Samardzija/Hammel Traded to A's

Heads22

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the Cubs is are they really sure they can rely on Arrieta going forward? Edwin Jackson's basically the equivalent of John Danks for them, but definitely not much trade value to another team at this point.

So if they don't have the cojones or money to go after Lester, Scherzer, Shields...then they're going to have to continue to make trades for Top 50-75 MILB pitching prospects, which is always an unsure thing, even when you're trading away guys with the talent of Miguel Cabrera (Marlins didn't get anything out of Maybin or A.Miller) or any of the secondary offensive players in their system after Bryant/Baez/Castro/Rizzo.

And do they actually have the ability to PAY Price? Sure, they have the offensive pieces to make that deal, and they could probably get someone useful in Zobrist back as well, but then they have to have the will to pay them $200-225 million combined to keep them in Chicago.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
This can't be overstated. There's really no mystery to it. If every team could simply take every decent major league player they had and "flip them" at the deadline, they'd have a lot of good prospects, too -- and an awful lot of high draft picks as well. Then add the minor league players that Hendry signed before he left (for which he'll never receive credit because the media is TheoJed brainwashed) -- guys like Baez and Alcantara -- give it 3 years and . . . yes, you have a deep farm system. But that only happens when you can still draw, and they can.

The Astros don't draw. The Rays Royals and Pitt were playing in front of no one when they were trading away all of their major leaguers.

But the Cubs never have gone completely on the cheap like those teams did, thanks as you said, to their attendance. Still they will have to find some front line pitching and that's not so easy. They've done well signing Feldman and Maholm and flipping them, but those 2 are 5th starters on good teams.

I think it was, overall, a good move for them. For one thing, Shark is almost 30 - kind of a late bloomer.

I would have also thought that the As could have gotten Price for that price.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:34 PM)
The Astros don't draw. The Rays Royals and Pitt were playing in front of no one when they were trading away all of their major leaguers.

But the Cubs never have gone completely on the cheap like those teams did, thanks as you said, to their attendance. Still they will have to find some front line pitching and that's not so easy. They've done well signing Feldman and Maholm and flipping them, but those 2 are 5th starters on good teams.

I think it was, overall, a good move for them. For one thing, Shark is almost 30 - kind of a late bloomer.

I would have also thought that the As could have gotten Price for that price.

All things considered, the Astros have done fairly well with attendance, considering how bad they've been.

I wouldn't lump them in with those other three teams, in terms of comparison.

Its just been their local/regional t.v. deal and tv ratings that have been terrible. And part of that's related to the Rockets not being as competitive or interesting, with Yao Ming retired.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-032529889.html

So now who do the Cubs trade? Most likely, they'll try to flip Russell for pitching, and keep Castro at SS and Baez for 2B. Alcantara or whatever his name is also is expendable.

Is Bryant back to 3B or still being ticketed for LF?

The Cubs have another problem, in the sense that they can't wait another 2-3 years for Soler and Almora, and yet trading for veteran/win now/all-in pieces for CF and RF isn't logical either until they have their starting rotation back to competitiveness.

Then catching...and where Schwarber would possibly fit into the equation with Rizzo/Bryant already blocking him?

I love all the hate in this thread haha. What an excellent trade by the Cubs. When you can get an Addison Russell for guys that won't be in the plans moving forward, it's just an excellent move. I can't believe Oakland moved him but they are probably the AL favorites now. McKinney is a nice get too. The Cubs easily have the #1 farm system in baseball.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
We don't have as many holes either. The Sox are in pretty good shape and also will have money to spend.

There's still a lot of holes and potential holes depending on who you trade and of course who you get back. 1 or 2 starting pitchers, DH, or LH power bat, LF, 2nd base, SS, C . I think the talent we have or give up is only likely to fill one hole while creating another. I would consider an untested rookie a hole though until proven otherwise.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
I love all the hate in this thread haha. What an excellent trade by the Cubs. When you can get an Addison Russell for guys that won't be in the plans moving forward, it's just an excellent move. I can't believe Oakland moved him but they are probably the AL favorites now. McKinney is a nice get too. The Cubs easily have the #1 farm system in baseball.

If your goal is to have the #1farm system, it's agood trade. If your goal is to have an mlb pitching staff, not so much.

It is funny when the Sox acquire a prospect rated in the 70-95 range it is awesome, but when the Cubs get a top 15 guy, it is just dumb. Theo is a dope, but could you imagine what a genius Hahn would be if he had 3 of the top 15 and 6 of the top 41 in the Sox minor league system?

Samardz has never finished a season as a starter with an ERA lower than 3.81. He is 29. He wants more than $100 million.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 04:55 AM)
It is funny when the Sox acquire a prospect rated in the 70-95 range it is awesome, but when the Cubs get a top 15 guy, it is just dumb. Theo is a dope, but could you imagine what a genius Hahn would be if he had 3 of the top 15 and 6 of the top 41 in the Sox minor league system?

Samardz has never finished a season as a starter with an ERA lower than 3.81. He is 29. He wants more than $100 million.

;)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)

This.

Hating on the Cubs just because they're the Cubs is so 2004ish. I love what they're doing right now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)

I don't see much hate, I see a good discussion.

At the very least, that organization is going to become extremely interesting to watch in the next few years.

A lot of folks poke fun at the Cubs "plan," but I absolutely admire their patience and resolve to stick with it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:13 AM)
I don't see much hate, I see a good discussion.

Oh come on...there is some clear jealousy/envy/insecurity going on in this thread.

If this was the Astros that made this trade, I believe the tone would be far different.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)

In all fairness, you're right. Sox fans, my self included, would s*** their britches if the Sox had a farm like the cubs and Hahn would be canonized. The cubs can flip excess hitters for pitchers, just like the Sox can develope pitching to aquire hitting.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
At the very least, that organization is going to become extremely interesting to watch in the next few years.

A lot of folks poke fun at the Cubs "plan," but I absolutely admire their patience and resolve to stick with it.

They clearly are going to be one of the busier teams next winter when it's all said and done which is interesting. I'd love it if we had that many top prospects to trade for mlb players. We would fill our holes in the big league roster now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:18 AM)
They clearly are going to be one of the busier teams next winter when it's all said and done which is interesting. I'd love it if we had that many top prospects to trade for mlb players. We would fill our holes in the big league roster now.

They may very well end up trading some of them away; and I get your mocking of them, I do. But when they get 5-6 of these guys playing together and start tasting some success, they're going to be able to acquire any number of mlb pieces to fill in any holes remaining from their farm system, either via FA, or trade.

And the sad thing is, at least for envious Sox fans, that Hammel will just come back and sign with them again next offseason.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
They may very well end up trading some of them away; and I get your mocking of them, I do. But when they get 5-6 of these guys playing together and start tasting some success, they're going to be able to acquire any number of mlb pieces to fill in any holes remaining from their farm system, either via FA, or trade.

And the sad thing is, at least for envious Sox fans, that Hammel will just come back and sign with them again next offseason.

I don't think I've been mocking them. I'd like to see what he does with these players though before calling him a genius.

For the sox. We have some holes on the roster that are because of injuries and also lack of minor league talent. We also need to fill bullpen slots which is something that is hard to do by trading away valuable talent or even signing. The bullpen is so important yet it's one of the most difficult things to solve. But we aren't that far away from being in serious contention. And when that happens both sides of town should be competitive like the good ol days. Then we will really see some hate.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:28 AM)
I don't think I've been mocking them. I'd like to see what he does with these players though before calling him a genius.

For the sox. We have some holes on the roster that are because of injuries and also lack of minor league talent. We also need to fill bullpen slots which is something that is hard to do by trading away valuable talent or even signing. The bullpen is so important yet it's one of the most difficult things to solve. But we aren't that far away from being in serious contention. And when that happens both sides of town should be competitive like the good ol days. Then we will really see some hate.

Well, I read your comments regarding trading these prospects right back away for mlb talent as mocking...

As for the Sox, I like what Hahn is doing...and it appears we have two of the brighter stars in baseball, but I think the Cubs may vault right past us in a few years in terms of talent and newsworthiness. Imagine a young nucleus of superstar talent on the Cubs, of all teams...the Sox may very well be an afterthought for a few years unless they are making consistent postseason appearances.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Well, I read your comments regarding trading these prospects right back away for mlb talent as mocking...

As for the Sox, I like what Hahn is doing...and it appears we have two of the brighter stars in baseball, but I think the Cubs may vault right past us in a few years in terms of talent and newsworthiness. Imagine a young nucleus of superstar talent on the Cubs, of all teams...the Sox may very well be an afterthought for a few years unless they are making consistent postseason appearances.

No, I was stating we could contend now if we had a stockpile like that. However we still have one of the best hitters and pitchers in he league secured for many years. Unless the cubs develop those guys into that high of a level they can't vault past us. And I also believe in Hahns ability to acquire enough talent around them. Prospects are great but as we have seen with other trades like this they aren't a sure of a thing as what we already have.

Now if they flip a prospect or two for a real top line starter they will be getting there. Signing Rizzo to that long term deal seems pretty brilliant right now.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)
No, I was stating we could contend now if we had a stockpile like that. However we still have one of the best hitters and pitchers in he league secured for many years. Unless the cubs develop those guys into that high of a level they can't vault past us. And I also believe in Hahns ability to acquire enough talent around them. Prospects are great but as we have seen with other trades like this they aren't a sure of a thing as what we already have.

Now if they flip a prospect or two for a real top line starter they will be getting there. Signing Rizzo to that long term deal seems pretty brilliant right now.

Well the key to the Cubs (and the Astros for that matter), is just the sheer depth of talent... They're going to be bringing them up in waves...