2012-2013 NFL Thread

Yea I read something a month or so ago that said Knox isn't even able to run yet. we are a year after the injury and he can't even run, that is not a good sign.

I could see Emery using a 4th - 6th round pick on a speedster

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
Yea I read something a month or so ago that said Knox isn't even able to run yet. we are a year after the injury and he can't even run, that is not a good sign.

I'd be okay with that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Knox may never walk the same let alone run the same according to the last doctor reports I heard.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)

I'm waiting to hear back from his agent with his progress and ptact in a pm with his thoughts on the injury. The recent articles I've read are incredibly vague, saying he's merely fighting or battling to get back on the field.

If it doesn't look good then yes, a speedster in the late rounds would be the direction to go.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
That's not saying much. Knox, even before this awful injury, was soft and had gator arms over the middle, and fumbled, and would drop passes. Kick returns would be fine and go routes.

Knox getting hurt last year was because of his gator arms. If I remember correctly, didn't he catch the pass and then fumbled by bobbling it in the middle of his run? That resulted in him and just about everyone else diving towards the ball. It just so happened that a big defensive lineman ended up diving on him.

From our very own Ptatc-

After a spinal fusion, speed will not be an issue. It will not effect his physical abilities at all. It's going to be a confidence issue with getting hit and twisted around. A fracture in the vertebrae with no residual neurologic effects it not a big issue. The only way it will effect his physical performance is if there are continued neurologic effects.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
Knox isn't perfect by any means, but if he is back into form he is plenty good for a 4th WR.... you aren't going to find many 4th WR's in the NFL that don't come with a list of flaws.

Knox in the slot close to what he was prior to the injury would be a huge coup. He is exactly what the receiving corps could use. They obviously need a TE as well plus oline help.

"Emery said there's "a sense of urgency" to conclude the search as quickly as possible and ideally he'd like to "stand shoulder to shoulder" with the new head coach at the Jan. 19 East-West Shrine Game or the Senior Bowl, set for Jan. 26."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8799497

I think Emery knows exactly who he wants

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
"Emery said there's "a sense of urgency" to conclude the search as quickly as possible and ideally he'd like to "stand shoulder to shoulder" with the new head coach at the Jan. 19 East-West Shrine Game or the Senior Bowl, set for Jan. 26."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8799497

I think Emery knows exactly who he wants

Jiggetts was talking about the urgency to get someone quickly. So many teams are looking for a coach, not only can you lose out on the best candidate, the top assistants will be scooped up as well.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
The fan polls have Gruden as the fans" choice to take over. 45-51 his last 6 seasons as a head coach with 0 playoff wins. Don't ever underestimate what making faces on the sideline does for your popularity.

Gruden won Rich Gannon an MVP and won a Super Bowl with a team Dungy couldn't, probably because Brad Johnson was the QB.

He started going downhill when he got too much power and started drafting his guys. If he took this job, he'd know Emery would have last say in things.

Gruden is a great offensive mind and he loves Cutler. Maybe time away from the booth would help him in today's NFL.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
Gruden won Rich Gannon an MVP and won a Super Bowl with a team Dungy couldn't, probably because Brad Johnson was the QB.

He started going downhill when he got too much power and started drafting his guys. If he took this job, he'd know Emery would have last say in things.

Gruden is a great offensive mind and he loves Cutler. Maybe time away from the booth would help him in today's NFL.

2002. Nothing since. If he would back off personnel decisions and just coach, and has the energy to do the job, Holmgren is a far better bang for your buck.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)

I don't know if you noticed this, but Gruden loves EVERYONE!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
Would you harshly criticize players if you were hoping to get another coaching job?

*points a thumb at iamshack*

THIS GUY RIGHT HERE, I LOVE HIS ENTHUSIASM FOR SOXTALK, AND I AM OF THE OPINION THAT HE IS THE BEST POSTER IN THE POSTING UNIVERSE.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
*points a thumb at iamshack*

THIS GUY RIGHT HERE, I LOVE HIS ENTHUSIASM FOR SOXTALK, AND I AM OF THE OPINION THAT HE IS THE BEST POSTER IN THE POSTING UNIVERSE.

Yeah, I get it...and he overuses cliches all the time too...I wouldn't want him as our head coach. But I do like his enthusiasm and I think he is fairly well-liked around the league.

I'm not disagreeing that he could use a little more Cris Collinsworth or Troy Aikman in him, but I understand his hesitancy to be too critical.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
Would you harshly criticize players if you were hoping to get another coaching job?

You'd think his hard-ass mentality from when he was a coach would carry over somewhat to the booth. Not even close.

Edited by chw42

Did anyone look into the fact that Emery mentioned he would promote one of the assistants to head coach? Was he hopefully just talking about Dave Toub? My guess if the new coach comes in lots of the coaches under contract will be let go or demoted.

Mike McCoy and Bruce Arians are at the top of my list, but I have a feeling Emery has a guy in mind that he'd like to see coach the Bears and I hope to god it isn't Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher. It doesn't matter as much who the head coach is as it is who the offensive coordinator is -- unless he does both like the GB coach does. Draft some lineman, replace Urlacher with a new linebacker and let's get moving in 2013. I can't see this being a complete rebuilding year.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
Did anyone look into the fact that Emery mentioned he would promote one of the assistants to head coach? Was he hopefully just talking about Dave Toub? My guess if the new coach comes in lots of the coaches under contract will be let go or demoted.

Mike McCoy and Bruce Arians are at the top of my list, but I have a feeling Emery has a guy in mind that he'd like to see coach the Bears and I hope to god it isn't Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher. It doesn't matter as much who the head coach is as it is who the offensive coordinator is -- unless he does both like the GB coach does. Draft some lineman, replace Urlacher with a new linebacker and let's get moving in 2013. I can't see this being a complete rebuilding year.

I didn't hear or see that quote anywhere about promoting an assistant to HC

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
Yeah, I get it...and he overuses cliches all the time too...I wouldn't want him as our head coach. But I do like his enthusiasm and I think he is fairly well-liked around the league.

I'm not disagreeing that he could use a little more Cris Collinsworth or Troy Aikman in him, but I understand his hesitancy to be too critical.

I wasnt trying to tease you, just making fun of Gruden.

One thing that I was thinking about was Gruden has familiarity with the Tampa 2, also with Marinelli. I think emery is going for MCCoy, but something to think about

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 02:04 AM)
I didn't hear or see that quote anywhere about promoting an assistant to HC

He was asked if he would consider an internal candidate and he said he wouldn't rule it out. But, that's kind of the answer you should say regardless. I wouldn't read too much into that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
I wasnt trying to tease you, just making fun of Gruden.

One thing that I was thinking about was Gruden has familiarity with the Tampa 2, also with Marinelli. I think emery is going for MCCoy, but something to think about

I honestly think he is still open-minded, but he may just be a good actor. I get the impression that he wants to talk to some folks he has worked with before, some of the hot NFL candidates, and some of the hot college candidates, and see who makes him comfortable.

Watching the press conference from this morning, pretty awesome how detailed Emery gets about his thinking in the draft and his research on the roster.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 07:39 PM)
Bears asked permission to interview packers OC and former qb coach Tom Clements. Obviously has done some nice things, but he's 59 - seems a bit old to start your first gig as a HC

On top of that, isn't McCarthy calling the plays in GB?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Bears asked permission to interview packers OC and former qb coach Tom Clements. Obviously has done some nice things, but he's 59 - seems a bit old to start your first gig as a HC

I'd like Clements, I like the way the Packers spread the ball around and I'd like to see the Bears do that more. I know you've gotta feed the beast but I think the offense could flow much better if you spread the ball around. The Bears, esp. if Knox comes back, would have a damn good WR corp, use that.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787