Abreu rumor

BigSqwert

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
aaron was arguably the best CF in the game last year, only making 3 errors all year.

no way anderson matches or comes close to that.

Ozzie is questioning Anderson's defense while KW raves about it. I think KW has seen more of it, and he thinks he's better defensively than Rowand. OF defense isn't all about errors. Rowand was very good defensively last season and phenomenal for a 2 or 3 week stretch in July and August, but Ozzie thought he was playing too deep in the playoffs, and he got some bad jumps. Also his throwing was pretty erratic last season. He made some great throws, but a lot of bad ones. Anderson should be more consistent in that area.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Um... Abreu won a gold glove this past year, he has to be a good OF to win that award

Torii Hunter won a gold glove last year, and he didn't catch a single fly ball in the last couple months of the season. Derek Jeter won a gold glove last year, when Uribe was VASTLY better. Abreu won a gold glove because he performed so well with his bat that people noticed him. I don't know if there are better defenders in NL outfields than him or not, since I don't watch enough NL Ball, but these days, a gold glove means FAR less than it used to.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
Ozzie is questioning Anderson's defense while KW raves about it. I think KW has seen more of it, and he thinks he's better defensively than Rowand. OF defense isn't all about errors. Rowand was very good defensively last season and phenomenal for a 2 or 3 week stretch in July and August, but Ozzie thought he was playing too deep in the playoffs, and he got some bad jumps. Also his throwing was pretty erratic last season. He made some great throws, but a lot of bad ones. Anderson should be more consistent in that area.

Anderson supposedly has a significantly better arm than Rowand. Combined with better speed. He learns how to get jumps like ARow, and he does project as a damn good outfielder someday.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
Um... Abreu won a gold glove this past year, he has to be a good OF to win that award

I know. It never ceases to amaze me the silly things I hear Sox fans say about players from other teams. Its like their just making it up. I know where talk radio gets their callers from

Not really.  A good starting pitcher who is only signed for one year, a 32 year old outfielder who isn't as good as Abreu but under a nice contract, and a prospect for one of the best outfielders in baseball doesn't seem like overpaying to me.  It's similar to what Tejada would cost but Abreu is a much better hitter.

I agree.

I like JD a lot, but I'd trade him fpr Abreu in a minute!

:headbang

From everything I've heard, Anderson's better defensively than Rowand. He just basically has to get a feel for the OF in CF, and then he will be just fine.

As for Abreu...he is not a gold glove caliber defender in RF. The day Derek Jeter won a gold glove at SS was the day that any credibility a gold glove gave to a defender vanished. Hunter was not a gold glove CFer last year because not only were some of his reads off, but the guy missed the last two f***ing months of the season...that's just ridiculous. That being said...Abreu is probably better defensively than Dye is in RF.

I'm still not sure I make this trade...part of the reasoning for KW making some of these trades were due to the players wanting to come to Chicago...Thome did, Mackowiak did, Vazquez obviously didn't mind it due to him not blocking a trade to Chicago, and, for the most part, he traded players that had very little impact on the chemistry of the clubhouse, aside from Rowand, and KW himself said that was harder for him to take than it was for Rowand. I bring this up because JD obviously likes it here, Contreras has said he's comfortable here, and there has been no indication from Abreu concerning his wanting of going to Chicago.

I just don't think there's any substance to this at all, and if there is, I'd be shocked as hell.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
I saw this, and it was a nixed trade. 

However, you guys will ignore the above sentence and turn this into a 30 page thread.

listen to this man fellas

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)
Soxtalk.com = Only place where Torii Hunter isn't deserving of a Gold Glove.

I thought a player actually had to be on the field to win a Gold Glove..

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Is this an abreu thread or a why the hell did torii hunter win the gold glove thread?

It's called a Thread Hijack.

Unless people want 30 pages dedicated to the top 10 reasons why Bobby Abreu outranks Jermaine Dye defensively. :)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
Ozzie is questioning Anderson's defense while KW raves about it.

The only quote I have seen about Anderson from Ozzie is the one where Ozzie says he is not worried if Anderson can hit and "only worried if he can catch the ball." I think too many people have translated this the wrong way. Ozzie means to say that Anderson will be a bottom of the order hitter so his bat doesn't matter as much as his defense. He is not saying that he thinks Anderson can't catch the ball but just that it is the only thing he needs to do to help the team.

Any one heard anything else from Ozzie that makes them think otherwise?

As far as Rowand, he was a great character guy and definitely helped the team last year so KW and Ozzie are being politically correct but I think he was as good as replaced this year so they were really looking to trade him. His defense was stellar most of the season but he did really make costly mistakes in clutch situations defensively and like some said previously, he was too often out of position for Ozzie's liking. Also, he struck out way too many times (especially with RISP) and he made baserunning mistakes, mental errors (bunting foul with 2 strikes without getting the signal from Cora), etc. I remember seeing Ozzie's face during the playoffs and how he cringed many times with Rowand at the plate, on the base paths and in the field. I think he was as good as gone then.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
Dude, referencing BP for your argument, than arguing a player's defensive value is in "errors" is like being a SUV driving vegan: it's bonkers.

Heck, Carlos Lee didnt make an error all 2004, he must be infinitely better than Abreu.

Hmmm...

Phillies GM Pat Gillick said yesterday that a deal that would have brought the Phillies a No. 1 or No. 2 starter fell through yesterday morning because the other team backed out.

It's possible -- probably even likely -- that the deal would have sent Bobby Abreu the other way. "They fell out," Gillick said. "Could the deal eventually happen? I'm not optimistic." The previously rumored Mark Prior-for-Abreu probably swap ever got that close. Abreu for Barry Zito? For Jose Contreras? For Josh Beckett? Erik Bedard is someone the Phillies have pursued, but he doesn't fit the description just yet.

Source:  Philadelphia Daily News

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
For what it is worth, Abreu isn't just another RFer, he is a boarderline HOF caliber RFer.  He is having a HOF career in a small market.  If that offer was really made to us I am a little disappointed that we didn't take it.  He could hit 50 HRs in the cell

No he couldn't.

He's hit 30 homers in a season twice in his career, while never hitting more than 31. He's not going to hit 50 anywhere any time soon, unless the Newark Bears suddenly have $15 mill a year to offer him.