Is there a market for Dunn

TheFutureIsNear

Provided we eat some $, do you think there would a team willing to trade for Dunn? Trust me, I'm no fan of Dunn at this point, but is 34 HR's enough to entice an AL team? With no obligation past this year and a team only having to pay $10-12M for 30+ HR's I think it could be a real possibility. Could get a team to bite if they strike out on 1 of the few sluggers available in FA. Not saying we could get a top 100 prospect or anything, but a couple more young talented guys in the farm system would be nice.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
Provided we eat some $, do you think there would a team willing to trade for Dunn? Trust me, I'm no fan of Dunn at this point, but is 34 HR's enough to entice an AL team? With no obligation past this year and a team only having to pay $10-12M for 30+ HR's I think it could be a real possibility. Could get a team to bite if they strike out on 1 of the few sluggers available in FA. Not saying we could get a top 100 prospect or anything, but a couple more young talented guys in the farm system would be nice.

I don't think the problem is getting a team to take him on for, say, half his remaining contract, but rather I think people are not sure that Jerry would actually approve such a deal. Sox have historically stayed away from the "Just take him and we will eat some money" type of deals.

I'm sure some team would take Dunn if the sox paid half his salary but they wouldn't give a valuable prospect back.

So if the White Sox have to send $7 million along to trade Dunn and they don't get anything of large value back, why should they move him? If they're paying for him either way they may as well get the 30 HR in their lineup and see if either they remember how to catch the ball and win some games or get a decent offer at the deadline.

The only reason why they'd trade him for a pittance and not get anything back is of someone in the minors was demanding at bats at his position...but he's a DH and there's no DH pushing him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 11:04 PM)
I'm sure some team would take Dunn if the sox paid half his salary but they wouldn't give a valuable prospect back.

So if the White Sox have to send $7 million along to trade Dunn and they don't get anything of large value back, why should they move him? If they're paying for him either way they may as well get the 30 HR in their lineup and see if either they remember how to catch the ball and win some games or get a decent offer at the deadline.

The only reason why they'd trade him for a pittance and not get anything back is of someone in the minors was demanding at bats at his position...but he's a DH and there's no DH pushing him.

I was thinking we could pay more like $5M of his salary and get a couple of decent prospects in return. Again, I know any top prospect is unrealistic, but a couple of 20/21 year olds with potential wouldn't be worth it? Unless you think the offer would be significantly better at the deadline.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
I'd rather just keep Dunn. It's the last year on his contract so it doesn't hurt any future rebuilding plans.

This.

I keep sounding like a broken record but I'll say it again. Our resident insider, bucket, has said the Sox don't plan on "punting in 2014" and I think moving Dunn for scraps before the season begins is doing just that. Perhaps at the deadline they might wanna move him, but right I'd rather just keep him.

Don't forget all the talk about Dunn being one of the worst hitters in baseball history whenever it was, 2 or 3 years ago when he was hitting .050 or some such atrocity. No team can afford to take on Dunn. He'd be a PR nightmare. Remember, there even HAVE been stories written a couple times on whether he'd retire if he kept going that bad. Dunn had to address the possibility of just quitting. Nobody's going to take on that type of hitting trainwreck unless Sox pay almost the entire salary, which Jerry won't do obviously.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
Don't forget all the talk about Dunn being one of the worst hitters in baseball history whenever it was, 2 or 3 years ago when he was hitting .050 or some such atrocity. No team can afford to take on Dunn. He'd be a PR nightmare. Remember, there even HAVE been stories written a couple times on whether he'd retire if he kept going that bad. Dunn had to address the possibility of just quitting. Nobody's going to take on that type of hitting trainwreck unless Sox pay almost the entire salary, which Jerry won't do obviously.

All of your posts are boring, predictable and full of outlandish assumptions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)

Dunn is the poster boy of this awful offense. With all the money flying around MLB currently even $10M paid to get rid of him is worth it because it shows a fresh start. Sox fans have had enough of Dunn.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Dunn is the poster boy of this awful offense. With all the money flying around MLB currently even $10M paid to get rid of him is worth it because it shows a fresh start. Sox fans have had enough of Dunn.

Im 50/50 on this topic. I think Dunn has been a major disappointment and I would not mind seeing him dealt. However, he is in a contract season. If he gets off to a 2012 type start, we may be in a great situation next year.

I'm not a huge Dunn fan by any means, but he's simply not blocking anyone at the moment and is still a useful player. Now, in the unlikely event a young, left-handed 1B/DH type with some upside gets non-tendered then I'd reconsider a potential Dunn move. Until then, there is really no upside to dumping Adam.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Nobody would be willing to drop Dunn for a couple of B level prospects and bring PK back to DH? Provided he wants to of course.

If you wanna go for another top 3 pick then sure, go for it.

Only way I'm giving up Dunn is if they get a LH middle of the line bat in here. Even then I might not do it.

Paul Konerko offered close to nothing against RH pitching, which is what the Sox predominantly face. Dunn had an OPS nearly 200 points higher than PK against RHers.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
If you wanna go for another top 3 pick then sure, go for it.

Only way I'm giving up Dunn is if they get a LH middle of the line bat in here. Even then I might not do it.

Paul Konerko offered close to nothing against RH pitching, which is what the Sox predominantly face. Dunn had an OPS nearly 200 points higher than PK against RHers.

What are your expectations for the 2014?