4/6 Games

BamaDoc

4 hours ago, chitown87 said:

Is it too much to ask for you to keep this bullshit in the big league threads?

Thank you. This thread turned to s%*# when Caufield, Fathom and that other person with anime pic came over. The first couple pages were pleasant. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Thank you. This thread turned to s%*# when Caufield, Fathom and that other person with anime pic came over. The first couple pages were pleasant. 

I’ve been in these minor league threads for almost a decade.  Criticizing Kanny’s roster is now considered unpleasant?  Give me a break.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’ve been in these minor league threads for almost a decade.  Criticizing Kanny’s roster is now considered unpleasant?  Give me a break.

Maybe you could contain the nonstop b**** fest to the MLB board and give some respite to those who just want to follow the minor leagues? It's 14 year old edge lord s%*#.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Speaking of the Kanny roster, Sox don't even have our # 14 Prospect, George Wolkow, on it.  He played last year in the Rookie League and hit a little bit.  He should be playing.

19 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is Gordon a top 30 prospect for the Sox? I don’t see him on any lists. Should he be?

He's not a high-ceiling guy, so I imagine he only becomes top 30 if he dominates in A+ or above.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

He's not a high-ceiling guy, so I imagine he only becomes top 30 if he dominates in A+ or above.

Got it. Lefty starting pitchers are hard to gauge though because sometimes soft throwers can be very successful if they mix speeds well and have good control.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Got it. Lefty starting pitchers are hard to gauge though because sometimes soft throwers can be very successful if they mix speeds well and have good control.

Has a killer change up IIRC

12 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m actually shocked at how bad it is.  You’d think most orgs would have plenty of semi interesting prospects pushing for playing time in Low A.

Yeah it's not good. Wolkow and the promisingn international class from last year will all start in the ACL on 5/4 though. They've spent so many high picks on pitchers and there's just a lack of talent in their international classes overall which is an issue. The players from the upcoming draft will likely make up the Kanny team in the second half. 

50 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Speaking of the Kanny roster, Sox don't even have our # 14 Prospect, George Wolkow, on it.  He played last year in the Rookie League and hit a little bit.  He should be playing.

Wolkow isn't ready for full season ball. He just turned 18. Starting in the ACL is the right call. 

33 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is Gordon a top 30 prospect for the Sox? I don’t see him on any lists. Should he be?

I don't think he's a prospect. He'll carve in the low minors though as a polished lefty. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Wolkow remained in Arizona after the performance camp to get ready for Minor League Spring Training. He has learned about life away from home at the old age now of 18, and of course the game itself, with the young power hitter targeting a return to Kannapolis as his next career step.

“My goal is get there as soon as possible,” Wolkow said. “If I could go [April 6th], I’ll be ready to go. Obviously, I have to trust in the decisions the White Sox organization is going to make. Go out and handle the everyday process and be the best version of me and good things will happen.

Merkin mlb.com

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah it's not good. Wolkow and the promisingn international class from last year will all start in the ACL on 5/4 though. They've spent so many high picks on pitchers and there's just a lack of talent in their international classes overall which is an issue. The players from the upcoming draft will likely make up the Kanny team in the second half. 

Wolkow isn't ready for full season ball. He just turned 18. Starting in the ACL is the right call. 

I don't think he's a prospect. He'll carve in the low minors though as a polished lefty. 

You’re right on Wolkow not being ready.  I had seem him on some sort of prelim or developmental roster for Kannapolis, so I was surprised when he didn’t actually make the final roster.  Obviously that’s a good thing for his development, but the meatball is eager to see him in full season ball.

Someone mentioned that Burrowes will eventually be there, which at least gives us one quality positional guy to follow.  Is Calvin Harris hurt?  I didn’t see him on either A ball roster.  But yeah, not much else from the 2023 draft.  And there just doesn’t seem to be a ton of LatAm guys who seem ready.  It’s a bummer that Erick Hernandez has struggled so much (still very young).

12 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

The DSL isn't pro ball. Its high school juniors on a dirt field vs pitchers that can't pitch. And I've never disqualified him outright. 

Mogollon's power will evaporate when he comes stateside.  He didn't show enough speed or enough of a hit tool to expect it to continue stateside either. 

Thus no tool for him, in my opinion, is good enough to project him to be more than a guy that will stall at AA or AAA

Aslo, you do know College is the equivalent of A+, AA if its the SEC. 

The DSL is the equivalent of JV in high school at times.  At times varsity 

Curious, if you haven't seen him play, how could you make these declarations about what he is or isn’t capable of doing? Seems to go against what industry scouting reports are saying he did in the DSL from scouts who watched him play with data to back it up.

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re right on Wolkow not being ready.  I had seem him on some sort of prelim or developmental roster for Kannapolis, so I was surprised when he didn’t actually make the final roster.  Obviously that’s a good thing for his development, but the meatball is eager to see him in full season ball.

Someone mentioned that Burrowes will eventually be there, which at least gives us one quality positional guy to follow.  Is Calvin Harris hurt?  I didn’t see him on either A ball roster.  But yeah, not much else from the 2023 draft.  And there just doesn’t seem to be a ton of LatAm guys who seem ready.  It’s a bummer that Erick Hernandez has struggled so much (still very young).

Harris is hurt. Not sure how bad. He’ll be primary catcher in Winston. Burrowes should be in Kanny when he’s ready as well 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Curious, if you haven't seen him play, how could you make these declarations about what he is or isn’t capable of doing? Seems to go against what industry scouting reports are saying he did in the DSL from scouts who watched him play with data to back it up.

Its what I do.  I rank and write about prospects across baseball.  Could it be a slight overreaction to what I have seen numerous times over the years, maybe.  Is it statistically the most likely outcome, yes absolutely. 

Any outcome is possible.  I'm just speaking to the greatest likelihood based on the statistical probability of what happens with the smaller stature players as they transition stateside. 

In the DSL and Rookie ball, power for smaller stature players appears, but as they face actual pitchers stateside that throw harder, are bigger, and more precise the power is zapped due to the physics of a baseball swing in correlation with their size. 

Smaller stature players have to break the physics and be more precise and perfect than taller and bigger players that have natural power and don't have to fight the physics.  

You ever wonder why Judge can flick the bat and hit a HR, it isn't bc of skill as much as it is size and length.  Longer levers create more power.  

So im just speaking to the realistic expectations of Mogollon 

10, maybe 15 home run power MAX with that dropping as he progresses higher in the minors. 

How's Madrigal's power?

How's Chapelli's power?

Those same "scouts" loved them as well 

Is Mogollon the once in a generation unicorn?

You tell me, do you really believe he is going to get to 20+ HR power?

Do you really believe he will get to 40+ SB 

Its more like a .270 avg, 10 HR (or less), 20-30 SB.  And thats in the minors. If he makes the bigs it will be more like 

.240, 0-5 HR, 10-15 SB. 

A prototypical utility bat at best.  

Just now, Polar Bear said:

Its what I do.  I rank and write about prospects across baseball.  Could it be a slight overreaction to what I have seen numerous times over the years, maybe.  Is it statistically the most likely outcome, yes absolutely. 

Any outcome is possible.  I'm just speaking to the greatest likelihood based on the statistical probability of what happens with the smaller stature players as they transition stateside. 

In the DSL and Rookie ball, power for smaller stature players appears, but as they face actual pitchers stateside that throw harder, are bigger, and more precise the power is zapped due to the physics of a baseball swing in correlation with their size. 

Smaller stature players have to break the physics and be more precise and perfect than taller and bigger players that have natural power and don't have to fight the physics.  

You ever wonder why Judge can flick the bat and hit a HR, it isn't bc of skill as much as it is size and length.  Longer levers create more power.  

So im just speaking to the realistic expectations of Mogollon 

10, maybe 15 home run power MAX with that dropping as he progresses higher in the minors. 

How's Madrigal's power?

How's Chapelli's power?

Those same "scouts" loved them as well 

Is Mogollon the once in a generation unicorn?

You tell me, do you really believe he is going to get to 20+ HR power?

Do you really believe he will get to 40+ SB 

Its more like a .270 avg, 10 HR (or less), 20-30 SB.  And thats in the minors. If he makes the bigs it will be more like 

.240, 0-5 HR, 10-15 SB. 

A prototypical utility bat at best.  

At the same time, heights for prospects are entirely unreliable, especially in the DSL.  For all we know the kid grew 3 inches and is 5'11", he was only 17.  Hell for all we know he is 20 (more of a joke related to the age falsification stuff going on down there).  

Ultimately overreacting to DSL stats are a slippery slope that will get you burned and it seems like futuresox and this board and leaning that way.  I'm just trying to be the cautionary and conservative voice here.

You have to be more conservative with those players than most bc as I said, these are mostly high school juniors, in fact the same age as Wolkow.  

I wonder if Wolkow hits 20 HR in the DSL last year, that would have been a fun experiment to do lol 

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

We did this already... it went back to his size.

11 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

At the same time, heights for prospects are entirely unreliable, especially in the DSL.  For all we know the kid grew 3 inches and is 5'11", he was only 17.  Hell for all we know he is 20 (more of a joke related to the age falsification stuff going on down there).  

Ultimately overreacting to DSL stats are a slippery slope that will get you burned and it seems like futuresox and this board and leaning that way.  I'm just trying to be the cautionary and conservative voice here.

You have to be more conservative with those players than most bc as I said, these are mostly high school juniors, in fact the same age as Wolkow.  

I wonder if Wolkow hits 20 HR in the DSL last year, that would have been a fun experiment to do lol 

I'm curious where your rankings and such are at, I'd like to check them out. I wouldn't define placing Mogollon in our top 30 (24 pre-Cease trade) and saying he's interesting as overreacting, but you can obviously disagree with that. When people perform and get high remarks and generally dominate a level like he did, they deserve some recognition and acknowledgement for that. With that being said, it's not our first rodeo, we're all familiar with the DSL and we've acknowledged/said as much that DSL numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt. We're very curious to track how his game plays stateside.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We did this already... it went back to his size.

I know, I just wanted to see what would come from this. 

16 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

We aren’t overreacting to anything at FutureSox. Actually, we have guard rails in place to make sure that we don’t. Where’s your top 30 list? 

• Love 1
  • Fire 3

Back to Wolkow. What if he started season at Kanny. Let's just say that he is overmatched and struggles for 30 games or so, since that's the conventional wisdom.  Is he ruined for life?  If he does struggle, send him back to Rookie League next month. If he hits well there, bring him back to Kanny.  Let's find out how good he is or isn't.

5 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Back to Wolkow. What if he started season at Kanny. Let's just say that he is overmatched and struggles for 30 games or so, since that's the conventional wisdom.  Is he ruined for life?  If he does struggle, send him back to Rookie League next month. If he hits well there, bring him back to Kanny.  Let's find out how good he is or isn't.

Good lord he's 18. What's the rush??  There's plenty of time to find out if he's good or not.  They knew it would take time when they drafted him and they had a plan and they're actually sticking to that plan.  Let him develop.  

• Fire 1

On 4/7/2024 at 7:56 AM, oldsox said:

I don't think he should. There just isn't a great place to put players like him their first season. He will be in ACL and he should be in ACL.

I'm also think its probably fine to give these guys more backfield/training and less reliance on game experience exclusively to develop them.

You're prob right. I'm impulsive.  I just don't think 30 days now in Kanny would destroy him.  He is prob back at ST facility taking batting practice, playing catch, and lifting weights.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Because rushing prospects is a large part of why the last 20 years have failed.

8 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'm curious where your rankings and such are at, I'd like to check them out. I wouldn't define placing Mogollon in our top 30 (24 pre-Cease trade) and saying he's interesting as overreacting, but you can obviously disagree with that. When people perform and get high remarks and generally dominate a level like he did, they deserve some recognition and acknowledgement for that. With that being said, it's not our first rodeo, we're all familiar with the DSL and we've acknowledged/said as much that DSL numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt. We're very curious to track how his game plays stateside.

I know, I just wanted to see what would come from this. 

And it isn't just futuresox, he got national attention.  

• Fire 1

57 minutes ago, oldsox said:

You're prob right. I'm impulsive.  I just don't think 30 days now in Kanny would destroy him.  He is prob back at ST facility taking batting practice, playing catch, and lifting weights.

If our ST site was florida and not AZ it may not be as big of a deal but yoking him around across the country I think is a little tough for an 18 year old.