Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

Ask families from the Southwest suburbs who attend a lot of Sox games if they would put their kids  on mass transit through the South side hoods to get to a stadium in the South loop that has no on-site parking.  Some will, but  you put the future of the franchise at risk with a move that is really unnecessary.  So easy for Related to fill in that site with other offices buildings.

I would bet many who think it is a good idea don't attend WSox games anyway, so why should they care ?

Anyway that site is such old news.

https://abc7chicago.com/amazon-headquarters-hq2-south-loop-development-chinatown/3460543/

• Haha 3

The Cubs have no dedicated parking yet thousands of people drive to their games every day.  The majority are not taking the red line.  If people want to drive, the market will take care of it.  Plenty of private lots will spring up…  if there is money to be made, somebody will figure it out.

this is not a legit concern.

Edited by Green Line

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As has been pointed out the expansion cities talked about don't come close to the opportunities offered by the Chicago area. Not even close.

There is tremendous untapped potential here if a new owner would build a good organization. 

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

Not only do the other proposed cities make zero sense financially.  MLB owners will absolutely block any attempt by the Sox to ever move out of Chicago.  Revenue sharing is a thing, Chicago is the 3rd largest media market in the league, and if the Sox ever did leave the Cubs, Milwaukee, and StL would block any future expansion into the market.  Zero percent chance the Sox leave regardless of what Jerry wants you to believe.  

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The most likely scenario is they work out a deal with the city/state for a new ballpark and Reinsdorf leaves the team to his son.  

I hope you are all right and that anyone who thinks JR or the new owner will move the team are wrong.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

While I know a lot of folks here only watch White Sox baseball and would give up  baseball if the Sox moved, a whole lot more fans would eventually slide over to the north side because they love baseball and Chicago. While a great Yankee type franchise would rule this city, reality is as a mediocre second tier franchise they would do fine in some new market that is starved for a major sports team.  There may be a small slip in revenue from Chicago, but the league will make it up with a new market. They will have an excuse for not being competitive and life goes on. They may be the next Philadelphia/KC/Oakland/nameless Athletics. 

I have thought about if the Sox moved if I would need to be a Cubs fan by default to enjoy some baseball. I would not get the same attachment to them as I did the White Sox. There is no family history on the north side (except for my wife who is a Cubs fan) and my family grew up on the south side. I couldn’t do it.

4 minutes ago, Green Line said:

The Cubs have no dedicated parking yet thousands of people drive to their games every day.  The majority are not taking the red line.  If people want to drive, the market will take care of it.  Plenty of private lots will spring up…  if there is money to be made, somebody will figure it out.

Parking at GRF is one of the easy things about going to the game. I can park and tailgate there and then go to a game for an affordable price. I can’t say the same at Wrigley. Wrigley’s concourse is a b**** to get around as well.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Texsox said:

Nashville called, said they want a MLB franchise. 

They absolutely do and has been written about recently in Sports Illustrated the betting now is on them getting an expansion franchise headed by minority ownership in former pitcher Dave Stewart and his group which has Tony LaRussa as a advisor. The story said they have already had meetings with Manfred and laid out specific plans on how the franchise would be run and that the majority of key positions would be filled by minority individuals which would please MLB.   

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They absolutely do and has been written about recently in Sports Illustrated the betting now is on them getting an expansion franchise headed by minority ownership in former pitcher Dave Stewart and his group which has Tony LaRussa as a advisor. The story said they have already had meetings with Manfred and laid out specific plans on how the franchise would be run and that the majority of key positions would be filled by minority individuals which would please MLB.   

Better hope it is just an expansion team.

23 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Better hope it is just an expansion team.

What will be very interesting is the timing of any announcements. Personally I can't believe MLB would do this to one of their own but remember JR was dead set against Manfred being named commissioner and was vocal about it.

If MLB/Manfred announce Nashville has been given an expansion team before JR's second attempt at stadium extorsion is settled it would completely pull the rug out from under him. 

• Like 1

All the folks trollishly agitating for the Sox to relocate to Nashville should read the Coyotes reddit page and see all the pain and anguish it caused, or just watch the final sign tv off.  It will not be funny when reality hits.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Green Line said:

All the folks trollishly agitating for the Sox to relocate to Nashville should read the Coyotes reddit page and see all the pain and anguish it caused, or just watch the final sign tv off.  It will not be funny when reality hits.

And all they had to do was give them a billion or so and they would have stayed.

• Like 1

This is when JR is next level genius. Hey Nashville, you don't need a new expansion team. We have everything an expansion team would have. No stars. No wins. But with over 100 years of expansion club like experience. 

• Haha 1

Since I don't pay much in taxes each year to Illinois I'm in favor of a special tax assessment to everyone living in Cook County to pay for great stadiums for the Sox and Bears. I think about $250 per person should do it. We don't want a Coyote type thing to happen. 

And yes, that was sarcasm. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

And all they had to do was give them a billion or so and they would have stayed.

The incompetent ownership not paying their bills is what doomed them and led them to relocate. It was only a matter of time before the league had enough. 

8 hours ago, Green Line said:

I anticipate reality to feel like a release from bondage.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

Here is what I would like to see happen. Reinsdorf moves the ML & all the Minor League teams and personnel to Nashville and renames the ML team.

The Chicago White Sox name and franchise history stays in Chicago with the new expansion owner of the club. It would be similar to what the Cleveland Browns did.

Edited by Falstaff

16 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Here is what I would like to see happen. Reinsdorf moves the ML & all the Minor League teams and personnel to Nashville and renames the ML team.

The Chicago White Sox name and franchise history stays in Chicago with the new expansion owner of the club. It would be similar to what the Cleveland Browns did.

Trying to model us after the Cleveland Browns may be the darkest suggestion yet.

15 hours ago, The Beast said:

I wonder what a buyer thinks of Guaranteed Rate Field and doesn’t think their current home works for the White Sox and fans. I also wonder if a buyer would move them out of the state, or if we should be more concerned with JR threatening moving out of the state.

Oh, absolutely I think a new Sox owner would want the team to play at the South Loop site instead of being locked in long-term at Guaranteed Rate Field in an area that just doesn't draw much visitors outside of attending a baseball game.  Catering to fans who want a ballpark surrounded by a sea of parking lots isn't working out and isn't a good business model going forward.

My guess is that if the team was sold in the next year or two (let's say Jerry suddenly passes) and The 78 lot was still available, they'd find a way to come up with $1B or so in private funding to make that ballpark happen because they realize that would boost market share and revenue for this team plus give a huge boost to the value of the franchise.  

As far as whether a new owner would move them out of state.  I wouldn't say the chances of it are zero.  The other markets don't compare to Chicago now, but they are booming.  What if the new owner has roots in North Carolina or San Antonio?  It's not implausible that they'd buy the team and move it to their home state.  Utah has given the green light to spend $900M in public funds toward a new MLB stadium - do people really think that there isn't a buyer out there who wouldn't jump at the chance to play there instead of being the forgotten stepchild in Chicago being forever overshadowed by the Cubs and playing at what will soon be a 40-year old generic ballpark with not much around it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Highland said:

There should be no new stadium. Period.

Then be willing to have the team move if they get a better offer. Match the offer or risk having Chicago be a one team city. 

I'd like to see a bidding war between Arlington Heights and Chicago for the team. 

13 hours ago, Green Line said:

$60, 70, 80, $100 (supply and demand) to park a car to have the privilege to purchase beer for $12 a can, NO THANKS.