**Official 2014 ALCS Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
KC just looks like a team of destiny.

I feel like what we're saying about KC is what other fans said about us when we made our run in 2005.

Moustakas is pretty much Joe Crede at this point.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 01:24 AM)
We're frustrated cause he stunk in Chicago. Who is to blame is the question.

He sucked if all you remembered was him screwing up. But you probably forgot he hit .270/.335/.405 with the Sox the last 5 years.

But De Aza is what he is. He's a 4th OFer on a good team and a starter on a bad team (which we have been for the past 2 years). If you take a look back at De Aza's first stint with us, he hit even better than he's hitting now in Baltimore and that was over 54 games, not 20.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 02:49 AM)
He sucked if all you remembered was him screwing up. But you probably forgot he hit .270/.335/.405 with the Sox the last 5 years.

But De Aza is what he is. He's a 4th OFer on a good team and a starter on a bad team (which we have been for the past 2 years). If you take a look back at De Aza's first stint with us, he hit even better than he's hitting now in Baltimore and that was over 54 games, not 20.

The last 4 minths of the season he hit .299. He was brutal for most of April and May, but he picked it up both offensively and defensively. As you pointed out, many only like to remember the bad.

DeAza is streaky. He will have months that, projected over a full season, would make him a 5.0 WAR player. He will also have months that, if projected over a full season, would make him a -4.0 WAR player. The Orioles are just lucky that this October is a hot month for him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
Dyson's mouth is almost as fast as his legs. Go Baltimore!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseba...ll-win-the-alcs

The Royals are in danger of getting too cocky.

Of course, no team has ever come back after losing the first two at home to take a best of 7, but anything's possible this year.

With Guthrie and Vargas going the next two games, it wouldn't be shocking if Baltimore won those two (despite Chen's terrible record against the Royals)...heck, just winning Monday puts SOME pressure back on KC.

One thing's for sure. Baltimore HAS to score early to quiet that crowd, because it might be the loudest a baseball stadium has ever gotten. Getting out to a 3-0 or 4-0 lead is paramount. If/when the game gets played due to the impending rainshowers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)

Of course, no team has ever come back after losing the first two at home to take a best of 7, but anything's possible this year.

With Guthrie and Vargas going the next two games, it wouldn't be shocking if Baltimore won those two (despite Chen's terrible record against the Royals)...heck, just winning Monday puts SOME pressure back on KC.

One thing's for sure. Baltimore HAS to score early to quiet that crowd, because it might be the loudest a baseball stadium has ever gotten. Getting out to a 3-0 or 4-0 lead is paramount. If/when the game gets played due to the impending rainshowers.

LMAO

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 07:04 AM)
LMAO

Everyone I know who lives in KC said that Kauffman was even louder...and that the mound was actually shaking, according to James Shields.

The real celebrities in this game, maybe the reason the NFL placed it on "Monday Night Football," will be in the Arrowhead Stadium stands. They’ll be wearing red and, as always, making their presence felt.

[+] Enlargenfl_u_chiefs11_300x200.jpgDenny Medley/USA TODAY SportsThe Kansas City Chiefs will hand out earplugs to fans on Monday night, expecting potentially record-breaking noise for their game against the Patriots.ESPN’s TV promo for the game features Chiefs fans, a nod to a group of followers known to be as loyal and loud as any in the league. ESPN’s promos don’t showcase fans often, but this week they’ve made fans the attraction.

Chiefs fans are shown in their gear during a game at Arrowhead doing their trademark tomahawk chop under the superimposed words, “IF YOU MAKE A STATEMENT MAKE IT LOUD.”

“Arrowhead Stadium in my opinion is right there with Seattle with the loudest stadium in the game," said Mike Tirico, ESPN’s "Monday Night Football" play-by-play announcer. “It really comes through on a Monday night."

The day of a "Monday Night Football" game at Arrowhead is, in Kansas City, like a national holiday. Chiefs fans take off prematurely or altogether from work and head over to the stadium for tailgating. One year, on a windless afternoon before a Monday night game against the Green Bay Packers, the stadium was shrouded in the smoke from hundreds if not thousands of barbecue grills in the vast Arrowhead parking lot for hours before kickoff.

“There’s a special electricity that goes with a Monday night game in Kansas City that frankly is very hard to describe," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said.

Monday night, the Chiefs and their fans will attempt to break the Guinness world record for the loudest crowd at an outdoor stadium. The record was set at Arrowhead last year during a game against the Oakland Raiders but broken a few weeks later by Seahawks fans during a game in Seattle.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs will hand out earplugs at stadium gates to fans interested in preserving their hearing for future home games.

“I have this feeling that they’re probably going to set a new record," Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “It’s going to be a lot of red, and we look forward to it and bringing the Patriots in here and letting them enjoy that part of it.”

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)

I have no facts behind this. Just opinion. But the 2-run HR Kerry Wood hit in game 7 against the Marlins was the loudest a baseball stadium has ever gotten. Ever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
I have no facts behind this. Just opinion. But the 2-run HR Kerry Wood hit in game 7 against the Marlins was the loudest a baseball stadium has ever gotten. Ever.

I heard this from people that were at the Podsednik walk off in the world series. People flip out when crazy things happen, im sure there are many fans that feel their stadium was the loudest ever when [insert amazing feat] happened.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
I heard this from people that were at the Podsednik walk off in the world series. People flip out when crazy things happen, im sure there are many fans that feel their stadium was the loudest ever when [insert amazing feat] happened.

That Podsednik homer was by far the loudest I've ever screamed watching an event. Also, one of my angriest memories was game 3 when Konerko GIDP'd after Dye led off with a single. Then Geoff Blum became a trivia question and a White Sox legend.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)

It could be where I was sitting or the fact that I was just so damn happy when Pods hit the walk off but I'll always remember USCF being louder for Iguchi's homer in game 2 of the ALDS than it was for Scott's walk off.

I always tell people that the 2 loudest moments at a stadium/ballpark/whatever for me were Iguchi's homer and CM Punk in 2011, seriously...

Edited by Rowand44

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...cle2693814.html

What the Royals should do with their new bounty of riches from post-season baseball, more season tickets for 2015, etc.

But the Royals have an important incentive to make reasonable increases in their spending — to push their payroll closer to the middle of baseball’s hierarchy. They want to ensure this success that’s been eight years in the making lasts as long as possible.

Their horrendous television contract, a deal that runs through 2019, makes this even more urgent. The Royals earn $20 million or less from that deal each year, a fraction of many teams they’re competing with even as their broadcasts have set multiple ratings records this season.

If the Royals can keep their TV ratings high for the next few years, there is hope inside the organization that they can renegotiate and extend that contract a few years before its expiration. The best way to increase TV ratings, of course, is to win games, which means the Royals could actually make money in the long term by spending money in the short term. That approach worked for them this year — no matter the perception, a $92 million payroll could easily have led to the team losing money this season — and could work as a bigger play as well.

None of this changes the enormous likelihood that Shields and designated hitter Billy Butler will be gone next year. Shields will probably draw offers of up to $20 million per season for four or five years. Butler has a $12.5 million team option that is a virtual lock to be declined, and the Royals have been steadily moving away from him in their long-term plans.

Including Butler’s buyout and other factors such as pitcher Luke Hochevar’s pending free-agency, the Royals should have a little more than $25 million coming off the books to go along with a possible increase in spending. But they are also obligated or likely to pay around $20 million to $25 million in raises to players such as outfielder Alex Gordon, catcher Salvador Perez and first baseman Eric Hosmer.

There are a lot of moving parts here, but the vast majority of the money coming off the books will be used on keeping other pieces of the team together. That means any free-agent signing, or a trade that takes on money, would have to be funded by an increase in payroll.

That’s where this playoff run will continue to shape the franchise. The Royals will have more money than usual, and an increasing financial and competitive incentive to spend it.

Already, this playoff run has changed so much about the Royals. But the best part may be yet to come if the organization uses this success to improve its future.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12