Demote Vaughn

3 hours ago, Jake said:

Just FWIW, Sox are paying Benintendi no matter what. If we tried to make him play in AAA, he could just walk away and keep the money.

You could bench him until he’s had enough and retires, don’t think he gets paid in that situation.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

You could bench him until he’s had enough and retires, don’t think he gets paid in that situation.

The MLBPA would immediately file a grievance and if they won the Sox would have to pay him. Plus the negative blowback among the players around the league could cause ramifications in the future trying to acquire talent. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The MLBPA would immediately file a grievance and if they won the Sox would have to pay him. Plus the negative blowback among the players around the league could cause ramifications in the future trying to acquire talent. 

Yeah we just have to kick his kid out of the clubhouse.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I think the better play is to start providing his son Blake access to the clubhouse and then do a bait and switch.  At a minimum Pham won’t tolerate that s%*# and can be a catalyst for action.  Just got to hope that someone would be willing to quit and forgo all that money over something so stupid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I'm not up on the rules, but assuming he doesn't have to clear waivers, they should send him down and bring Colas up. 
it's ridiculous the way he's hitting.

I believe the Sox would have to DFA Benintendi to attempt to send him to the minors; however, he would have to agree to go.  He could instead choose to take the rest of his guaranteed contract, become a free agent, and sign with another team.  With so many years left on his deal, I doubt Jerry would approve cutting him loose.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I believe the Sox would have to DFA Benintendi to attempt to send him to the minors; however, he would have to agree to go.  He could instead choose to take the rest of his guaranteed contract, become a free agent, and sign with another team.  With so many years left on his deal, I doubt Jerry would approve cutting him loose.

I was unclear. I was talking about Vaughn. They’re just gonna have to cut Benintendi at some point, but he still has 3 1/2+ years left. 

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

For those that want to complain about the Burger trade, he is hitting .228 with a .281 OBP and a .702 OPS for Miami. 

Looks like the trade might end up being a wash for both sides. 

You knew he was slumping when his numbers weren't getting updated daily.

• Haha 1

On beni I would just waive him and see if anybody bites. but not even ten year old OOTP AI is dumb enough to put a claim in with that much dead money left. The best we would be able to do is take on another bad contract. You just know JR doesn't want to hear that and Getz won't do it. 

I dunno, it's not like we're loaded with top OF prospects so you just gotta keep trotting him out there. With the Pham "addition" (funny how 40 man concerns don't exist when it is to sign bargain barrel 1 WAR vets) Vaughn is the obvious candidate to lose playing time imo.  Send Vaughn to AAA and just let him try and have a "come to jesus" type swing adjustment and attitude refresh. Dude never is having fun out there, he needs to find something and it's not likely to happen at the MLB level right now. It's not like he'd take a pay cut so he might even welcome it. 

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

On beni I would just waive him and see if anybody bites. but not even ten year old OOTP AI is dumb enough to put a claim in with that much dead money left. The best we would be able to do is take on another bad contract. You just know JR doesn't want to hear that and Getz won't do it. 

I dunno, it's not like we're loaded with top OF prospects so you just gotta keep trotting him out there. With the Pham "addition" (funny how 40 man concerns don't exist when it is to sign bargain barrel 1 WAR vets) Vaughn is the obvious candidate to lose playing time imo.  Send Vaughn to AAA and just let him try and have a "come to jesus" type swing adjustment and attitude refresh. Dude never is having fun out there, he needs to find something and it's not likely to happen at the MLB level right now. It's not like he'd take a pay cut so he might even welcome it. 

The Sox have paid $11-12M of Benis $75M to this point. There is no chance they have waive him yet, nor should they frankly. 

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Right now he isn’t doing anything right. What really concerns me is when he was drafted he was thought to be very advanced, and selective. The first time I saw him bat in a spring training game, he only swung at strikes. He seemed destined to be a 90 plus a year walk guy, high OBP and big power. The two scouting reports I read were he was the second coming of Goldschmidt, and another said he was Konerko on steroids. He’s nor even Lamar Johnson on steroids.

Lamar could probably run slightly faster.

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2024 at 7:49 PM, Quin said:

I can think of no better place for a hitter to find their confidence than Charlotte.

A good organization would do that.   Sometimes a player wants to do that.

4 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

For those that want to complain about the Burger trade, he is hitting .228 with a .281 OBP and a .702 OPS for Miami. 

Looks like the trade might end up being a wash for both sides. 

.228 would’ve been the second highest BA in the lineup today.  Just saying…

14 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Right now he isn’t doing anything right. What really concerns me is when he was drafted he was thought to be very advanced, and selective. The first time I saw him bat in a spring training game, he only swung at strikes. He seemed destined to be a 90 plus a year walk guy, high OBP and big power. The two scouting reports I read were he was the second coming of Goldschmidt, and another said he was Konerko on steroids. He’s nor even Lamar Johnson on steroids.

AV plays the outfield like Lamar Johnson. 

I remember AV's rookie year. The last month or two he looked like he was on the verge of breaking out. Now he looks like the worst player in MLB.

His patience is gone, and he swings at everything. Lefty or righty doesn't matter anymore. Send him down or trade him. The Sox ruined this guy

with the poisonous atmosphere that surrounds our organization.

Edited by zisk
add

I wonder what is the issue with vaughn? At age 26 he still could easily have a breakout but a 100 wrc+ and -1 career war after 1700 career plate appearances is a big disappointment considering his draft prospect status.

When he was drafted he was considered one of the best college performers of all time.

His college career he hit 376/497/691 with 16% walks and 10% strikeouts and 50 Homers in about 700 PAs (a full mlb season).

That profile was considered flawless, he walked, didn't whiff and hit for power.

Then came minors time and he was pretty solid, his minors career he hit 278/386/472 with 8 Homers over about 250 PAs (like a low 20s homer pace). Power output was more ok than great at a 194 ISO but it was a small sample.

Then he got called up pretty early. First year wasn't great but whatever it was his first year and he wasn't terrible and second year he improved to a 113 wrc+ and people thought he might be ready for a breakout but then came another ok but mediocre year

I wouldn't read too much into his early struggles this year but the total body of work has been underwhelming.

Strikeout rate is fine but he doesn't walk much considering his pedigree and hits too many ground balls to tap into his decent raw power. 

I don't think he is terrible but getting 260 with a 320 obp and 20 Homers is not what you hoped for when he was drafted.

Is this a development failure? Should he have gotten more minors time? Or was he taught a wrong approach (contact oriented instead of "elevate and celebrate")?

Or was this just a case of "don't draft a 1b this early because if he only is a 105 wrc+ guy he isn't all that valuable"?

Just my opinion, obviously, but he doesn't really have the pitch recognition ability to excel at the MLB level. He's never hit righties well, and he clearly has no command of the zone. His ability to react to breaking balls just isn't there. This happens to many players, the extent of their physical ability (fast twitch, hand eye ability) isn't good enough. Add in that he lacks the leverage to drive the ball consistently with launch angle when he does get something he can handle, and you have a below average hitter. I saw him play a couple times at single A, and even though he has a couple well struck balls I was nervous about him then. He didn't stand out in any way, struck out a couple times, didn't hammer hitter's pitches consistently. 

It's a shame, the first thing is something it's very difficult to scout for, something like the processing ability of a QB going up levels. But Vaughn also just isn't really an athlete, and athletes are going to have a better chance to adapt.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For those whose eyes are sensitive to the color blue, I highly recommend not looking at Vaughn’s Statcast page.  Continuing to trot him out there day after day and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.  Just wild this org couldn’t figure out how to turn a top 5 pick, bat only prospect into even a league average hitter.  But alas, he’s been 25% below league average since July of last year and has shown zero signs of ever being a positive value player.

Not only would I send his ass to down AAA, but I’m make him dominate in that bandbox before even considering calling him up again.  Until then, Sheets get a make or break opportunity at 1B and Eloy gets the DH at-bats.  That opens up RF for a DeLoach or Colas platoon with Pham and Fletcher as the primary CF while Robert.  No more Gavin Sheets in the OF unless every other viable option is actually injured.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For those whose eyes are sensitive to the color blue, I highly recommend not looking at Vaughn’s Statcast page.  Continuing to trot him out there day after day and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.  Just wild this org couldn’t figure out how to turn a top 5 pick, bat only prospect into even a league average hitter.  But alas, he’s been 25% below league average since July of last year and has shown zero signs of ever being a positive value player.

Not only would I send his ass to down AAA, but I’m make him dominate in that bandbox before even considering calling him up again.  Until then, Sheets get a make or break opportunity at 1B and Eloy gets the DH at-bats.  That opens up RF for a DeLoach or Colas platoon with Pham and Fletcher as the primary CF while Robert.  No more Gavin Sheets in the OF unless every other viable option is actually injured.

Pham should NEVER play CF.