Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

That doesn't make any sense. That would mean they only need $500mm for the park, which we all know won't come close. 

A $500 million ask would mean that the White Sox would be putting up probably the other $600-$700 million cost of the park.

This would be more reasonable and plausible than the city paying a full $1 billion for the park and the White Sox chipping in like $100-$200 million or whatever.

This is also why the White Sox should be out in front of this, because if we're not understanding things correctly, it benefits them to make everyone understand the numbers! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A $500 million ask would mean that the White Sox would be putting up probably the other $600-$700 million cost of the park.

This would be more reasonable and plausible than the city paying a full $1 billion for the park and the White Sox chipping in like $100-$200 million or whatever.

This is also why the White Sox should be out in front of this, because if we're not understanding things correctly, it benefits them to make everyone understand the numbers! 

Why would they report what's going on in the middle of negotiations? I don't see how it benefits anyone to reveal the numbers until something is finalized. 

If the current prospective contributions of the Sox are lower than than the final deal everyone here will have added info to crucify the evil billionaire. Not something the Sox want.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Why would they report what's going on in the middle of negotiations? I don't see how it benefits anyone to reveal the numbers until something is finalized. 

If the current prospective contributions of the Sox are lower than than the final deal everyone here will have added info to crucify the evil billionaire. Not something the Sox want.

PR hasn’t exactly been a White Sox organization strength.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

PR hasn’t exactly been a White Sox organization strength.

Agreed but disclosing information prior to the final deal won't help either.

I agree once everything is finalized. If it is.

46 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The number is out there. There are articles being written saying "not one damn penny". I'm sure sports radio in Chicago has had this today. I don't care how broken democracy is, if there's a strong, negative response from the constituents, money does not get spent on a project like this. 

Being upfront and open will help get people on board. If they came up with a number through a reasonable means, tell us what that number is and why giving it to them is a good deal for the city. 

If they didn't come up with that number by reasonable means, and they can't justify it, then those who say "Nashville is that way" are correct.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

Screenshot_20240219_114127.jpg

I am wondering what people like about the nondescript office park stadium proposed by Related. This thing is really smashed in between tall buildings without much vehicular or pedestrian ingress/egress or green areas shown on the site plan. And where are the bars? In various high rise buildings? 

There is a triple deck facing East that may be as high or higher than the 500 level at GRF. Elevators to get up to that level?  A huge flat screen ( atop a second deck with lights on top?!) that obscures the view of downtown from many vantages.

High/mid rises springing up around the park with cranes and new construction for a few years?  I assume residents and commercial tenants  and their customers will have parking of some sort or have some restrictions 80/365  days a year?

Nothing faces the sanitary canal (aka bubbly creek) or the railroad bone yard beyond. The only road out that has been built looks like it is two lanes and may interfere with the latest plan.

A 2 dimensional site plan (I believe this is of a former 78 plan) but in any case, surrounding could end up being any height. Note the elevation difference between the green area and where the man is standing. I wondered if that was what was looking at when I recently drove past there. It looked like a former dump/fill site (oh wait, it was). 

I know some people do not like the South side or Bridgeport and yearn for something all shiny and new, but this proposal is complete bulshit.  It has been heavily promoted by a wealthy developer who sensed an opportunity to take advantage by leveraging the situation.  Unfortunately JR is the wrong man to try to leverage on a real estate development deal. He has seen  more attempts at grift with real estate proposals than any of us will ever know. 

Put the kibosh on this foolhardy plan and focus on the baseball side of the organization. Spring Training is here and I look forward to Opening Day without any more of this noise in the media. It has really become a distraction.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, tray said:

I am wondering what people like about the nondescript office park stadium proposed by Related. This thing is really smashed in between tall buildings without much vehicular or pedestrian ingress/egress or green areas shown on the site plan. And where are the bars? In various high rise buildings? 

There is a triple deck facing East that may be as high or higher than the 500 level at GRF. Elevators to get up to that level?  A huge flat screen ( atop a second deck with lights on top?!) that obscures the view of downtown from many vantages.

High/mid rises springing up around the park with cranes and new construction for a few years?  I assume residents and commercial tenants  and their customers will have parking of some sort or have some restrictions 80/365  days a year?

Nothing faces the sanitary canal (aka bubbly creek) or the railroad bone yard beyond. The only road out that has been built looks like it is two lanes and may interfere with the latest plan.

A 2 dimensional site plan (I believe this is of a former 78 plan) but in any case, surrounding could end up being any height. Note the elevation difference between the green area and where the man is standing. I wondered if that was what was looking at when I recently drove past there. It looked like a former dump/fill site (oh wait, it was). 

I know some people do not like the South side or Bridgeport and yearn for something all shiny and new, but this proposal is complete bulshit.  It has been heavily promoted by a wealthy developer who sensed an opportunity to take advantage by leveraging the situation.  Unfortunately JR is the wrong man to try to leverage on a real estate development deal. He has seen  more attempts at grift with real estate proposals than any of us will ever know. 

Put the kibosh on this foolhardy plan and focus on the baseball side of the organization. Spring Training is here and I look forward to Opening Day without any more of this noise in the media. It has really become a distraction.

image.jpeg

I'm now fully on board with the Sox moving to this site, solely to see you cry about it when it happens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

image.jpeg

Can’t think of any reason the Sox would possibly want a massive distraction this year…

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm now fully on board with the Sox moving to this site, solely to see you cry about it when it happens. 

And I am here for it. So much irrational anger of absolutely nothing.  I don't know that I have laughed harder on Soxtalk than reading someone taking artist renderings as some kind of biblical cannon to get big mad about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The number is out there. There are articles being written saying "not one damn penny". I'm sure sports radio in Chicago has had this today. I don't care how broken democracy is, if there's a strong, negative response from the constituents, money does not get spent on a project like this. 

Being upfront and open will help get people on board. If they came up with a number through a reasonable means, tell us what that number is and why giving it to them is a good deal for the city. 

If they didn't come up with that number by reasonable means, and they can't justify it, then those who say "Nashville is that way" are correct.

The key there is if they come up with it through reasonable means. These are just leaked numbers nothing official and there are people all over the place. 

They can't explain how the numbers were reasonably or unreasonably reached until the numbers are finalized. Nothing has been officially announced so the numbers out there are speculation. 

Once the final numbers are out there then you can reasonably decided if they should go to Nashville. But until then it's speculation.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The key there is if they come up with it through reasonable means. These are just leaked numbers nothing official and there are people all over the place. 

They can't explain how the numbers were reasonably or unreasonably reached until the numbers are finalized. Nothing has been officially announced so the numbers out there are speculation. 

Once the final numbers are out there then you can reasonably decided if they should go to Nashville. But until then it's speculation.

It's not clear who leaked it...but if someone were trying to kill this project, they wouldn't' leak it at 4:00 on a Friday. They'd leak it on a Tuesday, for maximum press coverage. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

It's not clear who leaked it...but if someone were trying to kill this project, they wouldn't' leak it at 4:00 on a Friday. They'd leak it on a Tuesday, for maximum press coverage. 

I don't disagree. But until it's official no one with any authority is going to comment. There is just advantage to it.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't disagree. But until it's official no one with any authority is going to comment. There is just advantage to it.

There's a big advantage to getting out in front of this and giving people who think this is a good project what we need to make a case for it. I'll do the work, I'm excited for the concept, I understand that this is how big projects get done to grow modern cities, but I can't defend $500 million or $1 billion unless I actually know what number I'm defending and where it came from.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a big advantage to getting out in front of this and giving people who think this is a good project what we need to make a case for it. I'll do the work, I'm excited for the concept, I understand that this is how big projects get done to grow modern cities, but I can't defend $500 million or $1 billion unless I actually know what number I'm defending and where it came from.

Understandable. But until all the numbers are finalized you don't know what to like, hate, defend or anything. From what it understand they are still competing with the bears for public money so nothing is set in stone including if the project will even develop.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why would Jerry leak his own ask to the general public with a figure of a billion dollars?

3 hours ago, Tony said:

You always try to make things personal... Tony. Are you angry? You seem angry.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

So a man who wants no information on his team or activities out there leaked that he is asking for a billion dollars because why?

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

There’s your answer, he knew it would leak this week anyway so he was hoping it would be a non story by Monday.

Assume he’s an out of touch businessman stuck in the 80s and surrounded by yes men. He doesn’t believe the public can help him, he only wants every cent he can get, and. He expects to bully the state government into caving with threats of leaving like he did last time. So we play the 6 months ago charade or meeting with Nashville for leverage, we put together a plan with some positives, but we don’t do our homework or try to get the public on board at all because they don’t matter. We will threaten to leave and they will cave. You leak stuff like this on a Friday so that it’s a non story by Monday, after all it appeared in the Saturday paper and that’s how people get their news.

Fits as a nice version of events to me.

• Paper Bag 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the team will move this time. People aren't going to vote in a tax for this stadium. It's a new era. Chicago still has the Bears, Cubs, Bulls and Hawks. This poorly run organization I feel will move this time unless they accept the fact GRate is their field for a long time to come.

• Like 1