Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
That's a best case scenario. But let this be a final lesson as far as spring training fluff goes.

not sure who you're directing that at, if it is the media that's somewhat fair, but for the Sox org, I don't think it fits. At the very beginning of ST they came out and said there would be a setback, but for 3 weeks he pitched a normal schedule of a pitcher, increasing his pitch count with decent velocity for early to mid march. It wasn't until yesterday that the Sox talked about opening day roster, but what were they suppose to do? It's in 2 weeks and he was on track. We'll see, hopefully it's what ptac is talking about with the muscles lacking due to time off pitching and it's what the Sox and doctors expected.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
not sure who you're directing that at, if it is the media that's somewhat fair, but for the Sox org, I don't think it fits. At the very beginning of ST they came out and said there would be a setback, but for 3 weeks he pitched a normal schedule of a pitcher, increasing his pitch count with decent velocity for early to mid march. It wasn't until yesterday that the Sox talked about opening day roster, but what were they suppose to do? It's in 2 weeks and he was on track. We'll see, hopefully it's what ptac is talking about with the muscles lacking due to time off pitching and it's what the Sox and doctors expected.

It wasn't directed at anyone. But C'mon. We used to clown the Cubs all the time whenever it appeared Wood and Prior were ready to go and they mysteriously had a 'setback.' I didn't buy the bright and shiny Peavy crap from the start. I kept quiet because I didn't want to pollute the board with negative vibes or whatever. But my fury will be unleashed now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
It wasn't directed at anyone. But C'mon. We used to clown the Cubs all the time whenever it appeared Wood and Prior were ready to go and they mysteriously had a 'setback.' I didn't buy the bright and shiny Peavy crap from the start. I kept quiet because I didn't want to pollute the board with negative vibes or whatever. But my fury will be unleashed now.

but the Sox didn't float those vibes, they didn't plan on him being ready for opening day and they said there would be a setback, completely different than what the Cubs did. In fact the Sox didn't hide him in simulated games or towel drills, they had him pitch in ST games and kept all or at least some of his warm ups in front of the crowds. So some fans can't get a little excited from a guy appearing ahead of schedule? I think many people have taken a cautious attitude with it as well.

Peavy story updated on ESPN Chicago with quotes from Ozzie:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6240184

Not only is Peavy out for his next spring start, Thursday against the Cubs, manager Ozzie Guillen is also saying the right-hander likely will miss the start of the season, which means a stint on the 15-day disabled list could be forthcoming. On top of all that, Guillen appears to have lost his trust in Peavy. The right-hander convinced the White Sox last season that he could pitch through pain and he blew out his latissimus dorsi muscle. This spring he told them he was capable of pitching through soreness and then came Sunday's setback.

"Believe me as long as I am the manager of this ballclub that is the last time he convinces me," Guillen said after Sunday's 9-7 defeat to the Dodgers. "I will make the call. I will have the power to let him go out or not. I know it sounds powerful but the last two times he didn't convince me, he convinced everybody he could go out there and perform and the next day we get bad news.

"I am the manager of [this] club and I was the guy who was against [him pitching Saturday], but he said he was fine and ready to pitch. I have full responsibility of players and at end of the day it's on my shoulders how people get hurt or not."

I'm kinda glad Ozze's pissed. Peavy's all "I'm feeling good," "Only regular pitching soreness," but now all the sudden he admits he's been feeling this since after the Angels game? The dude isn't just playing Russian Roulette with his recovery, but with the preparation necessary for the season. It's kinda selfish.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)

The big difference is that the Cubs knew they weren't ready so they pitched only side sessions when the setbacks occurred.

The Sox knew he was healthy and knew he was ready to go and that's why they pitched him in games. The problem here is that with the unknown rehab schedule due to the rarity of the surgery, the Sox trusted Peavy to tell them how he felt. The intensity of the throwing was more than the strength of the weakened shoulder could handle. You can be as pessimistic as you want but he is still far ahead of schedule for his return and that fact that he was able to get to 80 pitches during spring training is a very good sign.

Where is Freddy Garcia when you need him?!? :crying

I still like our chances without him. However, now we are in a position where we will likely be scrambling to find that 5th starter until June or so. Ahhh the infamous black hole at the 5th starter spot. Remember those days from 2001-2004?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
First of all, his contract makes him impossible to "dump."

Secondly, I suppose if we want to hurt his value and completely mindf*** him, we can do that.

Rather mindf*** him than let him continue to mindf*** us.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
The big difference is that the Cubs knew they weren't ready so they pitched only side sessions when the setbacks occurred.

The Sox knew he was healthy and knew he was ready to go and that's why they pitched him in games. The problem here is that with the unknown rehab schedule due to the rarity of the surgery, the Sox trusted Peavy to tell them how he felt. The intensity of the throwing was more than the strength of the weakened shoulder could handle. You can be as pessimistic as you want but he is still far ahead of schedule for his return and that fact that he was able to get to 80 pitches during spring training is a very good sign.

No room for rational reactions in Sox Nation, but thanks as always.

‘‘At this point, it isn’t considered anything more than the blip we were told to expect at the start of camp,’’ Ken Williams

A healthy Jake Peavy seems to be something of a myth.

And as far as I'm concerned it's always going to be as long as his mechanics don't change. I cringe ever time I watch him throw a pitch.

QUOTE (Ron @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
I'm kinda glad Ozze's pissed. Peavy's all "I'm feeling good," "Only regular pitching soreness," but now all the sudden he admits he's been feeling this since after the Angels game? The dude isn't just playing Russian Roulette with his recovery, but with the preparation necessary for the season. It's kinda selfish.

That's our dirtbag! :laughtrack

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 01:22 AM)
Heyman just tweeted scouts are impressed with Humber's new cutter.

Philip Humber: Esteban Loaiza 2011 edition...xD

seems to me this is coopers modus operandi....just about every new guy we get ends up developing some sort of a cut fastball

Hopefully Peavy's rotator cuff tendonitis is all that his discomfort really is. I remember Rick Sutcliffe once saying when the medical staff is uncertain of exactly what is causing your pain, you have tendonitis. I just hope its nothing that could be far more serious.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)

Thanks again. Its always good to get a practical angle here is a sea of emotion.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 07:15 AM)
Hopefully Peavy's rotator cuff tendonitis is all that his discomfort really is. I remember Rick Sutcliffe once saying when the medical staff is uncertain of exactly what is causing your pain, you have tendonitis. I just hope its nothing that could be far more serious.

That was also 25 years ago. Medicine has changed a lot since Rick pitched.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
That was also 25 years ago. Medicine has changed a lot since Rick pitched.

He actually said this about another hurt pitcher a couple of years ago. It may be and hopefully is exactly what is being described, but as far as I know, Peavy hasn't had a full exam of the rotator cuff, and even a real complete exam doesn't guarantee the problem is uncovered. If you remember Lorenzo Barcelo, the supposed big prize of the White Flag trade, he was complaining about incredible soreness. The Sox doctors examined him and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. KW basically called him a p****. Eventually he had both shoulder and elbow surgery, and never pitched again.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Coop was going to be on with Mully and Hanley this morning after 8:30. Anyone hear him?

I listened on my way into work this morning. Nothing out of the ordinary. One thing interesting he said..which is not a good sign if taken literal. He said that they have to go back to square 1 with Jake, get him ready for 1st round of the playoffs. Pretty much he said they are unsure of where the injury will take Peavy from here. They are going to rest him for a couple days, see where the pain is and then start strengthening his shoulder. From the sounds of it, PTAC is right as far as the injury, but no one really knows how long he will be out. Coop also said Humber will start until Jake is ready.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 07:15 AM)

this is true. As stated earlier medicine has advanced but it is still educated and informed guesswork. There is no way to be certain what is causing the pain unless you do an arthroscope. The medical staff can only go by the palpation and special tests they perform on his shoulder and relate it to typical symptoms from his history. It's pretty rare that rotator cuff tendonitis is missed as something more serious due to strength testing. You can be strong with pain and it indicates tendonitis. If it's painful and weak there are a multitude of things that are in play. The primary problem here is they obviously cannot trust the subjective pain level from Peavy because he either has an extremely high pain tolerance (which is rare) or he is down playing the pain level because he wants to keep going. This makes the rehab from here on out a little more challenging and probably more conservative.