Sox invite 25 to Spring Training including Danny Mendick

Vote4Pedro

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm thinking about 40 man slots. Assuming Pillar and a couple of pitchers are likely candidates to be added, even with the 60 day IL folks it will be tough to make a move without dropping someone.

My guess is that by having a 40 man slot, Sosa is sort of stuck into that role to start the season.

Guys like Lambert, Peralta, Garcia, Banks, Scholtens aren’t really guaranteed 40-man spots in my book. Same with Sheets. It’ll be sorted out.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm thinking about 40 man slots. Assuming Pillar and a couple of pitchers are likely candidates to be added, even with the 60 day IL folks it will be tough to make a move without dropping someone.

My guess is that by having a 40 man slot, Sosa is sort of stuck into that role to start the season.

I feel like Shewmake would be the bench IF before Sosa. 

Also Martin and Foster will be 60 day ILd in a few days, that’ll open two spots. Peralta and Drohan would prob be next in DFA line. But yah, the 40 man is a tad crowded with all the churning. Don’t think Sosa is remotely close to being DFA tho. 

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Danny Mendick has to be lead candidate for backup IF, right?

I seem to remember that Mendick could cover SS better than Sosa could. However, Lopez being on the roster makes him a logical backup to SS. I just think if Sosa started hitting, he becomes your starting 2B. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Guys like Lambert, Peralta, Garcia, Banks, Scholtens aren’t really guaranteed 40-man spots in my book. Same with Sheets. It’ll be sorted out.

At the same time though, I'd imagine Getz would be notably hesitant to drop a pitcher to add an infielder, in terms of roster depth.

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Cheap minor league invites like these show why you don’t even waste a few million on some of the bums that Getz did.  Save it up for one impact player. 

One impact player won't move the needle one bit for this team in the next two years at least.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Cheap minor league invites like these show why you don’t even waste a few million on some of the bums that Getz did.  Save it up for one impact player. 

I don't know who would want to spend a year or two in a rebuilding year that isn't even a rebuilding year. It's the gut year of a gut rehab. It's like living in an apartment while they pull down walls, you piss in the sink, and you hope they figure out tarping for when the outside wall is gone. 

I think that if a dude's 32, has talent, he might want to make sure he's in a pennant race from the get go. He doesn't want to ride the bench of a dumpster fire, just hoping against hope he gets enough quality time to shine and get traded to a team who is really competing. I think the call from Chris Getz is the pink message slip his agent puts in his hip pocket, and exhausts all other opportunities, first. 

Therefore, if you're saving money for an impact player, I can't fathom how much of a premium it would take for a guy to tell the Twins, or Mariners, Reds, Cubs - to take a hike, and pull his pud while Pedrol Grifol pulls his pud figuring sh*t out. I hate the dour, but I don't think we have the same player pool available to us that the D-backs do, right now. Or, we pay list, while everyone else gets to negotiate. 

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

One impact player won't move the needle one bit for this team in the next two years at least.

Oh, I don’t really mean with a terrible team like this one.  Mostly with all the Hahn teams when he would spread out millions on a bunch of overpriced relievers and old veteran position players rather than invest in one or two good position players and sign some veteran relievers and backup players to cheap minor league deals.  I hope Getz remembers this going forward.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Cool to see Mendick getting an invite.  He has a real chance to make the 26-man, especially as a bench piece.  I remember seeing Chavez take the mound for the Cubs in 2022, and I thought, "Who is that old bastard?"  But he had a great season last year.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him be part of the bullpen this year.

The non roster invitees who are pitchers signed to minor league contracts must be guys they want to take flyers on given their numbers. They even brought in a 40 year old Jesse Chavez. Crazy, but not unheard of with where the roster and team is at.

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

The non roster invitees who are pitchers signed to minor league contracts must be guys they want to take flyers on given their numbers. They even brought in a 40 year old Jesse Chavez. Crazy, but not unheard of with where the roster and team is at.

Chavez was probably one of the best relievers Getz brought in if you looking at his numbers over that last few years, granted he doesn’t fall off the cliff at age 40, which is entirely possible.  He hasn’t yet though.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2