Hey! There's a Sox game on now! 7/27/13

Brian

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
No, I disagree with you, Jake. Less than two outs and you freeze on a liner. Rios went down the line as soon as it was hit and took himself out of the play.

That is baseball 101, they teach you that in t ball

I don't think they had T Ball when Alex was growing up. ;)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
What you call trolling I call reacting with honest emotion (anger). It was obvious the guy was going to dive. By diving, no matter what happens (ball landing in glove or hitting ground) Rios scores if he tags up. Seriously, listen to the Royals' announcers call of the play. Hudler busted out laughing and said something like. 'what more can they do (to help KC)?" I am in favor of keeping Robin after he showed he was a leader in disciplining Rios, but how many of these type games can he take before just resigning in the offseason??

Completely missed the last part of my comment...convenient. At this point I really hope Rios isnt traded because I cant wait to see what else your going to pull out of your ass to try and degrade him some more.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
Side note: since when was "freeze on a liner" extended to line drives that are clearly going to the outfield?

It clearly would have helped, you have to admit.

I'm not gonna get into a long argument over it, 2013 is in a casket underground. No use getting upset over an difference of opinion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
What you call trolling I call reacting with honest emotion (anger). It was obvious the guy was going to dive. By diving, no matter what happens (ball landing in glove or hitting ground) Rios scores if he tags up. Seriously, listen to the Royals' announcers call of the play. Hudler busted out laughing and said something like. 'what more can they do (to help KC)?" I am in favor of keeping Robin after he showed he was a leader in disciplining Rios, but how many of these type games can he take before just resigning in the offseason??

Greg, you just hate Rios and spaz anytime you can. Get over it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
Side note: since when was "freeze on a liner" extended to line drives that are clearly going to the outfield?

Actually he should ve said if the ball is in the air to the outfield with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs.I see it as Rios scores no matter what if he had just stayed at 3rd and immediately tagged or if the ball had dropped. The only way you score going half way down the line is if it drops. You can score 2 ways if it drops or caught by staying at 3rd.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
I just disagree on this. I just don't see why a contending team would want to take on Jose Guillen Rios unless the Sox pay almost all of his contract.

Jose Guillen was traded 3 times as a major leaguer. Just sayin'.

Somebody at work made an interesting point. They said it looked like Paulie swung at ball four and it coulda been bases loaded and nobody out. Interesting take from Royals' fans IMO.

But I calmly polled everybody here and THEY ALL said Rios made the wrong call and he'd have scored easily whether the ball was caught or fell for a hit had he simply tagged up like I was taught to do in Little League.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:35 PM)
Somebody at work made an interesting point. They said it looked like Paulie swung at ball four and it coulda been bases loaded and nobody out. Interesting take from Royals' fans IMO.

But I calmly polled everybody here and THEY ALL said Rios made the wrong call and he'd have scored easily whether the ball was caught or fell for a hit had he simply tagged up like I was taught to do in Little League.

He would have for sure. He also might have if he went back to 3rd when the RF started to dive. Worst case scenerio if he tagged up, and the ball dropped and he couldn't score , which tonight with the guy on the ground he scores easily either way, would have been bases loaded one out instead of 2 out man on 3rd. It was a dumb display.

I know there are some big Rios apologists on here, but if it was their job to scout him for another team and it was their reputation and job on the line, how do you ignore the loafing? How do you ignore sliding into second on a base hit on a hit and run because the SS is deeked you? How many fall for that? How do you ignore the less than .700 OPS the last 2 months? How do you ignore tonight's gaffe?

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
Kind of agree and I feel real bad for Sale but I want this team to lose. That's how bad they are and it infuriates me that I feel this way, but I WANT them to lose. In all my years, I've never felt this way.

Sometimes I think I want them to lose, and that it doesn't matter and losing might help in the long run, but tonight proved to me I'm not yet capable of feeling that way. When Rios f***ed up, I first laughed then freaked out. I still want the good guys to win badly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 02:47 AM)
He would have for sure. He also might have if he went back to 3rd when the RF started to dive. Worst case scenerio if he tagged up, and the ball dropped and he couldn't score , which tonight with the guy on the ground he scores easily either way, would have been bases loaded one out instead of 2 out man on 3rd. It was a dumb display.

I know there are some big Rios apologists on here, but if it was their job to scout him for another team and it was their reputation and job on the line, how do you ignore the loafing? How do you ignore sliding into second on a base hit on a hit and run because the SS is deeked you? How many fall for that? How do you ignore the less than .700 OPS the last 2 months? How do you ignore tonight's gaffe?

As much as people hate me, they should love Dick Allen. How can you not love this post and agree with it 100 percent?? Dick Allen for MVP of the board. Great post IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 04:11 AM)
Rios postgame comment:

To tell you the truth, I don't think there is much I could have done .

Holland's postgame comment:

I don't know what Rios was thinking but we got lucky there.

I give him credit for talking to the media apparently and not hiding in the food room, but I disagree with his sentiment. Kudos to Holland if he had the balls to say that about an opposing player.

I wish Mariotti had not been such a tool. We could use a columnist like him in town who bashes people. Can you imagine the material he woulda had to work with the last couple years? I realize he's pathetic as far as his personal life, but we could use some loudmouth columnist who bashes players/managers, etc.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
I wish Mariotti had not been such a tool. We could use a columnist like him in town who bashes people. Can you imagine the material he woulda had to work with the last couple years? I realize he's pathetic as far as his personal life, but we could use some loudmouth columnist who bashes players/managers, etc.

He's a pathetic person and was a coward of a sports writer as well.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
He's a pathetic person and was a coward of a sports writer as well.

Ding Ding Ding!

Right up there with Mike North for people in the Chicago sports media that I hate (or hated). Probably hated North more though.

The way Alex Rios has been treated makes me really dislike some Sox fans. I was born and raised south of Madison. Some of the s*** I read really pisses me off. Great site. Really appreciate some of the posters, but the mouth breathers f***jng suck. They were probably the same b****es calling Derrick Rose a p****. Chicago tough, right?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 04:46 AM)
The way Alex Rios has been treated makes me really dislike some Sox fans. I was born and raised south of Madison. Some of the s*** I read really pisses me off. Great site. Really appreciate some of the posters, but the mouth breathers f***jng suck. They were probably the same b****es calling Derrick Rose a p****. Chicago tough, right?

Here's the Royals' announcers take on Rios' mistake. They both played MLB and both said Rios f***ed up.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameda...&mode=video

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 04:46 AM)

The Rios haters are just mad at the way he butchered that play tonight. Some of us get mad when guys are paid as much money as he is to consistently make dumb mistakes.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 10:46 PM)

I don't get it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
That play was a little tougher than we're making it seem. If he stays at third and the ball hits the ground (especially with no dive), he can't score. He basically had to decide in mid-air if it was more likely to be caught or not caught. He thought it wouldn't be caught, because of course it shouldn't have been.

Good call. We have the benefit of watching from multiple camera views.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
Rios got nailed pretty good on Twitter tonight. Just did a search. People ridiculing him pretty badly.

Because we all know the general public is made up of brilliant well educated respectful people.

Count me in the group that thinks rios would have been dead if he waited to tag and the ball drops in front of a not diving lough. Whatever another step closer to a higher draft pick. At least we got to see sale throw a gem.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 02:30 AM)
Because we all know the general public is made up of brilliant well educated respectful people.

Count me in the group that thinks rios would have been dead if he waited to tag and the ball drops in front of a not diving lough. Whatever another step closer to a higher draft pick. At least we got to see sale throw a gem.

I'm with you there, Also what are we going to do when we have the #1 selection and pick up Carlos Rodon and he blows through the system (wishful thinking) maybe by then Danks will be back to his old 3WAR self and we can move him ala Peavy this deadline/offseason.