Garrett Crochet named Opening Day starter

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Starters don't come out and air it out from the first pitch. Relievers do. Perhaps you don't understand that starters "start" the game, thus the name. Relievers come in and "relieve" the starter. The more you argue, the more wrong you become. 

These comedic replies alone make this announcement worth it. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well...this is the diametrical opposite of the SoxTalkers consensus of holding him down at Charlotte to claim back a year of control.

Which was actually the right thing to do.  They should do it with Kopech as well.  But braindead org doing braindead s%*#

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't think he throws over 170 any time soon so I was thinking 80 then 150. 

I'd be shocked if he ever has 150 innings in a season but also thrilled for him on whatever team he's on since they don't plan on gaining service time back.

Id much rather see this experiment happen in the minors. Not only do you gain a year of a control for a season that might actually matter, you also protect yourself from losing a ton of it if he hurts himself again. So what happens in July in the off chance that he hasn’t hurt himself? Shut him down? Move him back to the pen? Not the route I’d have taken, but all you can do is hope for the best. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't want him out of the bullpen! Putting him in the bullpen was Hahns thing, it was as intelligent as every other move Hahn made.

Send him to Charlotte, use him as an opener, build him up with 3 innings an outing against minor league competition for April, 4 innings per outing in May, give him a break there, move to 5 innings or so in June, then evaluate what his arm is doing, how his body is feeling, how his off speed pitches look, how his velocity has gone. If everything has gone to plan, call him back up mid-year and let him inch his way into the rotation with pretty clear innings limits in the second half. If there are any setbacks, be patient, and try to make sure you don't do anything that shreds his elbow or shoulder again.

Figure out when you want to shut him down from there - I am not as into the 80 innings limit as some people are, if he works his way up to the big leagues and throws more innings than that, at least I kept the intensity low on some of the early ones rather than having him go against big leaguers, but still be super cautious in the 2nd half about making sure he gets extra rest.

The problem is that Chris Sale learned how to pitch in the mid to lower 90's so he could handle a starter's workload...and only use his mid to high 90's stuff when he really needed it to bail him out of a jam.

Don Cooper 101

The problem here is that it seems Crochet is just going out there throwing full bore like he's coming out of the bullpen in the 9th inning.

And he's not using his secondary pitches nearly enough...just relying on blowing away hitters, especially those on the LH side of the plate.  But that's just raw stuff and not with a refined slider like Sale had.

Whatever it is, he has to come close to developing at least one secondary off-speed pitch that might not ever be "plus plus" but is at least major league average and that he can control confidently enough to throw it for strikes and get hitters off the fastball.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I'd be happy to entertain legitimate critique as soon as I read some. Yes, because all the bad trades, questionable PR decisions, that's why Garret Crochet will fail. That's probably the most logical part of your rant. 

You do understand that every single pitcher in MLB history never started a MLB game before their first one, right? But if you want your critique to be treated as legitimate, maybe don't be the 20th person to lazily ask, "what could go wrong?" Or call the entire organization "yes-men". That's tired, and lazy. 

Nothing that I listed, that you called tired, is inaccurate about the initial deluge of comments on the opening day start. I just find it weird that you glum guys get so angry about people actually being excited for the baseball season. 

I'm excited for the season . Don't agree with Crochet not being in Charlotte but I know he'd rather be making MLB money just in case his arm explodes again. Every 800K season helps . I hope he invests wisely.

If he gets hurt again maybe his arm just wasn't build for pitching. No arm really is when an underhand motion is a way more natural way to throw. How Nolan Ryan did what he did for so long was a freak of nature.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thinking about this a little bit more, this seems like something we in the trading world would call a pump and dump.  I literally can't think of another reason for why.

If they want to do that, simply make him the closer.

The rest of baseball isn't ready to accept him as a potential starter until he gets over 100 IP...and that's unlikely to happen n Year 1 of this experiment.

Meanwhile, there will be half of the teams in baseball wanting to acquire for the back end of their bullpens if he can remain healthy and effective into the heart of the summer months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So who will be his piggyback every five days?  Feels like you basically need a dedicated sixth starter who is paired with Crochet to pull this off.

Touki? One of the shitty NRI SPs like Kuhl or Woodford? Not really sure it matters much. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Touki? One of the shitty NRI SPs like Kuhl or Woodford? Not really sure it matters much. 

It matters when you have a pitcher going 3 or 4 innings every five days.  It’s going to kill your bullpen unless planned for.  Hopefully Getz & Grifol have an actual plan here, because Touki or whomever the long reliever is will be needed to cover the other guys in the rotation.

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So who will be his piggyback every five days?  Feels like you basically need a dedicated sixth starter who is paired with Crochet to pull this off.

I can't figure it out

How many guys can they carry working on 5 days rest without screwing the whole bullpen up ?

Now I feel like Shaw and his rubber arm makes the team.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’d like to keep him in Charlotte to get several pressure free starts, in warmer weather, to see how he holds up doing what he hasn’t done since the 2010s with limited inning starts at Tennessee.

Feels like 2020 Game 3, or rushing Liam after 5 poor IP post cancer spring training/Charlotte rehab innings. 

They spent six months tearing down the team and assuring 0 games will matter in 2024. Yet between the guys they brought in, their likely opening day roster, and this decision, they continue to operate as they did throughout 2023 as though any of these games matter beyond player evaluation and player development.

Getz built a 60ish win team. Operate accordingly.

Crochet’s 12 1/3 Innings as a 2020s Starter:

Only no pressure if he doesn't care about playing in Chicago. 

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

80 way too little. Conservative would be about 100-120 for me. If they want to make him a starter these are the things you have to do.

The Sox will be lucky to get 80 out of him. He's basically building from ground zero.

Rodon came back in 2021 had hardly pitched in the previous 2 years and he wore out and he had a lot more innings under his belt  than Crochet.

I kept saying he'd wear down at the end of the season but no one cared. The Sox abused the f*** out of his arm in the 1st half. Everyone was all swept up in the pennant chase . Then blam ! .500 record in the 2nd half was the beginning of the end of the rebuild.

I have two young sons who were asking if we were going to get to go to more Sox games this year.  My answer was yes, and we would likely be able to sit close, because the tickets probably will not be very expensive.  It is moves like having an Opening Day starter with 73 IP in his career.

Don’t get me wrong, Crochet is talented, but going with multiple starters who are likely to go 3-4 innings vs 5-7 is going to require a revolving door from Charlotte to get through the season.  This is where a guy who can throw 3 IP in relief twice over a 5-6 day span could be helpful.

This is a serious question: what non-pitcher on our roster has enough in his arm to throw strikes for a couple innings a couple times throughout the year?  If we’re down huge with an inning or two to go, does losing 10-1 or 13-1 having someone eat an inning or two really matter?  Fans may have more fun if Paul DeJong or Nicky Lopez (making up guys here) comes in and fans a guy.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Sox will be lucky to get 80 out of him. He's basically building from ground zero.

Rodon came back in 2021 had hardly pitched in the previous 2 years and he wore out and he had a lot more innings under his belt  than Crochet.

I kept saying he'd wear down at the end of the season but no one cared. The Sox abused the f*** out of his arm in the 1st half. Everyone was all swept up in the pennant chase . Then blam ! .500 record in the 2nd half was the beginning of the end of the rebuild.

Because they were only on the hook for $3 million and were finally going to get their money's worth out of him...