Sox select John Schriffen to be TV PbP announcer

fathom

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

On a Zoom call with reporters, Schriffen said he doesn’t know the exact number of games he’ll broadcast, but he intends to call a vast majority.

“I want to be the voice and face of the Chicago White Sox broadcast,” he said. “That was very clear, and that’s something I talked about with [chairman Jerry Reinsdorf] early on. Whoever he hires, he wanted to make sure that this was going to be their main priority, and I said I am very clear on that. That’s the agreement we had very early on in this process, and that’s the understanding that we have.”

--------------------------------------

Obviously that was a big, big stumbling block with Benetti wasn't it?

He better eat his first Colossal Sundae Helmet with a knife and fork.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:59 AM, Tnetennba said:

Benetti to McKnight is definitely a step down in quality, but there are worse announcers out there. It’s not ideal IMO, but it could be much much worse. Imagine a Len Kasper Gordon Beckham pairing full time… 😵😵

Connor McKnight might be a bland flavor of vanilla, but I’ll take him over the KC’s, LAA’s, TB’s of the announcing world. 

Kasper Gordo combo would be the Ambien combo will put you to sleep guaranteed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Saw the video and liked what I heard, I  got the feeling from Bennetti that though he was a Sox fan it seemed like he didn’t care if the Sox won or lost, Schriffen seems like he has more passion than Bennetti, we shall see

You probably lose some of your fandom when you get to finally work for your favorite team but realize that your boss and the owner are assholes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

When it came down to the final 3, I thought Connor had a 99.9% chance at the job.

Connor will get plenty of work when Schriffen is doing network bowling broadcasts. Can't wait until smarmy Steve works out his new shtick with the trainee. Schriffen will angle a new gig with ESPORTS now that he is in demand.  MVC babes volleyball could be in the cards. 

• TLR 1

34 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Kiss the ring, John.  Also, more proof that JR wasn’t a fan of Benetti’s extra non-Sox work.  Why would you not want one of your sportscasters getting national recognition and hype, even if he has to miss a few Sox games?  JR apparently doesn’t have a problem with Steve Stone taking tons of vacations and never traveling to the west coast, but with Benetti it was the end of the world.

A meeting with Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and Stone last weekend in Scottsdale, Ariz., sealed the deal, with Schriffen and Stone hitting it off “off the bat.” A half-hour meeting turned into a three-hour dinner, Schriffen said.

“The White Sox, specifically, is very exciting for me just because of what the organization is,” he said Thursday on a video conference. “When you look at what Jerry has done for this organization … he just lives, breathes, sleeps baseball. And when I met with Jerry this past weekend, it was exciting to learn and just feel his passion for the team and just the history of baseball and how much he loves it and our shared passion for it.”

Schriffen isn’t nearly as high profile as Benetti and he’s open to working most or all Sox games this season and beyond.

“I am all in,” Schriffen said. “That was something I talked with Jerry about early on, whoever he hired, he wanted to make sure that person, this was going to be their main priority. I said, ‘I am very clear on that.’ That was the agreement we had very early on in this process and that’s the understanding that we have.”

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Kiss the ring, John.  Also, more proof that JR wasn’t a fan of Benetti’s extra non-Sox work.  Why would you not want one of your sportscaster getting national recognition and hype, even if he has to miss a few Sox games.  JR apparently doesn’t have a problem with Steve Stone taking tons of vacations and never traveling to the west coast.

Stone carries enough water for the org to keep JR happy it would seem. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Saw the video and liked what I heard, I  got the feeling from Bennetti that though he was a Sox fan it seemed like he didn’t care if the Sox won or lost, Schriffen seems like he has more passion than Bennetti, we shall see

Passion is a must.  When I'm discussed I want the PBP guy to be discussed.  Same goes for when I am deliriously happy.  Yeah...I know.

Assuming the MLB White Sox article is true, he passed the Steve Stone, Jerry Reinsdorf and most importantly, the food eating test via the three hour dinner in Arizona. 

I prefer listening to radio baseball broadcasts followed by watching highlights on MLB.com, but hope to enjoy Schriffin’s work when I’m able to catch games on TV.

This article gives some background on his work including beyond sports. He started as a pitcher at Dartmouth before being injured, followed by announcing games for the Big Green before graduating.

https://www.axios.com/local/chicago/2024/01/25/john-schriffen-white-sox-broadcaster

Edited by South Side Hit Men

46 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Schriffen most definitely eats food on the air. I believe he was on screen multiple times with Skyline during a Kansas-Cincinnati game earlier this year.

He must have used a knife and fork and had his napkin ready.  That was his first screening for this job.  Smart guy.

31 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He must have used a knife and fork and had his napkin ready.  That was his first screening for this job.  Smart guy.

I'm sure he avoided consuming anything that could be considered "messy" or with sauce splatter issues like spaghetti.

Presumably they didn't go to Olive Garden, lol, but a very typical local steakhouse.   Or who knows, a Brooklyn-style delicatessen.

“This isn’t like some stepping stone place. I am the Chicago White Sox’ play-by-play (announcer).”

Really feels like a shot at Benetti from the bosses through the new guy to me. Seems pretty obvious that upper management was threatened by Jason’s rising star, and they went out of their way to make sure the new hire had the requisite fielty.