Peavy

Jake

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
And looking at arbitrary separation points can lead to inflated values. Edwin Jackson had what I would classify as 1 bad start with the White Sox. On September 11th, Jackson put up a line of 5 IP, 13 H, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 K. Excluding that start, Jackson put up:

2.70 ERA

1.10 WHIP

2.2 BB/9

9.5 K/9

1 HR/9

His September stats, excluding that number, are

4.05 ERA

1.17 WHIP

2.4 BB/9

7.8 K/9

1.35 HR/9

If he goes all of next year and only has 1 bad start out of every 11 like he did, he's going to be in contention for the Cy Young.

Bingo. Count me in.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
But, ...Dan Hudson, Dan HUDSON, DAN HUDSON!!!!!!

Was this post really necessary? The only people who had a problem with the trade didn't think JR would find a 20 million dollar bill in his seat cushions.

And, I think we should wait until he makes a few more starts until we label him as a Cy Young contender.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
Was this post really necessary? The only people who had a problem with the trade didn't think JR would find a 20 million dollar bill in his seat cushions.

And, I think we should wait until he makes a few more starts until we label him as a Cy Young contender.

Who called him a Cy Young contender?

I said if he has 1 bad start out of every 11, he's going to be a Cy Young contender. That's like me saying that if I could hit a baseball 500 feet I'd be in the majors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
Who called him a Cy Young contender?

I said if he has 1 bad start out of every 11, he's going to be a Cy Young contender. That's like me saying that if I could hit a baseball 500 feet I'd be in the majors.

Joe Borchard can hit a baseball 500 feet and isnt in the majors

Yeah, but I would be. I'm far sleeker than Joe Borchard and I understand situations and I will keep the manager entertained. And I am scrappy. I hustle on every play and take the extra base. Plus I'm clutch too. Even though my average in innings 1-8 is .032, it's more like .911 from the 9th inning and on. I also once went from 1st to 3rd while standing in the outfield.

If I could hit it 500 feet...yeah, I'd be in the majors. Joe Borchard sucks. I don't.

Yeah, but I would be. I'm far sleeker than Joe Borchard and I understand situations and I will keep the manager entertained. And I am scrappy. I hustle on every play and take the extra base. Plus I'm clutch too. Even though my average in innings 1-8 is .032, it's more like .911 from the 9th inning and on. I also once went from 1st to 3rd while standing in the outfield.

If I could hit it 500 feet...yeah, I'd be in the majors. Joe Borchard sucks. I don't.

Brett-Lawrie-1.jpg

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

This has been long overdue.... a thread to track the progress, challenges, triumphs, and thoughts regarding Jake Peavy and his return to the Sox.

“Do I have unfinished business? Absolutely. Am I embarrassed, yes,’’ the White Sox right-hander insisted in a telephone interview on Wednesday. “I am yet to be in a Sox uniform completely healthy, feeling like the guy I was for seven years before that.

“When you get traded, you get traded for a reason, to be a front-end guy. I haven’t lived up to that and I’ll tell you what, it’s put a big chip on my shoulder to put that Sox uniform on and be that guy. Be that guy for [sox general manager] Ken Williams, for [board chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf], for [manager] Ozzie [Guillen], for my teammates and for the fans … a big chip.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...guy-injury.html

I love this guy - when he is on - he can be one of the best in the league.

For all the talk about how great our outlook is for 2011 - if Peavy can come back and pitch like the ace he has been... man - we're looking real good.

Peavy is one hell of an important piece - and I'm going to be on his side the entire way cheering.

:headbang

I love Peavy's attitude as well, but he was a lousy acquisition.

He was acquired too late his first year to help and his second year he was average to bad, then got good, then got hurt.

Love Peavy the person, but his performance as a Sox ... sucko so far.

That said, not to be a Scrooge ... MERRY CHRISTMAS! and GO SOX!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Love Peavy the person, but his performance as a Sox ... sucko so far.

There are two camps in regard to Peavy.

One says he is a badass and will return to badass-dom.....

The other says - well... what you say Greg.

With all due respect to the naysayers - stay outta this thread.

Only those with the faith shall rock here.

:headbang

“Do I have unfinished business? Absolutely. Am I embarrassed, yes,’’ the White Sox right-hander insisted in a telephone interview on Wednesday. “I am yet to be in a Sox uniform completely healthy, feeling like the guy I was for seven years before that.

“When you get traded, you get traded for a reason, to be a front-end guy. I haven’t lived up to that and I’ll tell you what, it’s put a big chip on my shoulder to put that Sox uniform on and be that guy. Be that guy for [sox general manager] Ken Williams, for [board chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf], for [manager] Ozzie [Guillen], for my teammates and for the fans … a big chip.’’

I'm not a naysayer, I just want him to shut up and pitch. I want him to dominate and be the ace we need him to be. I want opposing teams to fear him when he comes to the mound. I want twins, yankees and red cub fans to be like "f***, PEAVY IS GOING TONIGHT" before important games down the stretch.

I couldn't care less what he says.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:27 AM)
I'm not a naysayer, I just want him to shut up and pitch. I want him to dominate and be the ace we need him to be. I want opposing teams to fear him when he comes to the mound. I want twins, yankees and red cub fans to be like "f***, PEAVY IS GOING TONIGHT" before important games down the stretch.

There's not a whole lot more he can do right now. I mean, not even Cliff Lee is shutting b****es up because it's, you know, December.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 03:27 AM)

Well, it's not like he is showing up on Monday Night Raw and saying this stuff. The White Sox love his competitiveness and so they call on this inspirational stuff every now and again.

But you're right...let's translate it to the field now.

At least we know he's fired up to win with this team.

Peavy was pretty bad the first couple of months, but seemed to really turn a corner at the time he went down. I think his ERA was below 2.00 his last 5 or 6 starts. I don't think anyone really knows how this injury will affect him. You hear the good news is he didn't tear anything, the muscle just basically fell off or detached from the bone.

He's a huge question mark, but at least its not like a guy who had shoulder surgery. You have to figure there's at least a halfway decent chance he still has most of his stuff if not all. How long he will have it is another thing.

Its still my favorite KW trade. I loved the Contreras trade, but he wasn't an ace at the time of the deal.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Esp. as the doctors say Jake can go "full-bore" in Feb. I'd be more concerned if the injury was to his shoulder or arm. There's less stress and torque on the lat muscle for Peavy pitching. Yet the fact that no pitcher has had this injury before raises alarm bells. And questions about if he can come back and for how long. That doesn't even take into account a possible injury to his elbow or arm if he overcompensates for the lat injury. Oh well, it's the season of hope, right.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 06:56 AM)
I'm cautiously optimistic. Esp. as the doctors say Jake can go "full-bore" in Feb. I'd be more concerned if the injury was to his shoulder or arm. There's less stress and torque on the lat muscle for Peavy pitching. Yet the fact that no pitcher has had this injury before raises alarm bells. And questions about if he can come back and for how long. That doesn't even take into account a possible injury to his elbow or arm if he overcompensates for the lat injury. Oh well, it's the season of hope, right.

There is a lot of stress on the lat during throwing. It is the primary internal rotator of the shoulder. so when the arm is coming forward it is provding most of the power. That being said it isn't a stabilizer of the joint which is why it isn't under the same type of stress as the rotator cuff which needs to hold the joint together and slow the arm down during the follow through. The challenge for the rest of the rehab will be to strengthen the muscle that was dormant for months. That takes time but is just a prcess that will happen but you just aren't sure of the time frame with regards to getting the "stuff" back on the pitches. I'm confident it will happen in time for the season or at least early in the season but that will be the only limiting factor.

I can't think of a time recently that our overall success as a team was so tied into one player being healthy and performing like they're capable. If we get the Peavy we're all praying for, we can run with anybody. That includes the Red Sox. The guy is that talented. His 1.75 ERA last June is sufficient evidence of that.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
There is a lot of stress on the lat during throwing. It is the primary internal rotator of the shoulder. so when the arm is coming forward it is provding most of the power. That being said it isn't a stabilizer of the joint which is why it isn't under the same type of stress as the rotator cuff which needs to hold the joint together and slow the arm down during the follow through. The challenge for the rest of the rehab will be to strengthen the muscle that was dormant for months. That takes time but is just a prcess that will happen but you just aren't sure of the time frame with regards to getting the "stuff" back on the pitches. I'm confident it will happen in time for the season or at least early in the season but that will be the only limiting factor.

Thanks for the medical view. I know that's your background. So, would you say we could look for less MPH, movement on his pitches early on, as the muscle regains strength? Also, how likely is the muscle to become "unattached" again? Isn't that the unknown, as pitchers haven't had this type of injury before?

I love the attitude but I am in the camp that the White Sox think he is not going to pitch and the insurance money is paying for these new guys. Getting healthy and throwing and being a big league pitcher are vastly different.

I hope I am wrong as if they get 30 starts out of him they win the division and are as good as anyone in MLB.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
I can't think of a time recently that our overall success as a team was so tied into one player being healthy and performing like they're capable. If we get the Peavy we're all praying for, we can run with anybody. That includes the Red Sox. The guy is that talented. His 1.75 ERA last June is sufficient evidence of that.

I think Peavy is a key certainly. But the sox winning the Central has more to do with the offense, defense and bullpen being above average and doing it's job than Jake being healthy. The Starting Pitching of Mark, Floyd, Danks and Jackson could keep the sox more than competitive.