2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

32 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Personally developed? Personally? What in the f*** are you talking about?

Crochet was great. But talk to me when he repeats this every 5 days all season long. 

Why don't you "talk to me" once you start being right about anything? All I've heard all spring was that this pitching staff will "blow". They blew, alright. They blew pitches by Detroit hitters all day. I tried to warn y'all to not get your hopes up regular bullpen melt-downs. Now you have to keep your therapist on retainer because you can't crow about that. 

I guess you'll have to cheer yourself up tonight by watching some Twitter car crash video account. 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

White Sox had an xBA .169 today.

That'll happen against a very good pitcher. It's weird how you guys get surprised when a very good pitcher throws a great game. 

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Developed him how?  Doesn’t he have like 12 total minor league innings to his name, all of which came last year?

And Crochet looked amazing today which is great to see.  But him going deep in one start doesn’t change the concerns about his ability to handle a significant workload as a starter.  If he can go five innings every start over the course of a season that would theoretically be amazing, but it would be unprecedented and likely result in an injury at some point.  As such, it’s way too early to make any calls here.  I think we can agree we all want this to work, it’s just more of a matter if this approach will work.  Me being wrong here would be fantastic though.

And the Tigers were 13th last year offensively...let's see him against the East and West.

(back to 2000 arguments about over extrapolating results from too many Central-padded numbers)

Just now, WestEddy said:

That'll happen against a very good pitcher. It's weird how you guys get surprised when a very good pitcher throws a great game. 

I'm guessing a lot of pitchers... good, bad and mediocre stiffs are going to throw a great game against this impotent lineup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We hired another fucking guy that doesn't baseball.

Seems like he's overdoing the emotions in an attempt to hype up the team when there's very little reason to be excited about them...just a bit over the top for now, but surely it will wear thin after a month or two.

He won't be able to easily sustain it.  Kind of like Connor McKnight, but with a different sort of vibe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Why don't you "talk to me" once you start being right about anything? All I've heard all spring was that this pitching staff will "blow". They blew, alright. They blew pitches by Detroit hitters all day. I tried to warn y'all to not get your hopes up regular bullpen melt-downs. Now you have to keep your therapist on retainer because you can't crow about that. 

I guess you'll have to cheer yourself up tonight by watching some Twitter car crash video account. 

I'm optimistic several pitchers will do well, especially under Bannister's tutelage. And not to take away anything from Crochet's outstanding performance, or the other pitchers beyond Kopech's shaky command.

But let's also be measured in that it was cold today, you had shadows with the late start and the Tigers were 28th last year in runs scored with 661, or 20 runs ahead of 29th place White Sox (the Oakland AAA's in last).

Hoping Crochet can stay healthy and sustain effective 80 + pitch outings for as long as feasible / possible without risking injury. Today will certainly help his confidence in terms of completing 6 and pitching really well with great command.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems like he's overdoing the emotions in an attempt to hype up the team when there's very little reason to be excited about them...just a bit over the top for now, but surely it will wear thin after a month or two.

He won't be able to easily sustain it.  Kind of like Connor McKnight, but with a different sort of vibe.

I like the guy. I liked Jason. I just can't stand them as the Sox announcer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Missed the game, first opening day I've missed in who knows how long. I guess there comes a point in life where you can no longer play hooky to watch baseball. Was Crochet really that dominant? 8 Ks to 0 walks, 6 IP, 87 pitches is just incredible. 87 pitches is most shocking to me. Good for him. Dylan Who? Who Sale?  How'd the defense look?

On the other side, 3 hits and no walks is pretty fucking pathetic but I guess it was wrong to expect differently. If they can't touch Maeda or Flaherty, there's a serious problem (there wasn't already?).

Crochet was really really good. Better than most of probably figured he would. Defense was ok. No massive boneheaded mistakes but. Wouldn’t call it great though. Maldonado was definitely the weakest link. 

The offense was as clueless as the stats suggest. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yes, one game is way too soon to make a call on a single pitcher, or the whole staff. Weird how that doesn't apply to the dudes launching hot takes at zero games. 

If it's okay with you, I'll feel good about how pitching looked today. You can wring your hands and kvetch about everything else. 

Hot takes at zero games?  Not sure what you’re trying to say there, but no one is saying you can’t enjoy how the pitching looked today.  I also liked how the pitching looked today!  The only difference is you decided to come out guns blazing after a single start and try to clown on people who are worried that Crochet going from basically never to starting before to pitching 120+ innings may not work out health wise.  I actually respect your optimism, but your need to constantly justify everything Getz does (even if it means making up your own narratives to support) is a bit bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm optimistic several pitchers will do well, especially under Bannister's tutelage. And not to take away anything from Crochet's outstanding performance, or the other pitchers beyond Kopech's shaky command.

But let's also be measured in that it was cold today, you had shadows with the late start and the Tigers were 28th last year in runs scored with 661, or 20 runs ahead of 29th place White Sox (the Oakland AAA's in last).

Hoping Crochet can stay healthy and sustain effective 80 + pitch outings for as long as feasible / possible without risking injury. Today will certainly help his confidence in terms of completing 6 and pitching really well with great command.

I'm totally being measured. It's not really my job to make excuses for an offense that some are picking to be in the first place mix at the end of the season. And somehow, those excuses aren't applying to the Sox hitters today. I wonder why. 

I'm very happy with the way the pitching staff looked today. Kopech looks to be the weakest link. And that's good. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hot takes at zero games?  Not sure what you’re trying to say there, but no one is saying you can’t enjoy how the pitching looked today.  I also liked how the pitching looked today!  The only difference is you decided to come out guns blazing after a single start and try to clown on people who are worried that Crochet going from basically never to starting before to pitching 120+ innings may not work out health wise.  I actually respect your optimism, but your need to constantly justify everything Getz does (even if it means making up your own narratives to support) is a bit bizarre.

Yesterday, there were zero games of the season played. Today there is one. People were registering hot takes before any games were played. Clowning, if you will. I'm at least happy after one real game. 

I'd be surprised if Crochet gets much beyond 90-100 innings this season. 

I don't know, CWS, people are calling me "chris" because I'm not falling in line and repeating their negative statements. When everybody starts screaming about some innocuous move, and my opinion is along the lines of, "I don't like it, but I don't think that's so far out of line", I become Chris Getz's burner account. 

I'm glad you're cautiously content with Crochet's pitching line today. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm totally being measured. It's not really my job to make excuses for an offense that some are picking to be in the first place mix at the end of the season. And somehow, those excuses aren't applying to the Sox hitters today. I wonder why. 

I'm very happy with the way the pitching staff looked today. Kopech looks to be the weakest link. And that's good. 

Both offenses were terrible last year (28th and 29th in runs), and are expected to be terrible in 2024.

PECOTA: White Sox Projected runs 691 (ahead of Oakland 685, Colorado 679, Detroit 661 and Washington 656).

FanGraphs: Detroit runs per game 4.46, ahead of the White Sox 4.30, Washington 4.27 and Oakland 4.22.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

25 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You’re trying to make people eat crow after 1 game.  Yes, you’re clearly being measured. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Both offenses were terrible last year (28th and 29th in runs), and are expected to be terrible in 2024.

PECOTA: White Sox Projected runs 691 (ahead of Oakland 685, Colorado 679, Detroit 661 and Washington 656).

FanGraphs: Detroit runs per game 4.46, ahead of the White Sox 4.30, Washington 4.27 and Oakland 4.22.

They're still pro hitters. I'm not sure what we're doing, here. Crochet had a very good game. Around a 70 game score. We aren't talking our way out of that. 

7 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

You’re trying to make people eat crow after 1 game.  Yes, you’re clearly being measured. 

Eat crow? I was told the entire pitching staff would eat balls from game one, basically. They looked good. This is like 1.5 on a 1-10 scale of wanting everyone to eat crow. 

49 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Crochet was really really good. Better than most of probably figured he would. Defense was ok. No massive boneheaded mistakes but. Wouldn’t call it great though. Maldonado was definitely the weakest link. 

The offense was as clueless as the stats suggest. 

I completely agree with this. Vaughn was robbed a couple of times at bat, tho. 

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Apparently it doesn’t happen, even against a very good pitcher.  It only happened one other time 57 years ago against a Hall of Famer.  This putrid offense is already setting records.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm guessing a lot of pitchers... good, bad and mediocre stiffs are going to throw a great game against this impotent lineup. 

Yes, this is going to happen a lot with this garbage lineup.  The guys we are banking on being good haven’t shown any consistency other than Robert and the bottom half of the starting lineup is composed of guys who are bad bench players at best.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yes, this is going to happen a lot with this garbage lineup.  The guys we are banking on being good haven’t shown any consistency other than Robert and the bottom half of the starting lineup is composed of guys who are bad bench players at best.

They looked just as bad offensively for the majority of spring training. Its not and won’t be just against good pitching. 

• Thanks 1