Grade the Cease trade

Grade the Cease trade  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Cease trade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete/Other

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What is your job?  The most common thing teachers hear is that just about anyone can do that job...vacations and benefits are too generous, but very few people have the patience required.  Which is only about 1/4th of the challenge.

I teach Economics, not English...fwiw.

And it doesn't matter anyway...I will retire next year at age 54 and enjoy the rest of my life to the best of my ability.

Austrian or Keynesian, or the current MMT print money until it's absolutely worthless like it is today version?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Austrian or Keynesian, or the current MMT print money until it's absolutely worthless like it is today version?

British A-Levels and IB...pretty standardized cuuriculum that looks at these issues more objectively/historically without attempting to suggest a best or ideal model.

But Keynesian is the one that gets the most attention...as well as supply side 1980's Reagan/Bush/Thatcher/Stockman voodoo economics style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

British A-Levels and IB...pretty standardized cuuriculum that looks at these issues more objectively/historically without attempting to suggest a best or ideal model.

But Keynesian is the one that gets the most attention...as well as supply side 1980's Reagan/Bush/Thatcher/Stockman voodoo economics style.

It’d be fun to read a high level perspective on crypto currencies from you. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

It’d be fun to read a high level perspective on crypto currencies from you. 

I'm more of the Buffett/Munger school of thought on this.  Never invested.  Obviously the intrinsic value comes from the underlying block chain technology itself...rather than as a store of actual value, because it's essentially backed more by the faith and belief of its devotees.

That's said, it's certainly more interesting personally than NFT's and SPAC's.

Not particularly insightful because I decided in the very beginning not to invest.

(But then again, I sold BRK.B and bought BABA, which was my second major investing mistake since the late 90s.  Which resulted in even more index fund investing.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

In the Athletic they had a panel of three writers who grades our side of this trade. Here were their evaluations:

B-

B

A-

Here is that article and a clip from each of the three authors:

https://theathletic.com/5340168/2024/03/13/dylan-cease-trade-padres-white-sox-2/

Andy McCullough: B-

For the White Sox, the success of this package will depend on the prowess of their revamped player development system.

Stephen J. Nesbitt: A-

Zavala, ranked No. 6 in the Padres system by Keith Law, should be a 20-20 threat down the line

Cody Stavenhagen: A-

Here’s one way to view the trade: If Thorpe becomes a third starter and Iriate ultimately turns into a nasty reliever, that alone isn’t a terrible haul for two years of Cease…..Zavala, though, serves as the final piece that makes this trade more enticing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 8:55 PM, TaylorStSox said:

Back in the day, this board was known for being objective. Now, it's just an echo chamber of negativity. There's only a handful of poster who are actually objective now. The rest are just circle jerking about how much we suck. We know that. It would be great if the board could move on from that and try to be a bit more analytical. Last night I was really hoping we could have a discussion about Drew Thorpe's change up, and only a small group of posters actually wanted to talk about baseball. It's a bummer because his board used to kick ass when discussing actual baseball. Now it's a circlejerk of "jerry sucks." Yeah, no s%*#. Jerry's always sucked. 

I liked your post even though I'm one of the biggest proponents of JR sucks. That's mainly because you have to remind everyone just how many areas of running the Sox he actually affects.

So while I wail about JR, I love talking actual baseball and consider myself on the optimistic side when opining about players.

I gave the trade a B. Worth is so subjective but in my eyes Cease could be great again ( high worth) but his 2023 numbers in a vacuum hurt his value. Durability is not rated as highly as it should be. Texas paid for Degrom, a truly gifted pitcher who can't stay on the field ,yet Getz struggled to get high end prospects for Cease who has durability and awesome stuff and no one would  be surprised to see him pitch closer to his 2022 numbers than 2023.

I also think market conditions took a turn for the worse when trading for high end prospects. Not sure why, RSN problems perhaps affected the FA market more and FA contracts affected the value of high end prospects and prospects in general.

Cease also was pretty worthless to the Sox in what surely would be a very bad team for his remaining 2 years.

3 prospects and an MLB reliever with 4 years of control is how many total years of control. 6,6,6,4 ? 22 years plus the years in the minors while they develop.

But this is the part where we circle back to JR. If the player development staff for all Sox players, not just those in the minors, was as advanced and as helpful to prospects as the Dodgers system I'd feel even better about the trade.

One last thing. Talking baseball requires analysis, experience, patience , knowledge and clear communicating. Message boards are more like X now, short outbursts, cruelty and brief comments. People no longer have the time nor inclination to make long posts " discussing"  much of anything.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 4

Solid Flunking grade. Thorpe was the centerpiece? or a 19 year old outfielder?

Minimally one major league ready position player that filled a hole would have justified a trade for our Ace pitcher.

If Thorpe makes the starting rotation this season and pitches well for us, then the trade will look  better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Solid Flunking grade. Thorpe was the centerpiece? or a 19 year old outfielder?

Minimally one major league ready position player that filled a hole would have justified a trade for our Ace pitcher.

If Thorpe makes the starting rotation this season and pitches well for us, then the trade will look  better.

I would have preferred this over a near MLB ready starting pitcher.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 9:01 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we will look back on this trade in 10 years and all agree it was an A+ return when Zavala ends up being a legit star posting .400 OBPs year after year with 25+ bombs per and Thorpe has made 200 (mostly quality) starts for us.

This is bold as hell after our last two big trades.  We can’t wait until Moncada and Eloy are gone and Kopech just got demoted to the bullpen.  At least one of the four big names from the two trades panned out to recoup this trade.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This is bold as hell after our last two big trades.  We can’t wait until Moncada and Eloy are gone and Kopech just got demoted to the bullpen.  At least one of the four big names from the two trades panned out to recoup this trade.

We are more than due for a homerun trade and I love the videos I’ve seen of Zavala (plus that .420 OBP) and it just feels like Thorpe is a dude who is going quietly produce #3 SP numbers for a long time.

• Fire 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:34 PM, hi8is said:

In the Athletic they had a panel of three writers who grades our side of this trade. Here were their evaluations:

B-

B

A-

Lol

If Brooks Boyer is going to funnel money to the Athletic to help shape content/opinions they should bring back Fegan with that money at least.

On 3/17/2024 at 7:01 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we will look back on this trade in 10 years and all agree it was an A+ return when Zavala ends up being a legit star posting .400 OBPs year after year with 25+ bombs per and Thorpe has made 200 (mostly quality) starts for us.

I applaud your optimism on the 1% chance those things come true.

While I gave it a solid B , it does worry me when Getz said that the Padres were considering him to be in their rotation. Preller's a used car salesman and Getz is acting like he believed him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I applaud your optimism on the 1% chance those things come true.

While I gave it a solid B , it does worry me when Getz said that the Padres were considering him to be in their rotation. Preller's a used car salesman and Getz is acting like he believed him.

Could have used him out of the bullpen last night...