2015-2016 NFL Thread

And finally the rules official on ESPN acknowledges that the Shazier hit was illegal. Amazing how many so called rules experts (Pereira and Carey specifically) didn't know that. Them not knowing that rule or willfully ignoring it really bothers me because it speaks to a lack of competency among officials.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:19 AM)
:angry: just had to ruin my mojo like that...

In all seriousness, I hope Brown gets better. Concussions are what will soon bring the demise of the NFL.

Saw two of them today on absurd plays by Shazier and Burfict. Suspend Burfict for as long as you want and suspend Shazier as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
Burfect has earned it with previous personal fouls and fines. People look at it differently with repeat offenders.

For the record, I don't have a problem with criticizing Burfict as his dirty hits date back to college and I remember one against Illinois in the last game I actually went to in Champaign but it was a ridiculous juxtaposition where they were defending a clearly illegal and dirty hit by Shazier and then going out of their way to find something wrong with Burfict's hit which was clearly clean. I also really hate Ben Roethlisberger as a person and I can't stand the love he gets from announcers as a result so their treatment of those two plays bothered the hell out of me.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the NFL fold at some point in our lifetimes.

Between the increasing injury risks, the lack of competency within the officiating group, concussions, the poorer quality of play within the last few years, etc, the NFL is not in good shape IMO.

This will never happen. Far too much money involved and it's still the most popular sport.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)
For the record, I don't have a problem with criticizing Burfict as his dirty hits date back to college and I remember one against Illinois in the last game I actually went to in Champaign but it was a ridiculous juxtaposition where they were defending a clearly illegal and dirty hit by Shazier and then going out of their way to find something wrong with Burfict's hit which was clearly clean. I also really hate Ben Roethlisberger as a person and I can't stand the love he gets from announcers as a result so their treatment of those two plays bothered the hell out of me.

Shazier's hit was illegal but it was during a play and those happen. I imagine he will get a fine. Burfect's hit on Ben was legal but they've called penalties before on "landing on" the qb to drive him in the ground.

It sounds like you've got something against Rothlisberger which is fine but again when you see the things that Burfect does, I can understand why the announcers talk about him the way they do.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)
I would disagree with this. Shazier did lower his head during a tackle. Burfect hit a guy in the head when there was no play. The ball was ready by him for an incomplete pass. That was the definition of a helpless reciever.

You know what I actually agree with this. Both are really dirty plays, Burfict's was more malicious.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:42 PM)
You know what I actually agree with this. Both are really dirty plays, Burfict's was more malicious.

I don't believe I said Shazier's hit was really dirty. He lowered his head during a tackle. I would call it illegal but not "really dirty." He'll get a fine. Burfect will get a suspension.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:44 AM)
I don't believe I said Shazier's hit was really dirty. He lowered his head during a tackle. I would call it illegal but not "really dirty." He'll get a fine. Burfect will get a suspension.

I'm not sure how hitting a guy in the head with the crown of your helmet isn't dirty but regardless, my agreement was more with the fact that my annoyance with the announcers and Carey for being flat out wrong on that play and defending Shazier over and over for a blatantly illegal hit clouded my judgment and Burfict's play was clearly worse.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:03 AM)
Yikes, James Harrison says he didn't think Burfict's hit on Brown should have been a penalty.

Look at the source. With his history he's nearly as bad.

But to be fair he did say according to the rules and his discussions during his fines, it is an illegal hit. He just doesn't agree with the rule.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:54 PM)
That penalty on Jones was a joke. Get Porter away from the opposition. Can both teams be eliminated

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:00 AM)
Jones just needed to stay away and calm down, but I didn't really see a penalty with Porter all over the field with the Bengals.

What a f***ing s***show though.

And you gotta think Big Ben is done with the way he answered those questions. And he could barely throw 10 yards downfield.

The Jones flag came out when there was a crowd of like 7 Bengals around 1-2 of the refs yelling at the refs and someone, I think Jones, pushed the ref. Clearly was a bump or shove or something, enough for the ref to clearly be pushed backwards, and then the flag came out.

Doesn't matter how mad you are about a call. You don't touch the zebras. You're wearing a huge amount of protective equipment and you're an athlete, they're guys trying to do their job. He had a point, it's unusual for an assistant coach to be out on the field. But that's not a penalty afaik, and you don't respond to that by pushing a ref.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
The Jones flag came out when there was a crowd of like 7 Bengals around 1-2 of the refs yelling at the refs and someone, I think Jones, pushed the ref. Clearly was a bump or shove or something, enough for the ref to clearly be pushed backwards, and then the flag came out.

Doesn't matter how mad you are about a call. You don't touch the zebras. You're wearing a huge amount of protective equipment and you're an athlete, they're guys trying to do their job. He had a point, it's unusual for an assistant coach to be out on the field. But that's not a penalty afaik, and you don't respond to that by pushing a ref.

+1000