southsider2k5

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Danks acknowledges surgery may be option

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com | 07/28/12 8:30 PM ET

ARLINGTON -- After throwing 30 pitches off the mound Friday, White Sox left-hander John Danks was able to come back and play catch on Saturday in his ongoing rehab for a left shoulder strain.

"It's about as good as expected," Danks said. "So it's a good thing I guess."

This slight overall improvement for Danks during his nine weeks since last taking the mound on May 19 against the Cubs at Wrigley Field has brought about a feeling of utter frustration for the veteran. But with just two months left in the season, time also has become a constraint.

If Danks and the White Sox decide that there's not enough time or enough improvement for him to help this season, then the focus quickly moves to 2013. That shift also could bring about surgery to fix his shoulder, as Danks acknowledged to MLB.com on Saturday.

"We have to start thinking about if it's looking like I can't help this year, which I'm not saying, there is a point where you have to start looking at the bigger picture and worrying about next year," Danks said. "We have to make a move. Something has got to happen to make it start feeling better.

"Obviously, I've said it before, I thought I would be back by now. It just hasn't progressed quite like we thought it would. I don't know if we are quite to the surgery part yet. Certainly there is a time where you got to do something.

"Trust me, it's no fun sitting here and if that's the best available option to get it fixed and be ready for Spring Training, then, you know, I'm all for it," Danks said. "No one wants to be cut on, but if what we are doing is not working, then you have to look at other options."

The new plan involving Danks is to reduce long toss and just focus on getting him ready to throw 60 feet, 6 inches and be able to pitch in games, hopefully by September. With strength an issue after his prolonged inactivity, Danks almost needs another Spring Training build-up that would include a number of Minor League rehab starts.

According to Danks, simulated games would also work if the Minor League season ran short. But what Danks wants to avoid is waiting too long and having some sort of potential procedure cut into a healthy start to the 2013 season.

"At this point, it's whatever will get me on the field," Danks said. "You hate to think of the worst-case scenarios but there definitely comes a point where we definitely have to start thinking about next year. If we don't start making some drastic improvement, we might have to do something.

"In a perfect world, we don't have to cross that bridge, but it is what it is. We are going on eight or nine weeks now and it hasn't gotten a ton better.

"Me being able to bounce back a little bit today might have helped," Danks said. "Definitely there is a point, whether it be mid-August or the first of September, whatever it is, where if I'm not doing a lot more, we might have to look into other options."

I still don't know how baseball teams got in the business of awarding pitchers these mega-buck deals. The evidence is that the modern-day pitcher is going to get hurt. These millionaire owners confuse me in throwing multi year megabuck deals at pitchers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
I still don't know how baseball teams got in the business of awarding pitchers these mega-buck deals. The evidence is that the modern-day pitcher is going to get hurt. These millionaire owners confuse me in throwing multi year megabuck deals at pitchers.

Danks's really wasn't a megabuck deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)

Think of them as politicians. They over spend and pass that on to the people.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)

Sometimes megabuck pitchers earn their paycheck.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)
Yeah yeah yeah, hindsight.

At the time the deal was signed, it was 100% the right move. Danks had never had a major injury, is a young left handed starter, and had thrown 900+ innings in just over 5 seasons. The guy probably would have been a $100+ million pitcher on the open market this year (without the shoulder injury obviously).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
At the time the deal was signed, it was 100% the right move. Danks had never had a major injury, is a young left handed starter, and had thrown 900+ innings in just over 5 seasons. The guy probably would have been a $100+ million pitcher on the open market this year (without the shoulder injury obviously).

Coming off a down season where he spent time on the DL and there wasn't much interest in him on the trade market makes the 5-year deal anything but 100% the right move at the time. It was a gamble that blew up pretty big.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Coming off a down season where he spent time on the DL and there wasn't much interest in him on the trade market makes the 5-year deal anything but 100% the right move at the time. It was a gamble that blew up pretty big.

I don't know about $100 million (someone else mentioned), but $70-85 at least.

Danks probably isn't quite a $100 million guy. You would have thought Lester and Romero were even better, and look how they've regressed.

Marty, what's the point?

You would have already traded Alexei Ramirez and Viciedo and you would be in the process of losing Greinke. Too bad Liriano and Greinke don't face each other next Friday, lol.

We could have a head-to-head showdown of ur choice versus mine. If Sale goes Wednesday, it's a possibility that Greinke faces Liriano, although they're more likely to make it Sale vs. Greinke and give Chris time to work through the dead arm in side sessions.

Where's PTAC with the recovery schedule if there is a surgery on a partially torn labrum?

Rauch had this, Santana (I think), Halladay going through it this year but no surgery. They've told him that he can't make it worse but he doesn't seem to want to push through it or pitch with anything resembling abnormal pain. Well, unless you're in his shoes, u can't know what it feels like, but he's got a guaranteed contract for 5 years so you'd think he would be showing more desire to come back and help us since he's only seen a pennant race in 2008 and 2010.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Sometimes megabuck pitchers earn their paycheck.

When? Even guys like Cliff Lee are inconsistent. I guess Buehrle is earning his so far, but his team is sucking so it doesn't matter too much.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Marty, what's the point?

You would have already traded Alexei Ramirez and Viciedo and you would be in the process of losing Greinke. Too bad Liriano and Greinke don't face each other next Friday, lol.

We could have a head-to-head showdown of ur choice versus mine. If Sale goes Wednesday, it's a possibility that Greinke faces Liriano, although they're more likely to make it Sale vs. Greinke and give Chris time to work through the dead arm in side sessions.

Why do you constantly point the finger at me? You have a history of saying one thing one day and the exact opposite a few days later.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Why do you constantly point the finger at me? You have a history of saying one thing one day and the exact opposite a few days later.

I said all along don't trade Viciedo, don't trade for Greinke, trade for a second/third tier starter who won't cost us Viciedo/Quintana/Reed.

The only time all season I've turned on KW is when they were mismanaging the Sale situation for 10 days.