Grifol: DeJong, Lopez, Maldonado are good on offense

Quin

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean if people want to waste their time being offended by anything this group does this season... sure have at it.  But good lord, we all know what is out there in 2024.  This team and everything about it are going to be awful.  If you feel the need to be offended by that, I don't get it, but sure.

Because he's the manager of the team. When he's blantantly lying about this stuff, can you ever expect him to be truthful?  There are ways around taking about these players without sounding nuts. . Why don't they sign Buehrle to eat some innings? He was pretty good 8 or 9 years ago?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because he's the manager of the team. When he's blantantly lying about this stuff, can you ever expect him to be truthful?  There are ways around taking about these players without sounding nuts. . Why don't they sign Buehrle to eat some innings? He was pretty good 8 or 9 years ago?

"Well even the best teams have guys there to play different roles. Great teams have guys who are there to play great defense, to be great on the base paths. We have guys in our lineup who we are counting on to generate offense, we have other guys who we're counting on for defense or to work with the pitching staff. If we're counting on guys for defense, we expect them to do their best with the bats, and the other guys will be knocking them in."

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't expect him to be truthful.  I guess that is the difference between us.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't expect him to be truthful.  I guess that is the difference between us.

As a professional, i would expect him to be somewhat truthful. Obviously there are things he would have to dance around, but total BS like this? Just shows how bad he is at his job.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As a professional, i would expect him to be somewhat truthful. Obviously there are things he would have to dance around, but total BS like this? Just shows how bad he is at his job.

Then he would literally never talk, and that would upset people.  Or he could tell the truth, and that would upset people.  This whole franchise is total BS right now.  Do you need it said to you every day?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Buehrle could still outpitch some of the suck on our 40-man roster.

• Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Great managers aren't going to anything with an awful team.  Look at Bill Belichek's record minus Tom Brady.

You're missing the forest for the trees here: the point isn't that grifol is or isn't a good manager or even how he should talk about his players -- it's that not a SINGLE person has acknowledged to the fans that this is a reset year. If they have, they sure haven't done it very publicly.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bigger lie:

Paul DeJong is 6'6 or that he is good on offense?

Both are false. It's tough.

I was thinking about this the other day, but what would he have to put up offensively to be considered "good?" If he plays great defense and sustains how he did with the Cardinals last season but over a full season, is that considered good enough?

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Does he think we are stupid? We can Google players' stats.

Some are exactly that stupid. Some meathead fan called into the Score yesterday to complain that people are crapping on the Sox. He then proceeded to list all of the terrible players that will help the team this year. They only need to fool enough people to get a decent amount to show up at the games and/or buy season packages.

• Hawk 1
  • Paper Bag 1

5 hours ago, Quin said:

I know Spring Training is fluffy than marshmallows, but his interview with Vinnie Duber was hysterical.

Time-stamped for your listening pleasure (misery)?

• On DeJong: "Has done it before. He didn't lose it. It's still there." - Hit .207 last year, was released by 2 teams. Hit under .200 in 2021 and 2022.
  • On Lopez: "He hit .300 in the American League a few years ago." - So did former batting champion Tim Anderson! Lopez is a career .249 hitter, so 2021 is currently an outlier.
  • On Maldonado: "I don't feel that he's a .180 hitter." - Technically correct since 2019. He's been a .191 hitter in five seasons since then.

Grifol is going to be like TLR with Leury Garcia with us, but with 3 terrible hitters.

This is just infuriating. These 3 hitters, 1/3 of the Sox batting order are horrific. Anybody who pays to see this mess of a team IMO is in for a borefest at GRate Field.

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Both are false. It's tough.

I was thinking about this the other day, but what would he have to put up offensively to be considered "good?" If he plays great defense and sustains how he did with the Cardinals last season but over a full season, is that considered good enough?

You're talking about a 0.5 fWAR player, basically. 

That performance is tolerable, it's acceptable given the money, it's understandable for where the White Sox are in April of 2024. It's not really tradeable for anything of value, so maybe still a little more money than we should have spent on this guy.

My question then is - why is he playing a full season? Is he playing a full season because Colson isn't ready, or because Colson is getting benched for him in the 2nd half because they have to play their Vetz?

10 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Some are exactly that stupid. Some meathead fan called into the Score yesterday to complain that people are crapping on the Sox. He then proceeded to list all of the terrible players that will help the team this year. They only need to fool enough people to get a decent amount to show up at the games and/or buy season packages.

Remember all those years the Orioles stunk? All these seasons the Royals stunk/stink? Spring training is hope eternal for many franchises like the Sox. By the end of the first week of May all hope will be lost. It happens yearly and our Sox are now one of these franchises. Lopez, DeJong, and Maldonado?? One long LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, nrockway said:

Can we replace him with Pujols yet

Instead of those three ... you come up with a good idea. How bout we sign Ozzie to play short, Ozzie Smith to play second and Carlton Fisk to catch? People might pay to see those guys hit only about the same as those 3.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 2

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You're talking about a 0.5 fWAR player, basically. 

That performance is tolerable, it's acceptable given the money, it's understandable for where the White Sox are in April of 2024. It's not really tradeable for anything of value, so maybe still a little more money than we should have spent on this guy.

My question then is - why is he playing a full season? Is he playing a full season because Colson isn't ready, or because Colson is getting benched for him in the 2nd half because they have to play their Vetz?

I guess I meant more he plays a full season in the MLB, not necessarily as a starter all season. Start at SS until Colson comes up and then shift to a bench role or 2B or whatever.

I’ve never been interested in what Pedro has to say, but would like to hear from people who matter like Getz or Bannister.

Some here want an Ozzie saying everyone sucks, but that is an anomaly in the game, and part of the reason he’s sat with Garfein for a decade or so instead of in a MLB dugout.

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I guess I meant more he plays a full season in the MLB, not necessarily as a starter all season. Start at SS until Colson comes up and then shift to a bench role or 2B or whatever.

We're in a thread on Grifol.

I will trust him when he has earned it. His behavior last year gives me deep skepticism about his willingness to correctly make use of his young guys.

If he has a crappy veteran and uses that as an excuse to mistreat a young guy....again...it will create anger about the presence of the veteran as well as anger about him. And I think I'm pretty clearly expecting this to happen - hell, they already blocked Korey Lee because they needed veteran leadership around their other young catcher on the roster, Max Stassi.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Some things are so obvious, you either insult the intelligence of the people who pay to watch your team, or if you really believe it, you shouldn't be doing what you are doing. Of course this is the team that signed an aging catcher to be an example, and he got dinged for jaking it to first base the very first spring training game. 

The sad thing is that a very small number of posters on this message board actually liked most of Getz’s moves this offseason and probably buy into the 💩 that Grifol is selling.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We're in a thread on Grifol.

I will trust him when he has earned it. His behavior last year gives me deep skepticism about his willingness to correctly make use of his young guys.

If he has a crappy veteran and uses that as an excuse to mistreat a young guy....again...it will create anger about the presence of the veteran as well as anger about him. And I think I'm pretty clearly expecting this to happen - hell, they already blocked Korey Lee because they needed veteran leadership around their other young catcher on the roster, Max Stassi.

This is key.

They bring in Maldonado - who Pedro clearly views as his juggernaut, .191 hitter and league-worst defensive stalwart - as the starter. After they brought in Max Stassi as the vet.

At the same time, they have Korey Lee (who was bad last year, yes, and could use seasoning), Quero (hopefully the future), Hackenberg (who could be a good backup in the future, but definitely needs time in AAA) and Perez (yes, bad, but again, Maldonado).

With Stassi around there was no need to give $4M to the second worst catcher in the league (Eric Haase barely edges him out).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're missing the forest for the trees here: the point isn't that grifol is or isn't a good manager or even how he should talk about his players -- it's that not a SINGLE person has acknowledged to the fans that this is a reset year. If they have, they sure haven't done it very publicly.

Look, if you haven't figured out this is a rebuild, you deserve to pay to watch this team.  I can't think of a better punishment.

• Love 1