Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
How would you rate hid mound presence? Man, I love a low WHIP.

Very solid. Nothing bothered him. Gets in a good rhythm. Good curveball. Command is plus.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)
Says he was in high A and he's 25 so a little old for that league. I wonder if they start him in AAA next year. Hayes retweeted the Rays beat writer and the writer also said it involves another player and that the deal should be finalized tomorrow

He turns 25 in 5 days. Started the season at Low-A Bowling Green, dominated, and then pitched very well in the Florida State League. He's already pretty polished, but it says a lot that (from what I recall) he was the first of the stud pitching prospects that Bowling Green had get promoted shortly after the MWL All-Star Break, and TB really takes their time with their arms.

HIGHLY doubtful he starts in Charlotte. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at WS and possibly be a quick mover next season.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
He's a non-prospect. Too old for the level he was pitching at to not strike many guys out.

Ok, thanks. Totally forgot strikeouts were the only way to gauge success. I'll just forget the times I watched him pitch.

Tampa took money off our hands, Crain didn't throw a single pitch, and they give us a young lefty. Sorry for being moderately pleased. I'll move along.

Considering I think we all expected to get no return at all for Crain, I think Bierman PLUS someone else is a very good trade in the end for us.

I don't see a single thing about Bierman's numbers (outside of him being 24 in A-ball) that look bad to me. Sure, he isn't striking out 9 guys per 9 like you'd like to see, but when your control is that good, 5 or 6 K/9 turns in to a 3+ K/BB ratio, which is something you'd really want.

Considering I think we all expected to get no return at all for Crain, I think Bierman PLUS someone else is a very good trade in the end for us.

I don't see a single thing about Bierman's numbers (outside of him being 24 in A-ball) that look bad to me. Sure, he isn't striking out 9 guys per 9 like you'd like to see, but when your control is that good, 5 or 6 K/9 turns in to a 3+ K/BB ratio, which is something you'd really want.

[/quote.

Greg was right. We got a former 10th round pick for Crain.....

I've seen conflicting reports of whether or not the final player involved is coming TO the Sox, or going FROM the Sox. We supposedly will find out today.

FS will get something up when we have both names.

Any return for Crain is good, really. 25 year old control master in A/A+, former 10th round pick... fringe guy at best, but still good to add him to the system. I know nothing about his stuff at this point.

It should be noted, everyone has a different definition of "prospect". To me, any player in the minors getting starting innings/games, who isn't multiple years older than level average... is a prospect. They are a prospect because those players have SOME prospect of becoming major leaguers. Guys who are minor league bench players, or 27 year olds in A ball, or ringers who move system to system each year, etc. - those are who I'd call non-prospects.

But others have different definitions. It is subjective.

So the Sox are basically going to be getting guys that are going to be coming up on their Rule V eligibility soon that the Rays didn't have in the future plans. It's still damn decent of them considering Crain never threw a pitch for them. This is a good way to create and harbor relationships with other teams.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
Crain seems like a guy if healthy that the Rays would go after to sign in the offseason which could have been part of their interest.

They can do that anyway though. He's not getting a $13 million qualifying offer so he's not going to bring them a draft pick or anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
He could also be a guy the Sox look to bring back. Remember we have tons of payroll.

Could, but honestly I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I like some of the young, cheap pen arms we have in play at this point. Having Crain certainly could be helpful, but I'd only do it on a cheap deal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Could, but honestly I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I like some of the young, cheap pen arms we have in play at this point. Having Crain certainly could be helpful, but I'd only do it on a cheap deal.

I think there is a real need there. All we had to do was see Ramon Troncoso to see that. Is it the biggest need? No, but it also won't be a huge contract either, like is being talked about for some other spots of need.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
I think there is a real need there. All we had to do was see Ramon Troncoso to see that. Is it the biggest need? No, but it also won't be a huge contract either, like is being talked about for some other spots of need.

I definitely would like to see at least one experienced arm brought into that bullpen just since there are so many kids in it. That said, if Petricka, Webb, and Jones are the RH arms, a veteran lefty might be a better fit. Also worth noting that the Sox might well pick up the option on Lindstrom and there's the veteran arm.

Crain wouldn't be a bad option. I think Petricka needs more work in AAA. Webb can come up because he has stupid stuff and was filthy in the minors this year, but Petricka had a WHIP of 1.37 at AA, 1.28 for the year in the minors, and it was about 1.55 in the majors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
I definitely would like to see at least one experienced arm brought into that bullpen just since there are so many kids in it. That said, if Petricka, Webb, and Jones are the RH arms, a veteran lefty might be a better fit. Also worth noting that the Sox might well pick up the option on Lindstrom and there's the veteran arm.

All three of those guys are in much better spots to succeed if there is a veteran for the 8th inning to push those guys back into the 6th and 7th.

I also do not see Lindstrom's option getting picked up. $4 million is pretty stiff.

If the Sox run a bullpen of Reed, Crain, Jones, Lindstrom, Webb, Veal, and Leesman, with Petricka in AAA as the first righty called up, we'd be happy (with the lefties here just as well being random names because they could bring in any number of other lefties too).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
Has anyone heard any update on Crain? Seems to me if his shoulder still wouldn't permit him to pitch by the end of the season, he may have a serious issue going on in there.

Yeah, he never sounded to concerned in the interviews I saw during the year, but shoulder problems that keep you out that long often end up being career enders. I wonder if the silence isn't a bad sign, since he's up for a contract.