White Sox bring Mike Clevinger back, pending physical

37 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Absolutely nothing?  Well,  my team is playing baseball and trying to win. To me, that is something to root for. 

And you're right, there's a lot of negativity here. I'm just hoping there's a little bit less from now on with him gone. But really, on that point, I am not very optimistic

The Sox are trying to win?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

39 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Absolutely nothing?  Well,  my team is playing baseball and trying to win. To me, that is something to root for. 

And you're right, there's a lot of negativity here. I'm just hoping there's a little bit less from now on with him gone. But really, on that point, I am not very optimistic

Bless your heart if you think the Sox are trying to win this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

21 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It doesn’t.  Not when the 10 win difference will still only have the Sox finishing in the 50 to 70 win range and the Sox draft pick is already decided.

If the only thing that matters is young players performing well  then them performing well equals more wins. So actually a few more wins does matter to you . Maybe not with Clevinger but if winning builds confidence  I'd rather be winning more to build more confidence in the young players who don't want to be viewed as losers.

Eventually the younger guys will get their chances.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Bless your heart if you think the Sox are trying to win this year.

Isn’t it obvious!? They brought in Chris Flexen, Mike Soroka, Paul “Too Tall” DeJong, Nicky “Naperville” Lopez, Martin Maldonado, and 2023 KBO MVP, Erick Fedde!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Bauer and Urias come with an initial circus teams don't want to manage. Sox manage it and then move to a contender. I could see it being much more likely than trying clevinger after last year.

Once again, no one traded for Clevinger last year in the middle of a good bounceback season when he would have cost other teams nothing.  The Sox would have likely loved to dump any of his contract, even a million, regardless of getting back a Single A player that would probably never amount to anything.  Yet, there were still no takers.

Bauer has stated he will take a minor league contract and play for the minimum, yet once again, there are no takers.

Urías was placed on administrative leave by the MLB and still hasn’t been cleared of it.

The media circus around these guys won’t just go away after the first half of baseball.  It will follow them to whatever team acquires them.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

Well, some people think the Sox might win a few more games. But that's assuming they don't get shutout in Clevinger starts.

Does he bump Nastrini out of the rotation?  I can’t imagine they cut bait on Flexin this soon.  I guess I should wait and see the dollar amount, but no one wanted this dude at the deadline last year despite pitching well and no one wants him now despite likely costing very little.  If it’s dirt cheap it’s a whatever move I guess, but this ain’t a dude we’ll be able to flip for anything of value.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Once again, no one traded for Clevinger last year in the middle of a good bounceback season when he would have cost other teams nothing.  The Sox would have likely loved to dump any of his contract, even a million, regardless of getting back a Single A player that would probably never amount to anything.  Yet, there were still no takers.

Bauer has stated he will take a minor league contract and play for the minimum, yet once again, there are no takers.

Urías was placed on administrative leave by the MLB and still hasn’t been cleared of it.

The media circus around these guys won’t just go away after the first half of baseball.  It will follow them to whatever team acquires them.

Wrong.  Incorrect. Not true.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Would have cost teams $6.65M for like 8-10 starts with very little guarantee he was healthy at that time, but he likes to ignore that fact. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

What would Clevinger have cost other interested teams then, in your opinion, had there been any?

The guy also didn’t get signed until a week into this year’s baseball season by a team that needs him absolutely the least because they aren’t even in competition for anything.

It’s pretty obvious that there is pretty much zero interest in this guy outside of the pathetic and desperate White Sox.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would have cost teams $6.65M for like 8-10 starts with very little guarantee he was healthy at that time, but he likes to ignore that fact. 

Why do you not understand that Jerry would have gladly picked up $6 million of that to save $650K?  He ended up eating all $6.65 million anyways, in a losing season!  What don’t you understand?

Sure Jerry is cheap but he knows wtf a sunk cost is.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’m almost certain Sox would have kicked in money since they had to pay him anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox retained the salaries of everyone else they traded, why would it be any different for Clev? $4mil in cash was not the difference between trading Clevinger or not. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m almost certain Sox would have kicked in money since they had to pay him anyway. 

Of course Jerry would have, to save even the slightest amount of money.  This is an absolute no brainer.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yes, perhaps. It’s also possible JR wanted to cut payroll which the rest of their deadline moves would indicate. All we know for sure is that Clevinger was still owed like $6.65M on deadline day and had only 1 start since coming off the IL. I am not suggesting teams were interested, but it not hard to imagine the Sox were only interested in moving Clev if the other team was eating most or all of the $. 

3 minutes ago, nrockway said:

The Sox retained the salaries of everyone else they traded, why would it be any different for Clev? $4mil in cash was not the difference between trading Clevinger or not. 

Source? What money did the Sox eat in their deadline deals? I’m nearly certain they didnt eat any $ on Lynn, Kelly, Gio, ReyLo, Kelly or Graveman deals. 

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And now any MLB team could have just signed Clevinger for this paltry amount, yet only the cheap and pathetic White Sox pounce?  No team wanted the guy except for a very cheap owner who doesn’t want to pay true free agent pitcher prices.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why do you not understand that Jerry would have gladly picked up $6 million of that to save $650K?  He ended up eating all $6.65 million anyways, in a losing season!  What don’t you understand?

Sure Jerry is cheap but he knows wtf a sunk cost is.

Lol I understand that Clevinger was owed $6.65M. This is a fact. You’re making assumptions that JR was willing to eat $ to trade him, neither of us know. I am working with facts, you’re making assumptions that you have no clue are accurate. 

6 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I will say that the negativity is a little over the top after just four games. They’re bad, but they’re upper 50s to lower 60s wins bad. Not historically bad.

No I think they're going to give the 62 Mets and 03 Tigers a run for it. 

• Like 1