Most coveted player in MLB? K.Bryant over Sale/Abreu? WHAT?

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)

More annoyed that Bumgarner is on there. People need to slow down on him a little, including the silly NL manager quoted in the article that he'd take Bumgarner over Kershaw.

He's a poor man's Sale. Maybe not a poor man. He's a middle-class man's Sale.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
More annoyed that Bumgarner is on there. People need to slow down on him a little, including the silly NL manager quoted in the article that he'd take Bumgarner over Kershaw.

He's a poor man's Sale. Maybe not a poor man. He's a middle-class man's Sale.

Let's just split the diff and go with upper middle class, ha.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
With the money owed Cabrera and the fact that he is coming up lame annually now, he is the one guy on the list I think is questionable at best. I don't think many teams would trade for Miguel's Cabrera's contract right now even if they had to give up nothing.

Haha yes, too bad for the Tigers it was a manager on that vote and not a GM.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
The one advantage is that Bryant is even more cost controlled that either Abreu or Sale. The advantage that Sale and Abreu have is proven production.

And he's 5 years younger than Abreu. Either way, you pick one, I'll happily take the other.

Sale never gets any love in these types of polls because of his injury concerns that have yet to come to fruition while everyone else visits Tommy John.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
With the money owed Cabrera and the fact that he is coming up lame annually now, he is the one guy on the list I think is questionable at best. I don't think many teams would trade for Miguel's Cabrera's contract right now even if they had to give up nothing.

Agreed, he should not be on this list at all. Maybe if I had to pick a player for one single AB I'd pick him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
There are 29 other teams that would line up to get Abreu or Sale, so I really, really don't understand this.

The grass is always greener on the other side. People will usually vote for the prospect "because of what he could be" unless it's against a HOF type player.

Sale not being on the list is probably the same reason Troy Tulowitzki is not on the list, except one plays a lot more than the other.

Then again, I think Sale is still one of the most underrated players in the league, and I think he will finally put together a Cy Young season this year and become a household name.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
Sale not being on the list is probably the same reason Troy Tulowitzki is not on the list, except one plays a lot more than the other.

Then again, I think Sale is still one of the most underrated players in the league, and I think he will finally put together a Cy Young season this year and become a household name.

He put together a Cy Young season last year, Kluber was just insane and people love huffing Felix's cock

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
I wouldn't have picked Sale or Abreu either. Why didn't everyone pick Trout? Maybe McCutchen or Kershaw but even then I couldn't take a pitcher. But Swihart, Bryant, Bumgarner? C'mon.

It has to be a pitcher. Pitching wins, especially in the post season. you can't win in the post season without top pitching.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
With this thinking, if you had started a team two years ago with the best pitcher you'd have Justin Verlander now. I'll take my chance on the guy who plays in 160 games rather than the guy who pitches in 33 at most and is a much bigger health risk.

Kershaw is only 26 and has been pretty durable so far so he's the exception to the rule. If he was 30 years old, he wouldn't have been picked. That's also why Bumgardner and Kluber got votes over Felix.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
With this thinking, if you had started a team two years ago with the best pitcher you'd have Justin Verlander now. I'll take my chance on the guy who plays in 160 games rather than the guy who pitches in 33 at most and is a much bigger health risk.

I wouldn't have picked Verlander due to the overuse concerns. However, I still pick the pitcher who can have much more of an effect on a game in the playoffs than a guy who if he is really good is only good about 35% of the time.

I know it's a different opinion and there really isn't a right answer but you can win the World Series with a mediocre offense. You rarely win with mediocre pitching. You can take a player who builds stats facing below average pitching over a 160 games. But they will not perform as well against the superior pitching in the playoffs. Do you want to look good in the regular season playing the averages (ala Beane) or win in the playoffs.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
I wouldn't have picked Verlander due to the overuse concerns. However, I still pick the pitcher who can have much more of an effect on a game in the playoffs than a guy who if he is really good is only good about 35% of the time.

I know it's a different opinion and there really isn't a right answer but you can win the World Series with a mediocre offense. You rarely win with mediocre pitching. You can take a player who builds stats facing below average pitching over a 160 games. But they will not perform as well against the superior pitching in the playoffs. Do you want to look good in the regular season playing the averages (ala Beane) or win in the playoffs.

See Giants in 2010/12/14, and the Royals (with the even more extreme of having very solid starting pitching, but a supremely dominant bullpen and defense that covered up for some of the average at best starting pitching, guys like Vargas, Guthrie and Shields for much of the season. They didn't have a true ace, as Shields is declining and Ventura isn't there yet but might be some day if he can develop secondary pitches to keep hitters off his fastball.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
See Giants in 2010/12/14, and the Royals (with the even more extreme of having very solid starting pitching, but a supremely dominant bullpen and defense that covered up for some of the average at best starting pitching, guys like Vargas, Guthrie and Shields for much of the season. They didn't have a true ace, as Shields is declining and Ventura isn't there yet but might be some day if he can develop secondary pitches to keep hitters off his fastball.)

That's an extreme parenthetical. I'd have broken that out.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Kershaw is only 26 and has been pretty durable so far so he's the exception to the rule. If he was 30 years old, he wouldn't have been picked. That's also why Bumgardner and Kluber got votes over Felix.

Kluber is actually 2 days younger than Felix. The only reason that Kluber got a couple votes was because of last season. Otherwise there is no other reason not to take Felix over Kluber given King Felix' proven track record

QUOTE (Nunnigan @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
Kluber is actually 2 days younger than Felix. The only reason that Kluber got a couple votes was because of last season. Otherwise there is no other reason not to take Felix over Kluber given King Felix' proven track record

Well there's their salaries...