ST Thread

pcq

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Everyone on the bench makes the pro-rated MLB salary based on days on the ML roster of $740k or more in 2024. The maximum Pillar will earn is $260k over the minimum if he manages to stay on the White Sox roster, including stints on the MLB IL, the entire season. He is also eligible for up to $500k with enough Plate Appearances ($50k for 150 PA, $50k more for each 25 thereafter through 375 PA).

He is only guaranteed $180k at this point if he never makes the MLB roster. He would have been guaranteed up to $3M on the original deal, less the agreed upon pro-rated salary for time spent in the minors.

That’s a huge difference, wow.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

The White Sox are gonna be a team players bang down the door to join so they can experience financial fuckery.

Yeah, it's not worth brining him back to save a few million but potentially lose a hundred million of future reputation value. That was some amateur penny pinching s%*# that should be above a respectable organization. 

Edited by mac9001
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Remember the talk about the Sox being interested in Lorenzen or Clevinger due to trading away Cease’s $8 million salary?  Where did those talks go?  Once one of those options signs elsewhere, you just pocket the payroll?  What kind of one year deal would Montgomery be willing to sign for at this point?  He would be a great flip candidate.  But it sure seems like the Sox never planned on spending Cease’s freed up $8 million to begin with.

This offseason was about cutting payroll, so $2 million more for a bench player was deemed no small amount and Getz took the opportunity to cut the payroll even more.

I hope I don't come off as attacking, but if the Sox are bidding up against the Yankees and world champions, I'm not sure what makes anybody think we would outbid anyone, even with a normal owner. What did Lorenzen even sign for? Why would he come to a last place team, go 1-12, then have to uproot his life in 4 months, not see his family regularly for 3 more months, ..... for what? 

The same with Montgomery. This is his free agency he's worked 20 years for. Why do we think guys want to be traded in the middle of a season if they can help it?

10 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I hope I don't come off as attacking, but if the Sox are bidding up against the Yankees and world champions, I'm not sure what makes anybody think we would outbid anyone, even with a normal owner. What did Lorenzen even sign for? Why would he come to a last place team, go 1-12, then have to uproot his life in 4 months, not see his family regularly for 3 more months, ..... for what? 

The same with Montgomery. This is his free agency he's worked 20 years for. Why do we think guys want to be traded in the middle of a season if they can help it?

These are good points, but obviously Montgomery isn’t getting what he wants in free agency and he is still sitting out there unsigned.  At some point, you don’t always get to go to the contending team you want to and money talks.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Yeah, it's not worth brining him back to save a few million but potentially lose a hundred million of future reputation value. That was some amateur penny pinching s%*# that should be above a respectable organization. 

It wouldn’t be so bad if Getz planned on spending that $2 million elsewhere, but it is likely just going back in Jerry’s pocket like Cease’s $8 million.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

TBH this worries me more than any of the signings from their winter.  This is a lost season, and it really doesn't matter what the active roster looks like outside of rushing kids.  But if you get a bad rep, it will hurt you once the team is good.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

TBH this worries me more than any of the signings from their winter.  This is a lost season, and it really doesn't matter what the active roster looks like outside of rushing kids.  But if you get a bad rep, it will hurt you once the team is good.

I didn’t really think about it this way, and I’m not surprised Getz would try to save $2 million where he could (if not breaking any MLB rules), but Pillar’s comments are pretty telling.  He’s definitely upset by the last minute bait and switch.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It wouldn’t be so bad if Getz planned on spending that $2 million elsewhere, but it is likely just going back in Jerry’s pocket like Cease’s $8 million.

I want to know what agents, the union and other people around the league were telling him about the constraints Getz is up against, rules, or otherwise. 

I think Pillar gets $1 million guaranteed, and can make up to another $1 million in incentives. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I want to know what agents, the union and other people around the league were telling him about the constraints Getz is up against, rules, or otherwise. 

I think Pillar gets $1 million guaranteed, and can make up to another $1 million in incentives. 

It's a non-guaranteed deal.  He was absolutely in his rights to release him and contact him again.  It's shitty, but it's legal.  Maybe unethical, but absolutely not against the rules.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's a non-guaranteed deal.  He was absolutely in his rights to release him and contact him again.  It's shitty, but it's legal.  Maybe unethical, but absolutely not against the rules.

No, I mean the new deal. Is that not guaranteed?

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Double the $8M at least . $8M for 2024. He's Arb 3 next year so if all goes well in SD he should get at least another $8 and more than likely more.

So thats another $8M+ off the 2025 book . Barring any type of superstar like season from Moncada he'll also be off the books next year and possibly Eloy too. If Fedde is tradable at the deadline part of his 2024 $7.5M salary and all of his $7.5M for 2025 off the books too.

Stay tuned it could be really ugly next year since attendanceand sponsorship is likely to be real bad this year .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

These are good points, but obviously Montgomery isn’t getting what he wants in free agency and he is still sitting out there unsigned.  At some point, you don’t always get to go to the contending team you want to and money talks.

Montgomery will sign shortly after Opening Day, in part to ensure he is not subject to a QU next offseason.

Beyond the NRI players released or opting out Friday, Greinke and Pham are the two without deals I thought would have deals this season. Clevinger not surprising due to baggage.

There is still time for the Sox or another team to add depth / replace injured pitchers with Cueto, Hill, Syndergaard, Boyd, others.

22 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

No, he is only guaranteed $180K plus a pro-rated (x / 172 calendar days) $1M for the days he is on the active or IL MLB roster starting Thursday. His incentives start at $50k for 175 PAs with $50k more for every 25 more through a max of $50K for 350 ($500k total).

Will be tough unless he somehow manages to hold off Fletcher, Colas, Grossman, Sheets (Sox's choice) for a substantial number of starts this season. Late inning defensive substitutions won't help toward his incentives. Think he'll be happy just to stay on the Sox or another team's active roster for the entire season to lock in his full vested retirement benefits.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Montgomery will sign shortly after Opening Day, in part to ensure he is not subject to a QU next offseason.

Beyond the NRI players released or opting out Friday, Greinke and Pham are the two without deals I thought would have deals this season. Clevinger not surprising due to baggage.

There is still time for the Sox or another team to add depth / replace injured pitchers with Cueto, Hill, Syndergaard, Boyd, others.

Surprised Pham isn’t signed by now.  Greinke, Hill, and Cueto will probably sign once some injuries hit a rotation a month or two into the season.  I think Syndergaard is cooked.

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I don't necessarily agree that Nastrini hasn't "earned it" this spring, this is precisely why I hated moving Kopech to the pen right now.  They should have given him half a dozen starts and see what happens, and if he sucked, then move him to the pen.  They could still throw Woodford or Kuhl to the wolves for a few weeks, I guess.  The Sox haven't formally announced anything yet.  

Going back to this, if they really are going with a 9-man pen for the first 5 games of the season (won't really need another starter until game 6 of the season), maybe we will get lucky with a rain out or two pushing the need back a couple weeks. We will see I guess.

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Going back to this, if they really are going with a 9-man pen for the first 5 games of the season (won't really need another starter until game 6 of the season), maybe we will get lucky with a rain out or two pushing the need back a couple weeks. We will see I guess.

If they’re not certain how the schedule is going to go, can they actually have him pitching normal games at Charlotte?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they’re not certain how the schedule is going to go, can they actually have him pitching normal games at Charlotte?

I was thinking of that earlier too. Like couldn't he start the first game of the season for Charlotte?

He only needs to be in the minors for what, 10-11 days? Seems worth it to have just had Kopech make a start or two.

• Thanks 1