Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
I don't know how the fanbase can ever trust the ownership in Miami ever again.

Maybe it's the other way around. The management was probably thinking "we got a new stadium, a new manager and spend alot of money on a team and no one showed up, so screw all of them" I don't think the management believes anyone will ever show up. Play poorly, draw even fewer fans and move in a few years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
Mark literally took a leap of faith based on Ozzie being in Miami. Now hes in f***ing Toronto.

Good hunting there I imagine. So that's something he can look forward to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
So can people understand why guys like FLoyd, Rios, Dunn, and Thornton don't have much trade value right now? Guys with big dollar contracts don't bring back big returns.

I'm gonna have to disagree here.

The Blue Jays have the best farm system in the league and the Marlins are getting their #2, #5, and #7 prospect in the deal to go along with Yunel Escobar who's a real good SS who's not yet paid the big bucks. Henderson Alvarez also has some potential moving out of the AL East

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Maybe it's the other way around. The management was probably thinking "we got a new stadium, a new manager and spend alot of money on a team and no one showed up, so screw all of them" I don't think the management believes anyone will ever show up. Play poorly, draw even fewer fans and move in a few years.

They drew over 2 million for a last place team, and Loria, who was making money hand over fist before taxpayers bought him a new stadium, made even more. Now I would guess, they will be lucky to draw half of that, and I really doubt they can move for a very long time. They have to have a long term lease. He is probably going to sell which is better for everyone. He only paid Buehrle $6 million, Reyes $10 million. This was probably the thought all along.

Edited by Dick Allen

How many of these guys do the Jays send off somewhere else for prospects? There is no way they can absorb that much payroll, right?

Just counting additions for 2013....

Johnson -$13.75 ($13.75 left)

Reyes - $10 ($96 left)

Buehrle - $11 ($52 left)

Buck - $6 ($6 left)

Bonifacio - $4? ($4? left)

That's nearly $45M in just 2013 payroll, and about $172M in overall money.

That's about $40M more in taxes those guys now have to pay.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Mark literally took a leap of faith based on Ozzie being in Miami. Now hes in f***ing Toronto.

Yeah that kind of blows for him. He is owed $48 million over the next 3 years though and was not getting close to that deal anywhere else. Also, Toronto got a few players that would never consider Toronto long term. It almost feels like a hostage situation. Such a weird trade. Toronto has a massive payroll now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Buehrle on another team next year after the Jays underachieve.

Yeah I can't see how the Marlins can survive in Miami after this. They're going to to be elsewhere in the near future. That organization is a joke. That being said, I'd love if Hahn got on the phone with them and inquired about Ricky Nolasco and Logan Morrison

Also, if Toronto was willing to swallow some of MB's salary, I'd take him back here in an instant.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)

They have a new stadium, which means they have to have a lease of some period of time. I think the thought is more like they have revenue sharing dollars, plus TV dollars coming in no matter what happens. They can put a tiny payroll on the field and make a huge profit. Oh yeah and f*** Miami.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 07:29 AM)
Yeah I can't see how the Marlins can survive in Miami after this. They're going to to be elsewhere in the near future. That organization is a joke. That being said, I'd love if Hahn got on the phone with them and inquired about Ricky Nolasco and Logan Morrison

Also, if Toronto was willing to swallow some of MB's salary, I'd take him back here in an instant.

The last thing in the world the Sox need is an expensive left handed pitcher.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

"If our ballpark could speak, its first words would be, 'Hola, Miami.’” -- Jeffrey Loria, Nov. 11, 2011, at unveiling of team's new colors.

"I would not use the term 'white flag.' I would not use 'fire sale.' These moves were not payroll motivated."MIA GM Larry Beinfest,July '12.

"With the team we are putting together, we expect there to be very few empty seats at this ballpark ever."-MIA exec David Samson,early 2012.

"We have a glorious new ballpark, and we want to be good, and (get) better. And we want to win. Period." -- Jeffrey Loria, Dec. 7, 2011.

Fish tanks aren't cheap, boys. I own an aquarium company and those tanks are costing them upwards of $1,000/week for cleanings, $50,000 for the tanks themselves. And once things go wrong, which it will being that they are in a terrible spot and ugly as f***, the costs go up and up. How can they afford all those contracts with aquariums to upkeep!

On a serious note, I think a lot of people are mad at this trade for the wrong reasons...

The trade wasn't really unfair. I like the Marlins return. It's pretty fair for a bunch of overpaid players. Unless the Jays win a world series, I don't see this trade being a winner for Toronto. I would love to get the Jays haul for the WSox, but at what cost? Lot of $ for injury prone talent and MB.

I don't feel bad for the players who signed big contracts and now have to move to Canada. They're called no-trade clauses, boys. You took extra millions so you didn't push for the no trade clause, oh wait now your taxes just went up a bunch. Rookie mistake by Reyes and MB, first time free agents signing away from their original teams.

I don't feel bad for Marlins fans. You have won as many World Series championships in the last 15 years as Boston, San Fran, St. Louis and only trail the yankees. You have been through this before, and you usually win these trades. The worst marlins trade was miguel cabrera obviously, but otherwise for the most part their fire sales have added cheap young talent. May have cost them a WS or two, but who knows.

I'm upset because the Marlins pulled a video game move. You need talent, you have a underperforming team. You go crazy in free agency only to trade them all the next/same year to bring in younger talent. It's a classic video game franchise move. I don't know if I've ever seen it this bad at the professional level. They even got the DBacks to take on $12 mil for 2 years of heath bell. I'm upset at the other GMs in AA and Towers for letting the marlins off the hook so easily and rewarding this tactic with top level prospects instead of lots of $ to make the contracts realistic and the marlins pay.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
Giancarlo Stanton most likely wont be traded, but he wont be back after he is able to sign elsewhere.

Anyone know the terms of the lease the Marlins signed for Marlins Park? I havent been able to find it anywhere.

There isn't much of a reason to trade him yet. Look for him to go after this season.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Fish tanks aren't cheap, boys. I own an aquarium company and those tanks are costing them upwards of $1,000/week for cleanings, $50,000 for the tanks themselves. And once things go wrong, which it will being that they are in a terrible spot and ugly as f***, the costs go up and up. How can they afford all those contracts with aquariums to upkeep!

On a serious note, I think a lot of people are mad at this trade for the wrong reasons...

The trade wasn't really unfair. I like the Marlins return. It's pretty fair for a bunch of overpaid players. Unless the Jays win a world series, I don't see this trade being a winner for Toronto. I would love to get the Jays haul for the WSox, but at what cost? Lot of $ for injury prone talent and MB.

I don't feel bad for the players who signed big contracts and now have to move to Canada. They're called no-trade clauses, boys. You took extra millions so you didn't push for the no trade clause, oh wait now your taxes just went up a bunch. Rookie mistake by Reyes and MB, first time free agents signing away from their original teams.

I don't feel bad for Marlins fans. You have won as many World Series championships in the last 15 years as Boston, San Fran, St. Louis and only trail the yankees. You have been through this before, and you usually win these trades. The worst marlins trade was miguel cabrera obviously, but otherwise for the most part their fire sales have added cheap young talent. May have cost them a WS or two, but who knows.

I'm upset because the Marlins pulled a video game move. You need talent, you have a underperforming team. You go crazy in free agency only to trade them all the next/same year to bring in younger talent. It's a classic video game franchise move. I don't know if I've ever seen it this bad at the professional level. They even got the DBacks to take on $12 mil for 2 years of heath bell. I'm upset at the other GMs in AA and Towers for letting the marlins off the hook so easily and rewarding this tactic with top level prospects instead of lots of $ to make the contracts realistic and the marlins pay.

I agree with about 95% of what you said. The biggest issue here is that the Marlins owners are taking Miami & the taxpayers behind the woodshed. They secured public funding to help build their stadium, but after just one year they completely blow up the payroll. They will still be making profits though, no doubt about that.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
I'm gonna have to disagree here.

The Blue Jays have the best farm system in the league and the Marlins are getting their #2, #5, and #7 prospect in the deal to go along with Yunel Escobar who's a real good SS who's not yet paid the big bucks. Henderson Alvarez also has some potential moving out of the AL East

yeah, but the marlins were dumping a TON of money.....movin one or two high dollar guys will NOT get a decent haul.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 05:27 AM)
They drew over 2 million for a last place team, and Loria, who was making money hand over fist before taxpayers bought him a new stadium, made even more. Now I would guess, they will be lucky to draw half of that, and I really doubt they can move for a very long time. They have to have a long term lease. He is probably going to sell which is better for everyone. He only paid Buehrle $6 million, Reyes $10 million. This was probably the thought all along.
the marlins were not making a lot of money in Joe Robbe Stadium. The bulk of the Marlins game revenue went towards the Dolphins. They made almost nothing in the 03 WS run.

Going to the new stadium, they keep virtually all revenues from parking, concessions, and suites. So even though they have a s*** lineup, they are making a ton of profit NOW.