2016 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
One of those funky delivery guys. Doesn't seem like a #10.

Would be a big reach at #10, but I would be very excited for him at #26. I think he sticks as a starter and has a high floor.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Callis said if the Brewers don't take Ray at 5, he thinks he'll fall to the Sox at 10. Sounds good to me.

Also said, Ray or Lux at 10, and a college arm at 26.

They are super high on Lux. Sounds like they are worried he will be around at 26.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
That's a reach. Sign him for below slot, then and using the savings in later round.

It would be interesting to see if the could work something out well below slot at 10 for Lux and then grab Rutherford later in the first round. There were reports that some teams with larger pools were trying to get him to slip into the comp round (like Cameron last year) and the Sox could be one of the teams trying to make that happen.

I love the idea of being able to get Perez or Ray at 10. I think at this point the Sox are going to have some pretty good options on the table at 10, it is going to be about getting creative so that you can maximize that value you will get out of your next two picks.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
It would be interesting to see if the could work something out well below slot at 10 for Lux and then grab Rutherford later in the first round. There were reports that some teams with larger pools were trying to get him to slip into the comp round (like Cameron last year) and the Sox could be one of the teams trying to make that happen.

I love the idea of being able to get Perez or Ray at 10. I think at this point the Sox are going to have some pretty good options on the table at 10, it is going to be about getting creative so that you can maximize that value you will get out of your next two picks.

I just hope they take the guy who will turn into the best player at 10. The Astros cost themselves Rodon and Bryant playing the underslot/overslot game.

Edited by Dick Allen

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 1h1 hour ago

Hottest name I'm hearing right now for the #mlbdraft is Louisville @GoCards catcher Will Smith, .380/.476/.573 this year, 12 K in 191 PA

John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba 11m11 minutes ago

@keithlaw Hey, just noticed you moved him up to 59 on your latest 100. Maybe we're light on him!

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 9m9 minutes ago

@johnmanuelba i was light on him before!

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 24m24 minutes ago

yes or athletic enough to movekeithlaw added,

@keithlaw @GoCards Does he profile well enough defensively to stay at catcher?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
I just hope they take the guy who will turn into the best player at 10. The Astros cost themselves Rodon and Bryant playing the underslot/overslot game.

The Astros didn't take Appel over Bryant because of money. That ended up being an awful pick but lots of people had Appel as the #1 player in that class and most people actually thought Appel and Jon Gray would go 1-2 before Bryant.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
The Astros didn't take Appel over Bryant because of money. That ended up being an awful pick but lots of people had Appel as the #1 player in that class and most people actually thought Appel and Jon Gray would go 1-2 before Bryant.

Appel was a senior with no leverage and signed for underslot, plus he was highly ranked. I think money had a lot to do with it. Take the best player. Don't worry about the other stuff. It's hard enough projecting in baseball anyways, although it is getting better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Appel was a senior with no leverage and signed for underslot, plus he was highly ranked. I think money had a lot to do with it. Take the best player. Don't worry about the other stuff. It's hard enough projecting in baseball anyways, although it is getting better.

It worked magically with Correa though. Correa was not seen as the #1 prospect. They took him #1 and got Lance McCullers because of it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
It worked magically with Correa though. Correa was not seen as the #1 prospect. They took him #1 and got Lance McCullers because of it.

I remember a lot of people mocking the Astros for taking Correa. Laughable looking back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)

Based on what? Most evaluators had Appel ranked higher than Bryant going into that draft. Just because it didn't turn out that way doesn't mean that isn't how it was seen at the time. You are evaluating this entirely based on hindsight.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Based on what? Most evaluators had Appel ranked higher than Bryant going into that draft. Just because it didn't turn out that way doesn't mean that isn't how it was seen at the time. You are evaluating this entirely based on hindsight.

I thought Bryant was #1 just about everywhere. Rockies wanted him, they got Jon Gray at #3.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)

I read a couple things where the Astros wanted under slot for later and Bryant was represented by Boras so was not going to be considered, Boras does represent Appel but he had no leverage and signed for under slot. About $1 million IIRC.

Edit, $1.45 million under slot.

Just a coincidence? I don't think so, and I think it is the same reason they took Aiken instead of Rodon.

62 games 31 homers for Bryant his junior year with the dead aluminum bat. Considering their offense is based almost solely on power, he was right up their alley.

Edited by Dick Allen

Are there any relations of White Sox execs or coaching staff to watch out for this year?

It's worth noting that had we selected Daz Cameron (Mike's son) and yet another in a long line of toolsy outfielders, we might not be too happy with the results.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?playe...itting/2015/ALL

I'll try to check out a game when I am home to the Quad Cities in July/August and give a scouting report.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Anyone have an idea why there are some rumblings the Sox are going to stay away from Collins?

Callis said on the SSS podcast that Hahn or Hostetler (sp?) went to go see him last week and he went 0 for 4 with 3 Ks and looked awful. Said it doesn't mean they are sour on him, but late impressions tend to stick and could make them shy away. Didn't seem to have any other reasons other than that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:05 AM)
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/5/5/11...tate-university

Of course, the Cardinals will end up with Dakota Hudson and they'll have another stud on their hands, right?

Nothing about Hudson impressed me on Friday, if we draft him he is likely a bust but with the Cardinals he probably does well because that is just how it goes