Beckham needs to be sent down

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
Alex Rodriguez is one of the greatest hitters of all time.

I don't even think his name should be brought into this. I thought Beckham had great gap power and decent speed and people surely thought he would whack 20 or more dingers a year as well. I think that's better than the average Mark Grudzalanek second baseman. And the White Sox moved him for Mark Teahen which is about the dumbest decision in franchise history.

You're looking at it wrong, they White Sox moved Chris Getz for Mark Teahen - defense aside.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly Johnson is supposedly available from the Diamondbacks.

I wonder if Kenny would consider calling up his good pal Josh Byrnes and contributing more to Arizona's farm system by trading for KJ. This would allow us to send Gordo down if need be, or, DFA Nix and have more flexibility once Mark Teahen comes back.

I don't know if it's a move we would make though considering the message it might send to Gordo...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
What if Beckham uses tonight as a springboard and actually gets hot?

That would be nice. He could still recover and hit .260 this season if he got red hot.

Man, I'll tell ya what, Stone Pony. Watching Gordon cross home plate felt good.

No seriously, it was like relief came over him after that double and scoring. Three RBI in one night? Let's hope it is that springboard. My biggest disappointment of this season has been Beckham's struggles (as I'm sure everyone who follows the Sox).

In fact, the two players I was most excited about (Beckham and Peavy) have been the most disappointing. Hopefully they are both ready for a turnaround.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Alexei Ramirez is a legitimate shortstop. The OPS among all SS's in the MLB is .696. Alexei is at .686 right now and, considering he's eclipsed that in the past two seasons and he's heating up like he normally does, it wouldn't be shocking to see him do it again. He's also solid defensively too.

Alexei Ramirez is better than your league average shortstop. Considering what he produces and how much he costs, he's really the least of the Sox concerns.

I understand your points, but I don't think any Sox fan would argue Alexei's production or contract. It's all gravy. But we've sacrificed defense big time this year to put Gordo at 2B, where I don't think he looks comfortable at all yet. Now we're stuck with Teahen's crappy D at 3rd, and it's not like Teahen is this great power 3B that fulfills typical power 3b production anyway.

Beckham was awesome at 3B. Now he's rotting away at the most useless position in baseball where teams stick their crappiest infielders. We need us a real Third Baseman, and hopefully we get it for next year. Who is it? And any of you guys who say 3B must be a power, plus-bat position, then you have absolutely no right to ever suggest Morel.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
Kelly Johnson is supposedly available from the Diamondbacks.

I wonder if Kenny would consider calling up his good pal Josh Byrnes and contributing more to Arizona's farm system by trading for KJ. This would allow us to send Gordo down if need be, or, DFA Nix and have more flexibility once Mark Teahen comes back.

I don't know if it's a move we would make though considering the message it might send to Gordo...

He's playing above his head right now.

You'll get a mediocre hitter for the rest of the year that can't field. Don't like it.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
I understand your points, but I don't think any Sox fan would argue Alexei's production or contract. It's all gravy. But we've sacrificed defense big time this year to put Gordo at 2B, where I don't think he looks comfortable at all yet. Now we're stuck with Teahen's crappy D at 3rd, and it's not like Teahen is this great power 3B that fulfills typical power 3b production anyway.

Beckham was awesome at 3B. Now he's rotting away at the most useless position in baseball where teams stick their crappiest infielders. We need us a real Third Baseman, and hopefully we get it for next year. Who is it? And any of you guys who say 3B must be a power, plus-bat position, then you have absolutely no right to ever suggest Morel.

That would be 1B, not 2B.

2B is just as valuable as 3B from a defensive point of view.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
That would be 1B, not 2B.

2B is just as valuable as 3B from a defensive point of view.

2b is more difficult to play than 3b. Leave Gordo there and let him turn into a top 5 2b. Well thats if he figures out this hitting thing.

Amazingly, despite the presence of Teahen and Nix at 3B, this team has been above average defensively this season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
He's playing above his head right now.

You'll get a mediocre hitter for the rest of the year that can't field. Don't like it.

I disagree. Obviously he got off to that red hot start, but he is a talented hitter. He's not some flash in the pan. He's going to be an .820 OPS player in this league for a long time, IMO. He's going to draw a lot of walks and probably settle into a .460-.470 slugging percentage, which is nothing to scoff at for a 2b. In our park he'd probably even be better.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
I disagree. Obviously he got off to that red hot start, but he is a talented hitter. He's not some flash in the pan. He's going to be an .820 OPS player in this league for a long time, IMO. He's going to draw a lot of walks and probably settle into a .460-.470 slugging percentage, which is nothing to scoff at for a 2b. In our park he'd probably even be better.

I agree he is a talented hitter and would do pretty well here. But I don't want to me Beckham back to 3b. I think any value he has is as a 2b.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
If people really believe the season is over, the last person we need to send down is Gordo.

It depends if you think he's going to learn more fighting through his struggles at the major league level, or getting on a hot streak down at AAA.

I'd probably lean towards the former. Remember how much Aaron Rowand struggled for his 1st season or 2 when he first came up for the Sox.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
I agree he is a talented hitter and would do pretty well here. But I don't want to me Beckham back to 3b. I think any value he has is as a 2b.

Yeah, I agree, long-term. Johnson is only signed through the end of the year. So if you DFA'd Nix, you could use Johnson as a 2b, utility OF, DH for the remainder of the year while possibly sending down Beckham. You could even trade or DFA Andruw if need be.

Depends on what the price is too obviously. I doubt Byrnes would give him away without getting a solid prospect back (which we do not have many of).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Yeah, I agree, long-term. Johnson is only signed through the end of the year. So if you DFA'd Nix, you could use Johnson as a 2b, utility OF, DH for the remainder of the year while possibly sending down Beckham. You could even trade or DFA Andruw if need be.

Depends on what the price is too obviously. I doubt Byrnes would give him away without getting a solid prospect back (which we do not have many of).

Johnson will be arbitration eligible in 2011. It'd take a very good prospect to nab him.

He's also a below average defensive 2B.

Beckham is fine defensively at 2B. He doesn't have a good first step, but has the makeup speed to make up for it. All you were seeing him do at the end of last year was finally getting adjusted to 3B. If he's given a couple years to develop defensively at 2B, he'll end up being just fine and perhaps even an all-star at some point.

I also don't think Williams envisioned Teahen being as bad defensively as he is. He's been quite undeniably the worst defensive 3Bman in the entire majors. He doesn't belong in the infield.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Beckham is fine defensively at 2B. He doesn't have a good first step, but has the makeup speed to make up for it. All you were seeing him do at the end of last year was finally getting adjusted to 3B. If he's given a couple years to develop defensively at 2B, he'll end up being just fine and perhaps even an all-star at some point.

I also don't think Williams envisioned Teahen being as bad defensively as he is. He's been quite undeniably the worst defensive 3Bman in the entire majors. He doesn't belong in the infield.

Teahen is nothing more than a nice utility player. He has the ability to fill in at multiple position and provide decent replacement numbers. Given him being left handed, he seems more of an NL utility guy to me, who can fill in to rest guys and also be a nice PH off the bench. At his salary unfortunately, he is a very expensive role player.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Teahen is nothing more than a nice utility player. He has the ability to fill in at multiple position and provide decent replacement numbers. Given him being left handed, he seems more of an NL utility guy to me, who can fill in to rest guys and also be a nice PH off the bench. At his salary unfortunately, he is a very expensive role player.

You should have told that to Kenny long before they got him. This was the move I still don't get.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
You should have told that to Kenny long before they got him. This was the move I still don't get.

Because he is still easily better than what we traded for him. His .727 OPS was also not killing this team, and even though his defense is bad, someone would have to let me know how many of his errors were truly critical.