White Sox claim P Hector Noesi off waivers

GGajewski18

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many pitchers has Cooper actually "fixed"?? Like... 2? The rest were guys who were already pretty good.

I remember when the Sox traded for Edwin Jackson, the Sox were saying Cooper could tell he was tipping his pitches and knew how to fix him. He was good for a half season and went back to total suck.

I hope Noesi can be at least decent. But the odds of that are nearly zero.

Love this particular type of move for this particular type of team (i.e., a team with budget issues who happen to have a unified franchise pitching philosophy with a good track record of success).

Any time you can bring in a big arm (a 93-95 mph type) with decent control -- Noesi qualifies both ways -- bring him in and see if your in-house expertise can teach him a cutter and/or change, or possibly refine his mechanics. Sometimes the differences between two good arms is little more than minor differences in repertoire, repeatability of mechanics/pitches, and, of course, the confidence that comes with having success.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I have no problem with the White Sox being the Statue of Liberty for wayward pitchers. Bring 'em all in. Give us first shot at 'em. Sure, 75%+ won't amount to much, but if you can recycle junk into value once a year, you've just bought yourself a lot of extra spending money for use in other ways.

P.S. Obviously I'm being somewhat hyperbolic. Don't bring 'em ALL in. But absolutely bring many in. It's not as if our system is so deep with homegrown talent that we're eliminating opportunity for our own.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
How many pitchers has Cooper actually "fixed"?? Like... 2? The rest were guys who were already pretty good.

I remember when the Sox traded for Edwin Jackson, the Sox were saying Cooper could tell he was tipping his pitches and knew how to fix him. He was good for a half season and went back to total suck.

Jackson's best year of his career was the time he spent with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)

Jackson was alright with us. Do you mean Liriano?

but to answer your question, Matt Thorton, Gavin Floyd, Estefan Loaiza, and Jose Contreras come to mind. I'm sure there's more.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Jackson was alright with us. Do you mean Liriano?

but to answer your question, Matt Thorton, Gavin Floyd, Estefan Loaiza, and Jose Contreras come to mind. I'm sure there's more.

It is also missing on guys that came through the system and succeeded.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)

Edwin Jackson with the White Sox - 30 GS, 196.2 IP, 3.66 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 8 K/9, 2.6 BB/9

He was really good with the Sox.

I remember his name being tossed around in a potential trade a few years ago with the Yanks. Sounded like the Sox really liked him then as a guy that could be a high leverage reliever. I think he is a similar situation to Cleto, good arm, but just needs to figure out how to use it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
I remember his name being tossed around in a potential trade a few years ago with the Yanks. Sounded like the Sox really liked him then as a guy that could be a high leverage reliever. I think he is a similar situation to Cleto, good arm, but just needs to figure out how to use it.

Noesi was starting at the time. I wanted him as part of the package in the rumors for John Danks at the time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
He also was good with the Tigers, but he was a lot better with the Sox than most realize.

I think most people watch Edwin Jackson pitch and, just by looking at his stuff, wonder why he isn't a top of the rotation starter, and then they see a pitcher who doesn't have great command of his stuff, which is inherently frustrating as a fan. The numbers obviously do not lie, but I recall watching Edwin Jackson and thinking he walked a hell of a lot more batters than he actually did.

I've said it before, but he's a guy I wouldn't mind the Sox getting from the Cubs if they ate about 1/3 to 1/2 of his remaining deal. His stuff has deteriorated just a small amount, so the results could certainly still be there. He's due $22 in '15 and '16, and so if the Cubs ate $8-10 million of that deal, he could be a really nice buy low target for the Sox.

Not advocating it per se, but I wouldn't be upset if they did make a move like that.

Danks pre-injury, especially 2008-2010

Thornton

Edwin Jackson

Humber for one unexpectedly good season before regression

all the magical reliever seasons in 2005 (Hermanson, Cotts, Politte)

Gavin Floyd

Loiaza

Jose Contreras

Jon Garland became a much better pitcher from the time he was a 20 year old rookie

JJ Putz had a great bounceback season his one year here

Mark Buehrle

Jose Quintana

Bobby Jenks

Sergio Santos

Keith Foulke

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 08:17 PM)
Danks pre-injury, especially 2008-2010

Thornton

Edwin Jackson

Humber for one unexpectedly good season before regression

all the magical reliever seasons in 2005 (Hermanson, Cotts, Politte)

Gavin Floyd

Loiaza

Jose Contreras

Jon Garland became a much better pitcher from the time he was a 20 year old rookie

JJ Putz had a great bounceback season his one year here

Mark Buehrle

Jose Quintana

Bobby Jenks

Sergio Santos

Keith Foulke

Right there shows a big problem right now...no names from the past two years.