Some phrases need official retiring.

Jerksticks

Not sure where to put this mods.

Can we start a discussion about retiring certain Soxtalk dead-horses; phrases that make one cringe upon reading. I can think of 3:

1. The whole "Hell, I'll drive him to the airport" when talking about one of our untradeable pieces.

2. Throwing s*** at the wall and some percentage of it sticking. We get it, it's clever. But it's done. Indiana, let it go.

3. Trading somebody for an old bag of balls or an old anything. This might be one of the first things ever said on the Internet.

There have to be countless others. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A newer one that really grates on me is "his hit tool is off the charts".

Who the hell came up with hit tool? It also bothers me when people use the term for a potential draft pick they have never seen play.

To me a hit tool would be a bat.

The phrase reminds me of ESPN basketball guys using the term "score the ball", apparently in an effort to sound more intelligent than anyone else.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
A newer one that really grates on me is "his hit tool really projects".

Who the hell came up with hit tool? It also bothers me when people use the term for a potential draft pick they have never seen play.

To me a hit tool would be a bat.

I've honestly never heard of the phrase "hit tool", but I already hope I never hear it again.

This is probably just a personal thing, but it makes no sense to refer to a sports team as WE.

"glad we won today."

"That trade we made last week was awesome."

"Wish we would steal more."

You aren't on the team. You don't have a say in team transactions. You aren't coaching. Stop saying WE in reference to your favorite sports team.

I'm sure I've done it, but I try to correct it when I catch myself saying it.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
This is probably just a personal thing, but it makes no sense to refer to a sports team as WE.

"glad we won today."

You aren't on the team. You don't have a say in team transactions. You aren't coaching. Stop saying WE in reference to your favorite sports team.

This times 1 billion

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
I'd really like to not hear "El Canon" this weekend, it just doesn't work.

Es mal.

Definitely need something else.

IMO the Cannon is an extension of the missle/Tank stuff but since Abreu is twice the player Alexei is and 50times the player Viciedo is I don't hink his nickname should be associated with those guys.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)

"glad we won today."

I spend money on merchandise, I spend money to attend games, I invest time to watch on TV. I can say we all I want. Im invested in my favorite teams, there is nothing wrong with using "we" in reference.