The 25-man right now

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
I disagree. Guys always get dropped from the 40 man during the year, sometimes if they're struggling they can even be passed through waivers completely.

Agree with you. I don't understand his logic. He's not expected back by what, July? Put him on 60 day dl and open up a spot for Albers or Penny.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
Agree with you. I don't understand his logic. He's not expected back by what, July? Put him on 60 day dl and open up a spot for Albers or Penny.

Then whenever Jones is ready, the next person gets booted off of the 40 man. All putting Jones on the 60 day DL does is allow you to protect another player until mid-summer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
Then whenever Jones is ready, the next person gets booted off of the 40 man. All putting Jones on the 60 day DL does is allow you to protect another player until mid-summer.

By that time a couple of players will undoubtedly play themselves off the roster. Just don't know who. Yet. Besides, Jones might hit a bump in the rehab road.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 05:02 AM)
They'd have to add shuck right? Who else? Penny I guess. What's it even at now 39 or something?

40 man roster is at 40.

Jones will hit the 60 day DL which will take it down to 39.

Assuming they go ahead with the following and there is strong indication that they will, then they need to find space for Albers, Micah Johnson, Soto and Penny.

Shuck is already on the 40 man roster.

So by my reckoning they need to trade or DFA 3 people off the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 05:05 AM)
40 man roster is at 40.

Jones will hit the 60 day DL which will take it down to 39.

Assuming they go ahead with the following and there is strong indication that they will, then they need to find space for Albers, Micah Johnson, Soto and Penny.

Shuck is already on the 40 man roster.

So by my reckoning they need to trade or DFA 3 people off the 40 man roster.

Surkamp, Cleto, Wilkins?

We're getting close. 5 days until they leave Arizona.

Pretty safe to say we know the lineup:

Eaton, Cabrera, Abreu, LaRoche, Garcia, Ramirez, Gillaspie, Flowers, Johnson

Bench:

Bonifacio, Beckham, Shuck, Soto

Rotation:

Samardzija, Quintana, Danks, Noesi

Bullpen:

Albers, Cleto, Guerra, Jennings, Putnam, Petricka, Duke, Robertson

DL:

Sale, Crain

Still to be cut:

Asencio, Beck, Carroll, Drabek, E Johnson, Leon, Penny, Rodon, Surkamp, Kottaras, Sanchez, Beltre

With Johnson, Soto, and Albers being added to the 40-man, I would guess Drabek and Surkamp are good bets to be outrighted or traded, and if I had to guess a third...maybe Wilkins?

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Cleto isnt making the team . I don't think Albers is either. More and more looks like Rodon could be in the pen with the way the pen has been looking.

No way Hahn is that short-sighted. The back-end of the rotation is much more concerning IMO and Rodon will be needed in the next 2 to 6 weeks to plug one of those spots. Therefore, he should start the season at Charlotte working on his changeup and overall command. Our team has a much better chance of competing with Rodon holding the #4 spot in the rotation than pitching 3 to 4 innings a week out of the pen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
We're getting close. 5 days until they leave Arizona.

Pretty safe to say we know the lineup:

Eaton, Cabrera, Abreu, LaRoche, Garcia, Ramirez, Gillaspie, Flowers, Johnson

Bench:

Bonifacio, Beckham, Shuck, Soto

Rotation:

Samardzija, Quintana, Danks, Noesi

Bullpen:

Albers, Surkamp, Guerra, Jennings, Putnam, Petricka, Duke, Robertson

DL:

Sale, Crain

Still to be cut:

Asencio, Beck, Carroll, Drabek, E Johnson, Leon, Penny, Rodon, Cleto, Kottaras, Sanchez, Beltre

With Johnson, Soto, and Albers being added to the 40-man, I would guess Drabek is a good bet to be outrighted or traded, and if I had to guess a third...maybe Wilkins?

My changes are bolded. I would like for them to have a third lefty in the pen (even if it is only for 5 games) so you can play matchups more in the first series with the Royals.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
We don't need three lefties in the bullpen, sorry.

Not saying long-term. He'd just get sent down prior to Sundays game when Sale comes off dl since all signs point to him starting on dl (retroactive to about now). They'd go from 4 starters 8 relievers to 5 starters 7 relievers

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 12:47 AM)
What does this even mean? Surkamp isn't making the team because he's not one of the best seven relievers.

I think they break with 8 with Sale coming off dl April 12. Don't think it makes sense not to start him on dl like this considering he would only miss his opening day start and his roster spot isn't needed til he starts.

Edited by soxfan2014

Rodon isn't making the team, but it would be nice if he was there to go 2-4 innings every three to five days, and at the end of the year, he's pitched in 45-50 games with about 140 important innings. But that's not baseball right now, so it won't happen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 18m18 minutes ago

Expect W Sox to follow same plan y'all. RT @MikeDiGiovanna: #Angels will open season with four starters and 12 pitchers.

Interesting.

Makes sense. I've already explained it lol it will only be for like 6 games

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
I think he was referring to Duke/Jennings/Rodon

No, the guy I quoted had Duke/Jennings/Surkamp in the bullpen to start the year. I don't see us ever having 3 lefties in the bullpen at any time let alone that 3rd lefty being Surkamp is pretty bad.

I actually think the opening day pitching staff could look like this: Samardzija, Quintana, Danks, Noesi, Robertson, Duke, Petricka, Guerra, Jennings, Putnam, Albers, and Drabek. I think Cleto and Surkamp somehow get moved from the 40 man to add Soto and Micah Johnson.

Jacob Petricka still feels sore. Knows it's clean. Irritated because he just has to let arm rest. #WhiteSox

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/582250436998004736

Petricka still dealing with moderate soreness. Not looking likely for Opening Day, which is 8 days away.

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiSox/status/582250562755956736

Robin Ventura says Micah Johnson has "done well enough to be the leading guy" for second-base job. But he's not naming him starter yet.

https://twitter.com/ChiTribKane/status/582250943837646848

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer