Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And there it is.  If he actually took the White Sox out of the area as a 90+ year old, he might be known as the biggest asshole ever.

When a bad owner threatens to leave you pay for his charter. His replacement could not be any worse. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And with good reason given the last 43 years of history by and large don't you think?

He’s wont be around long enough to really enjoy any new stadium.  The fans will get more out of this deal than him.

you can’t take your money with you to the next life

Edited by Green Line

They’re not staying at Guaranteed Rate.  Its the worst ballpark in the MLB.    The fact that its not literally crumbling is the only argument I hear in its favor.  Either this deal happens or he moves - either to somewhere like Naperville or a new metro area.

I know as a Chicago-based Sox fan which of those three options I choose.  The State of Illinois and Chicago will throw away whatever money is not spent on this project to their crony friends so I am not sure why anybody really cares.  The plan as presented will further revitalize the South Loop and a new Red Line station is always welcome.

Edited by Green Line

12 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Bye Jerry. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. 

There's not a single potential owner that will keep the team in Chicago if they have to stay at Guaranteed Rate.  Anybody is going to ask for public financing, which has been given to countless teams across the league over the past two decades.

Just say you hate the Sox and want them gone.

I took Jerry's statements in the article to mean that he personally won't take the Sox out of Chicago, but when he's dead his son will have to sell and any owner that doesn't intrinsically love the Sox/Chicago like he does will want to get the hell out of there if they aren't contractually obligated to a nice Chicago-based stadium.

10 minutes ago, Green Line said:

There's not a single potential owner that will keep the team in Chicago if they have to stay at Guaranteed Rate.  Anybody is going to ask for public financing, which has been given to countless teams across the league over the past two decades.

I hate the Sox because of the way they operate. 

If Jerry would have done this the right way 35 years ago and built Camden Yards on the 78 site, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. It's his job to fix this. This is his f*** up. 

I had accepted the way the Sox operate until they told me as a fan that things would be different during the 2016-2017 rebuild. They lied, and betrayed the fans. f*** them. 

Also there is no organization that has as much contempt for its own fanbase than the White Sox. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Jerry got another one…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Anything else worth while in the piece (cut off after a few sentences for me)?

(Jerry) Indicated he’s on a fast track, hoping to begin preliminary construction work later this year and play in the new stadium by the 2028 season.

Everything I've seen to this point has been 2030, 2028 is absurdly quick.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Bye Jerry. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. 

You people are dumber than a bag of hammers. This is how the world works. 

Between 2000 and 2022, Amazon has received more than $5 billion in subsidies as part of deals with communities to build fulfillment centers. The goal is understandable: Officials want to create jobs and grow local economies.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jake said:

I took Jerry's statements in the article to mean that he personally won't take the Sox out of Chicago, but when he's dead his son will have to sell and any owner that doesn't intrinsically love the Sox/Chicago like he does will want to get the hell out of there if they aren't contractually obligated to a nice Chicago-based stadium.

That's more the way I read it.

Either way what do you expect him to say, "we just want a new stadium because we feel like it."

19 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Between 2000 and 2022, Amazon has received more than $5 billion in subsidies as part of deals with communities to build fulfillment centers. The goal is understandable: Officials want to create jobs and grow local economies.

Isn't Wal-Mart arguably worse in terms of forced government subsidies due to their salary and benefits (or lack thereof) structure...along with their aversion to building stores in "inner city/urban" areas of major cities?

• Like 1

The economics of baseball have changed.

Guaranteed Rate would be a great ballpark in its current configuration in the ‘90’s. It’s still a good place to watch baseball.

Fact is that modern day ballparks are a full experience, and the inside of the ballpark is just one part of the experience. Say what you will about posters who lament the loss of tailgating possibilities like THAT is going to be the death knell for baseball on the South Side, but it is indicative of the way the modern fan “consumes” baseball.

It is this economic and competitive reality that is driving this “need.”

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Ignorant statement. Our nation has been hallowed out by the blatant kleptocracy of the past 40 years. These are literal slave jobs and all the profits goes to Bezos and his whore.

This will cost $7B-$10B over 30-40 years after counting the upfront costs, the taxes never recovered, the additional renovations, and most importantly the substantial interest paid each and every years to funds this s%*#.

$800M was spent to pay off the $40M the duplicitous and or blatantly ignorant media focuses on the past 14 years. Billions have been spent since 1988 on the Sox stadium, fixing several aspects of s%*# Jerry insisted on, and then giving the fucking worthless 10 games a year Bears a boondoggle.

Neither of these lecherous families are going anywhere. Any replacement market will be much smaller than what they would be leaving. Jerry literally called all you rubes idiots when reflecting on his “negotiations” in the 1980s, when those empty threats and these empty threats were all complete and utter bullshit.

Let the Bears and Sox move to Salt Lake City. Good luck with that.

I should add… other teams are reaping the benefits of developments and neighborhoods centered around the ballpark.

The Sox have their parking lot revenue, thanks to Jerry’s 1970’s-modern economic model.

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's more the way I read it.

Either way what do you expect him to say, "we just want a new stadium because we feel like it."

A lot of people hate Jerry so much they'd rather see the Sox fail.  They are going to complain regardless of what comes out.

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ignorant statement. Our nation has been hallowed out by the blatant kleptocracy of the past 40 years. These are literal slave jobs and all the profits goes to Bezos and his whore.

This will cost $7B-$10B over 30-40 years after counting the upfront costs, the taxes never recovered, the additional renovations, and most importantly the substantial interest paid each and every years to funds this s%*#.

$800M was spent to pay off the $40M the duplicitous and or blatantly ignorant media focuses on the past 14 years. Billions have been spent since 1988 on the Sox stadium, fixing several aspects of s%*# Jerry insisted on, and then giving the fucking worthless 10 games a year Bears a boondoggle.

Neither of these lecherous families are going anywhere. Any replacement market will be much smaller than what they would be leaving. Jerry literally called all you rubes idiots when reflecting on his “negotiations” in the 1980s, when those empty threats and these empty threats were all complete and utter bullshit.

Let the Bears and Sox move to Salt Lake City. Good luck with that.

Lauren Sanchez isn't going to "like" this post, lol...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JoeC said:

The economics of baseball have changed.

Guaranteed Rate would be a great ballpark in its current configuration in the ‘90’s. It’s still a good place to watch baseball.

Fact is that modern day ballparks are a full experience, and the inside of the ballpark is just one part of the experience. Say what you will about posters who lament the loss of tailgating possibilities like THAT is going to be the death knell for baseball on the South Side, but it is indicative of the way the modern fan “consumes” baseball.

It is this economic and competitive reality that is driving this “need.”

It's not just the economics. Its part of society today. There has to be more going on and more to do than just watching a ballgame. Especially,  baseball which is too slow for most.

• Like 1