Buehrle or Peavy on Opening Day?

BlizzardOfOzzie

Sorry if this is old news already - it's been a while since I've been here, but ... are we keeping Buerhle's opening day start streak intact, or has Peavy been designated the true # 1 ace and is he going to start instead? Doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious. Technically - we now have two aces, so that's kickass.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take Peavy because I want him going against other team's No. 1s. As much as I love Mark, Peavy is better and he should pitch against the other team's Ace. However, if they went Mark on opening day then switched to give Peavy the starts against the top pitcher of other teams, I wouldnt mind that.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I can't recall where on the Sox MLB page I saw the article, but I read that it is most likely that Buerhle will get the start and then have the possibility of being worked down towards 4th in the roster so he can be better rested for the 2nd half of the season.

EDIT: Found it.

Opening Day Starters

Though they certainly want to protect Buehrle's first-half workload, something possibly facilitated by starting him in the rotation's four slot, there's a good chance Buehrle will get his chance to set that Opening Day mark. The bottom line is that any of the five White Sox starters have the Opening Day pedigree, which is a good problem to have.
Edited by The Baconator

QUOTE (BlizzardOfOzzie @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Sorry if this is old news already - it's been a while since I've been here, but ... are we keeping Buerhle's opening day start streak intact, or has Peavy been designated the true # 1 ace and is he going to start instead? Doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious. Technically - we now have two aces, so that's kickass.

Mark has earned it and I am sure Jake won't mind at all

I'm not going to bother looking at the schedule right now, but the other question is how the rotation sets up against teams that you might run into. We might want Buehrle, Peavy, and Floyd facing the Twins but to keep Danks away from them since the MM's have killed him.

Buehrle

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Garcia

or

Peavy

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Garcia

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm not going to bother looking at the schedule right now, but the other question is how the rotation sets up against teams that you might run into. We might want Buehrle, Peavy, and Floyd facing the Twins but to keep Danks away from them since the MM's have killed him.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Danks has had good games against the Twins before, and he may have had that finger circulation problem last year. If I'm Ozzie, I'm always shooting for Buehrle-Peavy-Danks against the Twins. In the second half, that'll set up well.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Buehrle and then Peavy in the playoff opener.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. Buehrle's been the guy on opening day for so long now - I say we keep it that way and also, Peavy just starts in his turn, with no emphasis on who started when. pressure on Peavy to dominate in his first start of the season, etc. Peavy seems tough as nails and likely isn't phased by anything. But, Buehrle has been the guy to kick off the season for so many years in a row - it's old hat to him by now.

All I can say about our rotation is ... thank you Kenny Williams. Most sports fans (other than the Patriots, I suppose) hate their GM's. I love what Kenny Williams does to make this team compete every year. He doesn't fu*k around and doesn't care about what's popular or not. He's got the biggest balls in the game and we're lucky to have him as the GM of the Sox.