Kopech to the Bullpen

hogan873

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And yet after a month, here we are.  That should tell us all something.

What exactly should it be telling us ? The only thing it tells me is people who expect coaches to work miracles with athletes in a month or 2 are delusional. Kopech isn't anyone's sole responsibility.

We all knew this team is filled with projects and just turning a few of them into tradable assets by the trade deadline would be a long shot. Getz is just playing the shitty hand JR dealt him from a stacked deck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What exactly should it be telling us ? The only thing it tells me is people who expect coaches to work miracles with athletes in a month or 2 are delusional. Kopech isn't anyone's sole responsibility.

We all knew this team is filled with projects and just turning a few of them into tradable assets by the trade deadline would be a long shot. Getz is just playing the shitty hand JR dealt him from a stacked deck.

Yeah I really don't know what people want from Getz currently. There isn't a single person in baseball who could have came in and fixed this situation with the situation/assets he has to work with.

I don't buy the Clevinger s%*#.  Mainly because I don't want to.  He pitched fine last year, but part of this rebuild was to rid the team of bad culture.  This would look really bad for the Sox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I think some of us have lost our minds because we hate this organization so much 

Probably true but Robert is not superstar as of yet, when I see a few years in a row where he posts OPS over .900  then we can call him a superstar, needs to stay healthy also.

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m actually going to be more pissed if they don’t send Crochet down to the minors to start the season.  I worry this move opens up a spot for Garrett to do a couple innings ever five day thing with the Sox, which would be super stupid.

If you're sending him to Charlotte to stretch out his innings as a starter, why can't he do the same thing in Chicago on a 110 loss team?  Serious question...not being a dick.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't understand this decision.  You can always move him to the pen later.  This is a move you probably are not coming back from, and Kopech has way more value as a SP both to the Sox, and to other teams. 

I do. Have you watched him pitch this spring?

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Run along now.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m actually going to be more pissed if they don’t send Crochet down to the minors to start the season.  I worry this move opens up a spot for Garrett to do a couple innings ever five day thing with the Sox, which would be super stupid.

They should have learned their lesson trying to stretch Kopech out in the bigs, but I have my doubts they will do the smart thing with Crochet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

If you're sending him to Charlotte to stretch out his innings as a starter, why can't he do the same thing in Chicago on a 110 loss team?  Serious question...not being a dick.

Service time, and not needing to depend on him in the rotation. Probably a less toxic atmosphere to get practice reps in AAA than on a team losing every night.

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I do. Have you watched him pitch this spring?

I have not.  I don't put much stock into spring training results.  But regardless, who cares? The Sox need a miracle to be anything better than awful.  Who cares if he sucks in the rotation, and then you move him to the pen in May or June or July? I realize something clicking for Kopech as a SP might be nearing miracle stages as well, but if it does, he's a valuable trade chip. Much more valuable than if things click as a pensman. 

I realize he's had all sorts of chances, etc., etc., but there's a reason for that.  He has an arm you can dream on, even if it has regressed some.  He's also shown flashes of being a really good SP. It just feels like an unnecessary move at this time for a team that is projected to lose 100 games.   I also don't like the trickle down effect it could cause putting Nastrini or Thorpe in the OD rotation, or forcing Crochet into it.  Gimme the extra year of control on all three of those dudes - all that makes is about 5-6 Kopech starts.  

Edited by ChiSox59

I don't have a lot of faith in Kopech to fix his issues, but he certainly wasn't doing it as a starter. He's had chance after chance and still has regressed. At this point, if he's going to salvage his career, he has to figure out how to be effective on the mound. Maybe this is the kick in the ass he needs?

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

26 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yeah I really don't know what people want from Getz currently. There isn't a single person in baseball who could have came in and fixed this situation with the situation/assets he has to work with.

The problem is that we’ve had multiple “In Getz and Bannister and Barfield we trust” moves already this season.

Why was it ok to give up on Thompson? Why was it ok to give up on Mena? Well Barfield knows the Arizona system and they’re getting rid of guys they don’t like, in Barfield and Bannister we trust.

The return from the Padres seemed light, and the biggest piece only just made AA, but in Barfield and Bannister we trust.

Barfield said he’s looking forward to working with Kopech and getting him right. In Barfield we trust?

We are making moves that people can’t justify other than by saying the new leadership team we brought in will make things work, but here’s a first strike against them. Why should I trust their evaluation on Mena if they couldn’t make progress with Kopech after saying they could?

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The problem is that we’ve had multiple “In Getz and Bannister and Barfield we trust” moves already this season.

Why was it ok to give up on Thompson? Why was it ok to give up on Mena? Well Barfield knows the Arizona system and they’re getting rid of guys they don’t like, in Barfield and Bannister we trust.

The return from the Padres seemed light, and the biggest piece only just made AA, but in Barfield and Bannister we trust.

Barfield said he’s looking forward to working with Kopech and getting him right. In Barfield we trust?

We are making moves that people can’t justify other than by saying the new leadership team we brought in will make things work, but here’s a first strike against them. Why should I trust their evaluation on Mena if they couldn’t make progress with Kopech after saying they could?

You're not seriously crying about getting rid of Thompson are you? You tell us for months how Cease isn't any good, now you say the return is light? You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

You're not seriously crying about getting rid of Thompson are you?

The guy we traded him for has already been assigned to minor league camp and is burning his last option while also occupying a 40 man roster spot on a team with a boatload of available NRIs who could fill that roster spot. As of now, yes, that is stupid. Churn the bottom of your roster when you have a team this bad, don't give up guys you have control over who could still be moved to the bullpen in the minors to grab bullpen pieces who clog roster spots and can't even make the big league team out of spring training. 

The only way that makes sense is oh hey, Horn appears to have solid off speed stuff, if Barfield and Bannister like him maybe they can make him a valuable reliever this year. Trust Barfield and Bannister, they know what they're doing.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A lot of people don't think the return for Cease is light, and I'm not holding it against anyone who thinks they can fix Kopech and then go, "Welp, nevermind." Guy is obviously his own worse enemey. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The guy we traded him for has already been assigned to minor league camp and is burning his last option while also occupying a 40 man roster spot on a team with a boatload of available NRIs who could fill that roster spot. As of now, yes, that is stupid. Churn the bottom of your roster when you have a team this bad, don't give up guys you have control over who could still be moved to the bullpen in the minors to grab bullpen pieces who clog roster spots and can't even make the big league team out of spring training. 

The only way that makes sense is oh hey, Horn appears to have solid off speed stuff, if Barfield and Bannister like him maybe they can make him a valuable reliever this year. Trust Barfield and Bannister, they know what they're doing.

Everyone but you knows Getz knows more about Thompson than you do.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Everyone but you knows Getz knows more about Thompson than you do.

Trust Bannister and Barfield and Getz. They said they can fix Kopech, they have earned the trust you just showed in them.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Trust Bannister and Barfield and Getz. They said they can fix Kopech, they have earned the trust you just showed in them.

This is absurd.  Kopech has been here 7 years.  He sucks.  

Also- show me the quote where they said "We guarantee he will be fixed and turn into a good starting pitcher"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

WTF? A guy is supposed to be fixed in spring training?  I'm no fan of Chris Getz, but exactly how many times have you seen Thompson  pitch?

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

So who takes the spot in the rotation?  Lorenzen or someone else?

You know what I would love - if the Sox signed 2 guys and used $20M or so to do it - maybe even $25 or $30M.  But did it knowing they would be gone by the deadline and you are basically using them to buy prospects.  I know that isn't "cheap" but they would only be on the hook for the prorated part...although there is some risk, pitcher could get hurt or stink and thus no market to trade and thus you eat the full salary.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

You know what I would love - if the Sox signed 2 guys and used $20M or so to do it - maybe even $25 or $30M.  But did it knowing they would be gone by the deadline and you are basically using them to buy prospects.  I know that isn't "cheap" but they would only be on the hook for the prorated part...although there is some risk, pitcher could get hurt or stink and thus no market to trade and thus you eat the full salary.  

That's of course what they should do, it's incredibly obvious...but they won't because why spend more money now? Jerry would never sign off on it

3 hours ago, fathom said:

No reason for this given the chances of contention

I actually think it makes sense. Kopech doesn't have a ton of control left and I think odds that he makes it as a starter are pretty slim given all the innings limits he has had.  So I don't see much any value to the Sox in the long-run with Kopech as a starter. If he figures it out - Sox won't have control with him and he'll walk (and odds he figures it all out this year probably slim). 

Now - if he goes to the pen - and he can really focus on 2 pitches - I like the chances that he could become an elite reliever (He was damn good in that role way back when).  If he can go there and kick butt this season - that might be best way to maximize value for the Sox as you now have a better shot in my opinion of getting real talent for him (whether this year or next year).

Or am I wrong and we have more control than just this year and next year?