2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
However, the signing of Jackson is one the team appears to regret, as Epstein told the Chicago Sun-Times:

"We got a little ahead of ourselves. We’re not perfect. We didn’t fully understand the scope of our situation, the overall situation with the timing of our business plan, the timing of our facilities and the timing of our baseball plan."

www.sbnation.com

What a pile of garbage from Theo. I hope Jackson wins 20 games for them next year and they finish last.

Edited by Marty34

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Tribune column today and the author was on the Cubs season ticket waiting list. He checked his number in September and saw he was in the 18,000s. He got the call about availability the other day. The Cubs rep said the expect to go through over 20k on the waiting list this year. Even the CuBs fans get sick of losing. Theo better be right, and they better have a stable of studs or they just pissed away an almost unreal situation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
There is a Tribune column today and the author was on the Cubs season ticket waiting list. He checked his number in September and saw he was in the 18,000s. He got the call about availability the other day. The Cubs rep said the expect to go through over 20k on the waiting list this year. Even the CuBs fans get sick of losing. Theo better be right, and they better have a stable of studs or they just pissed away an almost unreal situation.

I wonder how many of those were real people., and how many were scalpers.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
I thought the Cubs were idiots for not hiring Martinez...but what do I know. Maybe he's a horrible interview? Renteria is just keeping the seat warm for somebody else tho...

They didn't hire Martinez because everyone was afraid for their wives. :D

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Murphy's keeping it classy

1386448775861.jpg

Absolutely 100% poor taste.

Saw this on twitter:

David Haugh ‏@DavidHaugh 41m

The apology RT @murphysbleacher: @PWSullivan This awful marquee has been taken down. We apologize for actions of our staff to whole country

At least they got their heads out of their asses and fixed their mistake.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Never Forget....

how easily offended some are over a one-day bar promotion. Too soon????

Would you you say "Help us remember 9/11 with shots of Fireball" ?

It's a classless move. 3,649 people were killed at Pearl Harbor. Making a joke about it is absolutely terrible.

The first stanza says it all and this is the cubs beat writer.

"Two days into the winter meetings, and the Cubs pulled off an improbable feat.

They are actually in worse shape than when they started."----Chicago Sun times, 12/11/2013

Another nugget,

That’s a far cry from the vision Epstein expressed last week when he said the Cubs will be “dictating all those big moves” instead of watching and waiting for prospects to hit.---Chicago Sun-Times, 12/11/2013

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/24302219-41...-drying-up.html

If the Cubs have another big losing season(which looks very possible), the natives will become very restless. When he was hired, I told myself that Theo is going to have to start seeing results in year 3 otherwise things will get ugly.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
If the Cubs have another big losing season(which looks very possible), the natives will become very restless. When he was hired, I told myself that Theo is going to have to start seeing results in year 3 otherwise things will get ugly.

but but but.... 100 years of WRIGLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruggiano was terrible last year and is going to be 32 next year. His amazing 2012 was aided by a .401 BABIP. That came crashing down last year, down to .260. He's career BABIP is .310, so I think you can probably expect his career splits - .251/.315/.432. And again, he's 32 and the Marlins are terrible, so if they can get a guy in Bogusevic who is younger in general, they may as well try it. I like Bogusevic's power too.

Frankly, I think it's just a fair trade, maybe slightly favoring the Marlins. It's nice for the Cubs because they picked up Bogusevic for nothing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Ruggiano was terrible last year and is going to be 32 next year. His amazing 2012 was aided by a .401 BABIP. That came crashing down last year, down to .260. He's career BABIP is .310, so I think you can probably expect his career splits - .251/.315/.432. And again, he's 32 and the Marlins are terrible, so if they can get a guy in Bogusevic who is younger in general, they may as well try it. I like Bogusevic's power too.

Frankly, I think it's just a fair trade, maybe slightly favoring the Marlins. It's nice for the Cubs because they picked up Bogusevic for nothing.

Ruggiano is 32? I had no idea, figured he was mid 20s. I retract my earlier statement.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
Neither of these guys are corner stones or starters for years so in my mind age doesn't really factor. An instance where they were 35 & up would be different. It's really, what is the better option, 4 years of Bogusevic or 3 years Ruggiano? Ruggiano has shown to be the option much more likely to provide a positive contribution. Especially if used properly, Ruggiano could be great as a 4th OFer murdering LF handed pitching. He has an .834 career OPS against LHP. And that's including his 3 mediocre years with Tampa Bay.

As of now, Cubs win this trade easily. He'll probably have a lot better time hitting at Wrigley May-September rather than Miami's Met-Life Stadium.

Imagine if the White Sox added him...someone would undoubtedly be saying he's not going to be part of the next White Sox playoff team.

He's a great bench addition for a playoff team, but he's not an everyday player.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
The first stanza says it all and this is the cubs beat writer.

"Two days into the winter meetings, and the Cubs pulled off an improbable feat.

They are actually in worse shape than when they started."----Chicago Sun times, 12/11/2013

Another nugget,

That's a far cry from the vision Epstein expressed last week when he said the Cubs will be "dictating all those big moves" instead of watching and waiting for prospects to hit.---Chicago Sun-Times, 12/11/2013

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/24302219-41...-drying-up.html

Interesting about the new t.v. contract.

It can't be for Comcast, because that one expires in 2019 (along with the White Sox deal). WGN?

When do the White Sox come up for a new deal with WGN?