Lucas Harrell Called Up

flavum

I think Gregory Infante is way better, but since we need a guy to pitch many innings in Pena's role, he makes the most sense.

Let's hope he gets a good feel for his sinker because that really determines how he pitches.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
That Jeff Gray move looks even more odd as he was doing exactly what they wanted Pena to do.

Now the Sox are saying they are not happy with Pena when he has been ineffective for over two years.

Athletes are often judged by their reaction times. However; coaches, managers ,general mangers can can take as long as they want to make decisions.

Unbelievable how the Sox have no minor league pitching help. This is a joke. They have to be the only team in baseball that can't bring one decent pitcher up from their minor leagues.

Imagine how lucky the Sox have been. Many teams go through so many injuries each year that they need to pull up 4 or 5 pitchers from their minors. Amazingly, many of these teams have excellent pitching prospects that actually pitch well while they are up here and some stay!

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 29, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
Imagine how lucky the Sox have been. Many teams go through so many injuries each year that they need to pull up 4 or 5 pitchers from their minors. Amazingly, many of these teams have excellent pitching prospects that actually pitch well while they are up here and some stay!

This isn't luck when it happens year after year. Its a credit to the training staff and to the coaches running things.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
This isn't luck when it happens year after year. Its a credit to the training staff and to the coaches running things.

And the pitching coaches for teaching and maintaining proper pitching mechanics.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2011 -> 06:26 AM)

So you blame Nardi Contreras for the slew of pitching injuries from 2000-2001?

Wright

Barcelo

Stumm

Rauch

Biddle

Wunsch

Howry

Jim Parque

James Baldwin

Mike Sirotka

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 30, 2011 -> 03:46 AM)
Unbelievable how the Sox have no minor league pitching help. This is a joke. They have to be the only team in baseball that can't bring one decent pitcher up from their minor leagues.

I think we have some talent pitchingwise in the minors, but they aren't ready. The situation with Gray, who was not a Sox draft, was very troubling. Harrel went four innings and gave up four runs Sunday and Jeff Gray went 4 inning with Seattle and gave up 1 run. He left here with an EA of 2.70. Pena for the most part was ineffective. So we keep Pena and let Gray go? Humber is also not a Sox farm hand, but has seemingly been able to turn things around this year. I know it takes some time to develop and we will see whether Phil can keep it up. I hgope so as he has looked very impressive so far, We have to get other teams drafts and develop them instead of developing our own players. There is something not right about that. I hope we are getting the minor league system changed around. But, once again I know it takes time

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
So you blame Nardi Contreras for the slew of pitching injuries from 2000-2001?

Wright

Barcelo

Stumm

Rauch

Biddle

Wunsch

Howry

Jim Parque

James Baldwin

Mike Sirotka

Many people blame Contreras. Those guys all basically had the exact same injury, torn rotator cuff. Nardi didnt seem to worry too much about mechanics

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 30, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Many people blame Contreras. Those guys all basically had the exact same injury, torn rotator cuff. Nardi didnt seem to worry too much about mechanics

There's also likely a lot of conditioning and throwing regime impacting that type of repeat injury.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 30, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
I think we have some talent pitchingwise in the minors, but they aren't ready. The situation with Gray, who was not a Sox draft, was very troubling. Harrel went four innings and gave up four runs Sunday and Jeff Gray went 4 inning with Seattle and gave up 1 run. He left here with an EA of 2.70. Pena for the most part was ineffective. So we keep Pena and let Gray go? Humber is also not a Sox farm hand, but has seemingly been able to turn things around this year. I know it takes some time to develop and we will see whether Phil can keep it up. I hgope so as he has looked very impressive so far, We have to get other teams drafts and develop them instead of developing our own players. There is something not right about that. I hope we are getting the minor league system changed around. But, once again I know it takes time

Gray was let go because the Sox traded a guy who, at the time, was considered a good prospect for Peña. It seems to be a pride thing for KW. We'll keep getting the guy shoved down our throats (ew) because of it. The same thing applies to Tyler Flowers. Since he was the centerpiece of the Vazquez trade, they're going to keep counting on him as a big part of the team's future even though he seems to not be very good.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 30, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
The same thing applies to Tyler Flowers. Since he was the centerpiece of the Vazquez trade, they're going to keep counting on him as a big part of the team's future even though he seems to not be very good.

hes doin pretty good in AAA right now

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
There's also likely a lot of conditioning and throwing regime impacting that type of repeat injury.

It seems like they also are taught not to go at 100%, but instead concentrate on accuracy and repeatability more than anything.