Thornton

Lemon_44

Alot has been speculated about trading Jenks in a deal for Upton. What about dealing Thornton as the main guy for BJ. He likely has more value as he's cheaper, lefthanded, and has no real injury concerns. He hasn't shown the overall, longterm ability to close out games but he did pretty well in his limited chances. Granted he would leave a gaping hole in the Sox pen but you have to give something to get something and Thorton's value may be at it's peak right now.

I'll be surprised if we don't deal Bobby. Thornton took over the closer's role and had some opportunities as I recall after Bobby was shut down. He looked like he deserves a shot at closer. The question is can we replace him in the 8th? Our other relievers pretty much suck.

2 years of Thornton at $5.25M combined is worth a ton. Thornton might be in line for $5M+ per from a major market team even just as a setup man if he was on the FA market right now, so he's very cheap for his production. I'd listen, but he would be a very, very, very difficult guy to move because then we'd have to sign someone like Gonzalez or Wagner if we wanted to try to replace him, and that would cost some good money plus a 2nd round pick (although thankfully because of our finish we wouldn't have to give up a first rounder).

If a Thornton deal could get us a couple pieces for an Adrian Gonzalez deal I'd probably do it, but it would have to be a major haul, and the Sox would then have to sign another lefty. I like to see what the Braves would offer, given that they could lose both Soriano and Gonzalez while getting 4 high picks in return.

Matt Thornton is one of the best left handed relievers in the game of baseball. That alone makes his value astronomically high to every team in baseball, including the White Sox. To acquire him, you would have to be getting a magnificent package in return. Upton is the type of player you look to acquire, but considering the Rays have JP Howell, who is one of the few left handed relievers in baseball I'd rank above Thornton, he doesn't have the value to the Rays that he does to the Sox or quite a few other teams around the league.

The Rays do not need to trade for a closer that badly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
Wouldn't this be the ultimate definition of "sell high"? With the sporadic nature of relievers, is a better bet that he comes back in form, or that he has an off year?

Usually I'd agree that relievers are so hit and miss from season to season and you can't really trust them

But Thornton's basically gotten better each season since he came over from Seattle, and he has that dominant fastball which unless he loses velocity, it's going to remain a major weapon, hence I'd think we'd continue to see very good numbers from him.

With Linebrink's inconsistency and Dotel maybe not returning, I don't think we can move Matt ATM.

Thornton is too valuable to this team. We presently have a dominant LH set up man, who probbaly can close also if needed. Judging by the prices quality relief pitchers may be commanding I am not sure Bobby Jenks will be traded either, but he is more likely to go then Thornton. I hope Jenks is ready to perform in 2010 and we end up having a great 1-2 ending to the game and a win

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
Wouldn't this be the ultimate definition of "sell high"? With the sporadic nature of relievers, is a better bet that he comes back in form, or that he has an off year?

Matt's one of the few relievers in the game who isn't sporadic which makes him so valuable. Trading him is a terrible idea at the moment.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 03:30 AM)
Matt Thornton is one of the best left handed relievers in the game of baseball. That alone makes his value astronomically high to every team in baseball, including the White Sox. To acquire him, you would have to be getting a magnificent package in return. Upton is the type of player you look to acquire, but considering the Rays have JP Howell, who is one of the few left handed relievers in baseball I'd rank above Thornton, he doesn't have the value to the Rays that he does to the Sox or quite a few other teams around the league.

Ranks among lefty relievers with at least 100 IP over the past 2 years:

FIP

Thornton: #1 2.58 (#4 among all relievers Broxton, Rivera, Papelon are 1,2,3)

Howell: #4 3.51 (#30 among all relievers)

WHIP:

Thornton: #1 1.038

Howell: #5 1.160

WAR

Thornton: #1 4.4

Howell: #3 2.6

ERA+

Thornton: #4 170

Howell: #2 179 (Scott Downs is #1 at 185)

BAA

Thornton: #5 .207

Howell: #1 .195

OPSA

Thornton: #1 .573

Howell: #4 .600

HR/9

Thornton: #6 0.64 (Joe Beimel is #1 at 0.43)

Howell: #10 0.75

K/BB

Thornton: #1 4.21

Howell: #13 2.38

K/9

Thornton: #2 10.57 (Mike Gonzalez is #1 at 11.17)

Howell: #4 9.86

BB/9

Thornton: #3 2.51 (Darren Oliver is #1 at 2.36)

Howell: #18 4.15

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2051883:date=Dec 2, 2009 -> 03:30 AM:name=witesoxfan)-->
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 03:30 AM)
<!--quotec-->Matt Thornton is one of the best left handed relievers in the game of baseball. That alone makes his value astronomically high to every team in baseball, including the White Sox. To acquire him, you would have to be getting a magnificent package in return. Upton is the type of player you look to acquire, but considering the Rays have JP Howell, who is one of the few left handed relievers in baseball I'd rank above Thornton, he doesn't have the value to the Rays that he does to the Sox or quite a few other teams around the league.

Ranks among lefty relievers with at least 100 IP over the past 2 years:

FIP

Thornton: #1 2.58 (#4 among all relievers Broxton, Rivera, Papelon are 1,2,3)

Howell: #4 3.51 (#30 among all relievers)

WHIP:

Thornton: #1 1.038

Howell: #5 1.160

WAR

Thornton: #1 4.4

Howell: #3 2.6

ERA+

Thornton: #4 170

Howell: #2 179 (Scott Downs is #1 at 185)

BAA

Thornton: #5 .207

Howell: #1 .195

OPSA

Thornton: #1 .573

Howell: #4 .600

HR/9

Thornton: #6 0.64 (Joe Beimel is #1 at 0.43)

Howell: #10 0.75

K/BB

Thornton: #1 4.21

Howell: #13 2.38

K/9

Thornton: #2 10.57 (Mike Gonzalez is #1 at 11.17)

Howell: #4 9.86

BB/9

Thornton: #3 2.51 (Darren Oliver is #1 at 2.36)

Howell: #18 4.15

Well damn, you could make a pretty good case that he's the best.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
To be fair thornton is 33 while on the other hand howell is merely 25. A case could be made for howell.

Well Thornton's coming up on his age 33 season and Howell on his age 27. This way it doesn't look quite as drastic.