Grifol's pre-season opening thoughts...

Lip Man 1

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/02/13/white-sox-pedro-grifol-manager-spring-training-cactus-league

‘‘But there’s a reason I am where I am, right? You don’t just get handed these [manager] jobs, right? This is one of 30. So over time, you know, I’ve earned the right to be here." 😆 

Lol at tone deaf Pedro.

No douchebag, the "reason" you are here is because you're skilled at being a smooth talking corporate bootlicker who agreed to accept a cheap salary, so the organization decided in its infinite wisdom that you'd fit like a glove.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Lol at tone deaf Pedro.

No douchebag, the "reason" you are here is because you're skilled at being a smooth talking corporate bootlicker who agreed to accept a cheap salary, so the organization decided in its infinite wisdom that you'd fit like a glove.

I still think if the Sox get off to another dreadful start (which is certainly possible) he's fired around Memorial Day.

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Normally I think you're wrong, and then I read things he says. 

Most managers will just provide the most obvious Spring Training fluff that that no one will care about.  Grifol likes to go the opposite route and spout non-sensical crap that just absolutely pisses Sox fans off.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

So over time, you know, I’ve earned the right to be here." 😆 

What does that even mean? There are probably 100 other  guys who have "earned the right" to manage  via sitting on a major league bench for 10  years.

Over time, like about a week, it was clear Pedro was in way over his head. Now he's got an ego as well? He's managed 1 season, a team he said would win both sides of the ball, and go out with the attitude of kicking the opponents ass. He's 40 under .500. A total clown. 

• Like 2

I have issues with the Tony La Russa bit, but nothing in the main article cited here is offensive. And the quote above cuts off the other sentence which says:

But I’ve got to continue to prove that, you know, [hiring me] was the right decision.

I get it that Sox fans are pissed. Rightfully so. But this article is a nothing burger.

24 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I have issues with the Tony La Russa bit, but nothing in the main article cited here is offensive. And the quote above cuts off the other sentence which says:

I get it that Sox fans are pissed. Rightfully so. But this article is a nothing burger.

This is one of those where the actual correct response, the one that doesn't sound terrible, is to acknowledge there's a problem and vow to fix it. He could easily have doubled back on the other things he said in this interview.

"Pedro, some fans want to know why you haven't been fired yet, how do you respond to that"?

"Well, honestly I understand their frustration, we lost 101 games last year, our defense was poor, we had a lot of things to fix. The fans have a right to be frustrated with that style of play and that level of performance. But this year, I think we have a good group of guys in the clubhouse, we are going to be better on defense, I don't know how the season is going to wind up but I expect the fans will see progress and improvement on the field, and I hope they judge all of us by the improvement they see."

Contrast that with:

‘‘It didn’t look right, maybe, in their eyes last year,’’ he said. ‘‘But there’s a reason I am where I am, right? You don’t just get handed these [manager] jobs, right? This is one of 30. So over time, you know, I’ve earned the right to be here. But I’ve got to continue to prove that, you know, [hiring me] was the right decision.’’

See the difference? In one he's telling the fans they're wrong and he didn't get handed the job for no reason so he must have done a good job so all those other peons must be wrong, that "maybe it didn't look right in their eyes last year" (really, maybe????), in the other he's saying that the fans who pay his salary have some genuine complaints and he expects to do a job this year that will satisfy some of those complaints.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Over time, like about a week, it was clear Pedro was in way over his head. Now he's got an ego as well? He's managed 1 season, a team he said would win both sides of the ball, and go out with the attitude of kicking the opponents ass. He's 40 under .500. A total clown. 

You'd think a guy hired by the same folks that gave us horrendous stretches from late stage Guillen, just along for the ride RV and asleep (and drunk) at the wheel TLR would perhaps be a bit more humble. Manager of the White Sox? That's a clown gig bro.

• Like 1

Yes Pedro, there is a reason why you're here. It has little to do with your managerial acumen and more to do with who your boss is. Your boss's boss that is.

There is also a reason why you are *still* here, and it has absolutely nothing to do with whether you ever earned a job in the first place. It's because your boss's predecessors fucked up this 40 man roster so royally that even the best manager in the game couldn't win with the train wreck left behind. You are still here only as a placeholder, and very likely as the scapegoat to appease angry fans when your utter incompetence shows out again and your team still looks like a clown show. You weren't fired after the 101 loss abomination you helmed in 2023 simply so your firing in 2024 can be sold as a righting of the ship next offseason.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yes Pedro, there is a reason why you're here. It has little to do with your managerial acumen and more to do with who your boss is. Your boss's boss that is.

There is also a reason why you are *still* here, and it has absolutely nothing to do with whether you ever earned a job in the first place. It's because your boss's predecessors fucked up this 40 man roster so royally that even the best manager in the game couldn't win with the train wreck left behind. You are still here only as a placeholder, and very likely as the scapegoat to appease angry fans when your utter incompetence shows out again and your team still looks like a clown show. You weren't fired after the 101 loss abomination you helmed in 2023 simply so your firing in 2024 can be sold as a righting of the ship next offseason.

He's the Jim Boylen of the Sox. Great job JR! You've managed to hire two of the worst managers in the history of pro sports on both your clubs!

• Love 1