything yet. They haven’t discussed the most important part, which is exactly what the Bears are stuck on.