Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Someone explain how this makes any sense, because i'm not seeing it:

Less teams in the market for starting pitching. Thus, less teams to bid and less talent in return. That is what he meant, but he certainly did not maximize the incoming talent, IMO.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
GIO'S BACK!!!

I honestly like this trade and I know I'm a minority. Garcia will do better in the NL, but we're setting ourselves up for the future really well with this trade. Floyd I think can at least turn into a great reliever still and Gio just makes my mouth drool. Thank God we got him back.

Seriously guys, we weren't going to get much better than this.

Gio was my favorite minor leaguer and I was very disappointed to see him go, glad he's back but COMON with the f***ing market like it is we should have gotten mucho more talent for Garcia, I'm bidazzled.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Someone explain how this makes any sense, because i'm not seeing it:

They didn't sign for as much money as KW expected. Basically, the market wasn't quite as crazy as he was hoping...I guess.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:27 AM)
This is one of the worst trades I have actually seen. We get two minor leaguers who won't make it big time for a 17-20 game winner. You can keep your GIO. I am sure he will have a spot in our pen because he is a lefthander, but will crap down his pant leg for the next two years, and floyd will never make it. Horrible trade, but for all you guys who are in love with prospects you should be rejoicing in the fleecing and embarrassment of the winter meetings. makes me want to cancel the season tickets. Oh by the way we still have all the same holes we had yesterday.Gavin Floyd, what a joke. Wait until next year when we back up the truck. Gavin Floyd equals Tim redding.

Yep...next year is the last year in our "window". I was really hoping we'd go all out.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:28 AM)
Garcia is gonna dominate in the NL. Gavin Floyd in the AL? I don't even have to say anything.

Not when he's pitching at Philly.

QUOTE(PhilliesBuff @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
Imagine if McCarthy came to the majors and laid a total egg, went to the minors and laid an egg again. Thats what Floyd felt like to us.

McCarthy DID LAY an egg his first time up...in 2005 he stunk it up, was sent down, came back and pitched great...this past year he was kinda all over the place.

Brandon McCarthy is still considered an elite prospect because of his stuff and his age...Gavin Floyd has the same type of stuff and is the same age. Floyd probably has a better fastball, McCarthy has the better changeup, and their curveballs are both awesome. Floyd has some maturity issues I think that need to be balanced out some and mechanics are inconsistent, but he is a 23 year old pitching prospect...Im not prepared to call him trash.

That being said, I do wish we could have gotten a little more...this was a trade you'd see from a team rebuilding and not one contending.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
They didn't sign for as much money as KW expected. Basically, the market wasn't quite as crazy as he was hoping...I guess.

Lilly getting $11M per and Schmidt getting $16M is still f***ing crazy and more than either should receive.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Garcia is gonna dominate in the NL. Gavin Floyd in the AL? I don't even have to say anything.

Garcia will be solid in the NL, but dominate. Nobody gets buy with a high 80's fastball and less than stellar control. He will have a 4.00 ish ERA.

Gavin is a top notched prospect that got roughed up in half a season in the major leagues...why does this not make him a top prospect still? I hope he spends the year at AAA and shows he has his s*** together and step into the rotation possibly in 2007.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Often injured huh? Two freak injuries doesnt exactly make him oft-injured.

He's only played more than 150 games in one year during 4 years of service time. Yeah I would say that is often injured

QUOTE(PhilliesBuff @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Imagine if McCarthy came to the majors and laid a total egg, went to the minors and laid an egg again. Thats what Floyd felt like to us.

There is no reason to believe that McCarthy won't do that. The chances of him being the next Cy Young, like so many have been treating him, are not looking all that good. If Contreras can't stay healthy and McCarthy sucks, we are the Cubs.

I don't get why they do this before locking up the season ticket money.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Yep...next year is the last year in our "window". I was really hoping we'd go all out.

Not when he's pitching at Philly.

Eh, it isnt over yet. I think I will wait until the first day of the season before I consider the offseason a complete failure.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:29 AM)
Gavin is a top notched prospect that got roughed up in half a season in the major leagues...why does this not make him a top prospect still? I hope he spends the year at AAA and shows he has his s*** together and step into the rotation possibly in 2007.

Cause his stuff has deteriorated, and there's concerns about his mental make-up.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Lilly getting $11M per and Schmidt getting $16M is still f***ing crazy and more than either should receive.

Or, maybe they landed in places KW wasn't expecting? I don't know, I don't get it. It sounds like KW got desperate and just made a deal.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)
There is no reason to believe that McCarthy won't do that. The chances of him being the next Cy Young, like so many have been treating him, are not looking all that good. If Contreras can't stay healthy and McCarthy sucks, we are the Cubs.

I don't get why they do this before locking up the season ticket money.

Cubs have a better offense

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:24 AM)
Agreed. I've said a couple times that we would NOT get the return everyone thought for one of our starters. But I still have strong reservations on this. Gio's been impressive, but he's still a guy who's been dogged by injury concerns since being drafted.

But I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I'm by no means happy, but I really don't think it's that terrible of a deal. Floyd + Gio + $10 million for one year of Garcia. Seems okay to me, potentially great if Coop can fix Floyd's mechanics.

This is not a setting-back-your-franchise type deal that the Vazquez deal could turn out to be.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Im telling you, Rocco Baldelli is coming. He has to be. He just has to be.

That doesn't do anything for me. Trade Garcia for crap to acquire Baldelli? Again, why exactly are we concerning ourselves with offensive production?

I swear to God if Williams believes acquiring Floyd makes McCArthy expendable in a trade for Crawford I'll just about lose it. I wouldn't like to believe so, but honestly -- does it seem likely to any of you another starter will be delt? You're already looking at a potential rotation with McCarthy (or Floyd, I suppose) included. Trading another starter for anything less than a prospect immediately available to pitch doesn't make sense.

I guarantee there's 15 GM's across the league thinking to themselves, "that's all it took?" We'll be seeing quotes posted on ESPN and various other websites which have major league sources saying, anonymously of course, Williams made a horrible trade. I can already envision a quote from the next Rosenthal colum:

"As one AL Executive told me, he was quite shocked at return value of Garcia. 'Many executives I've talked to suggested [Garcia] as one of the best pitchers available through trade,' he said. 'For Philadelphia to acquire him for such a weak package is a poor decision by Williams.'

Edited by Flash Tizzle