Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
The thing about Q is that his value is high based on his performance relative to his contract. This holds a lot of weight for most teams...except the Dodgers. Since the Dodgers don't seem to be afraid of paying a lot is it really fair to say they value Q like other teams would? To that end, do we really think they would give up Max value for him in prospects?

If they wouldn't...then we don't trade him there, or at all.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
The thing about Q is that his value is high based on his performance relative to his contract. This holds a lot of weight for most teams...except the Dodgers. Since the Dodgers don't seem to be afraid of paying a lot is it really fair to say they value Q like other teams would? To that end, do we really think they would give up Max value for him in prospects?

He was the 10th best pitcher in baseball last year.

20th this year with a historically bad defense.

If they aren't paying up for him, they don't get him.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)

I actually think that does hold value with them. Look at how hard it is for yanks to deal with CC. Even knowing they can eat the cost, taking on albatross contracts for aging stars becomes difficult to deal with. They are not just DFA'ing these players. They still deal with them.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)

I assume they trade Shark. I think you trade Q in the offseason where more teams are looking to trade. That would give them the chance to see how Johnson performs in the rotation. It also gives you probably another month to see Rodon and it gives them more time to see Fulmer. then the FO can make a decision if they have enough pitching to trade Q.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
I assume they trade Shark. I think you trade Q in the offseason where more teams are looking to trade. That would give them the chance to see how Johnson performs in the rotation. It also gives you probably another month to see Rodon and it gives them more time to see Fulmer. then the FO can make a decision if they have enough pitching to trade Q.

Anyone can trade for Q now. He's locked up long-term so even teams selling can be interested.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)

One thing to remember, Q would only be traded in a big deal. Not trading him to trade him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)

What stat is that, that shows he was the 10th best last year & the 20th this year? Hawk mentioned it earlier & I can't find what it's actually called.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
What stat is that, that shows he was the 10th best last year & the 20th this year? Hawk mentioned it earlier & I can't find what it's actually called.

I think they're referring to fWAR, but I'm not sure.

I saw our Sox want 4 young pieces for Shark, this is unrealistic but how about Garcy Sanchez, Eric Jagielo, Dustin Fowler, and Ty Hensley from NYY? Franchise C, starting 3B, a TJ battled starter/former high drat pick, and lefty hitting OF in high A/29th ranked prospect

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
I saw our Sox want 4 young pieces for Shark, this is unrealistic but how about Garcy Sanchez, Eric Jagielo, Dustin Fowler, and Ty Hensley from NYY? Franchise C, starting 3B, a TJ battled starter/former high drat pick, and lefty hitting OF in high A/29th ranked prospect

What is Jagielo's ETA? It says 2017 on mlb.com and he's 3 years older than Trey at the same level.

Jagielo's stats .284/.347/.495/.842. 16 doubles, 2 triples, 9 HRs, 35 RBIs, 18 BBs, 58 Ks

Trey's stats .270/.351/.411/.762 22 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HRs, 55 RBIs, 38 BBs, 72Ks

Give me Trey every single day and twice on Sunday.

So what happens if the Sox win the next four and the Twins lose the next four?

It probably won't happen, but point being, there are teams still in wait-and-see mode--or at least they should be. The Twins are the second wildcard at 8 over .500, playing the Yankees and Pirates next. The rest of the teams behind them are at .500 or worse.

The Twins falling back to .500 would make the rest of the season extremely interesting for many teams, and possibly make the 2nd wildcard winner get in with 83 or 84 wins.

I'm not saying the Sox should bank on going 39-29 to magically get in with 83 wins, but I'd probably want to wait until Thursday or Friday to trade Samardzija. Right now, a lot teams are watching what the Twins are doing.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)

i was extremely glad someone woke me up on jageilo vs trey.... i can deal with that now.

but getting 4 back in any shark trade.... wtf is the sox FO thinking.

yanks i will still maintain what i said with a major chg... i drop jageilo and i would want sanchez-cat, wade-ss and scevedo-sp

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)

It probably won't happen, but point being, there are teams still in wait-and-see mode--or at least they should be. The Twins are the second wildcard at 8 over .500, playing the Yankees and Pirates next. The rest of the teams behind them are at .500 or worse.

The Twins falling back to .500 would make the rest of the season extremely interesting for many teams, and possibly make the 2nd wildcard winner get in with 83 or 84 wins.

I'm not saying the Sox should bank on going 39-29 to magically get in with 83 wins, but I'd probably want to wait until Thursday or Friday to trade Samardzija. Right now, a lot teams are watching what the Twins are doing.

crazier things has happen.... everyone knows that.

for me, commit to the trading. don't do has in past decisions waited too long to make a move. perfect example are at least these 2-Dayan Viciedo, Alex Rios. they should have been moved before they were moved.

rushing prospects.... they are too early, making trades or moving players, they are way too late.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
What is Jagielo's ETA? It says 2017 on mlb.com and he's 3 years older than Trey at the same level.

Jagielo's stats .284/.347/.495/.842. 16 doubles, 2 triples, 9 HRs, 35 RBIs, 18 BBs, 58 Ks

Trey's stats .270/.351/.411/.762 22 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HRs, 55 RBIs, 38 BBs, 72Ks

Give me Trey every single day and twice on Sunday.

Jagielo went to my high school a few years ago. Everyone around here loves him. He umpired a few of my little league games. I know it doesn't mean anything to you guys, but it sure would be cool to have him on the Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)

I was looking at this too this morning. If you believe the Twins will come back down to earth in the near future, an argument could be made that the Rays & Blue Jays are the realistic leaders for that 2nd wild card spot and that we are only 3 games behind them. Still makes us huge longshots, but given the strength of our pitching and recent turnarounds from Melky & Alexei, there is a slight sliver of hope. Enough, IMO, that you need to get at least one sure-fire prospect for Shark in order to move him, especially when you have a comp pick/draft flexibility as a fallback option.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
I was looking at this too this morning. If you believe the Twins will come back down to earth in the near future, an argument could be made that the Rays & Blue Jays are the realistic leaders for that 2nd wild card spot and that we are only 3 games behind them. Still makes us huge longshots, but given the strength of our pitching and recent turnarounds from Melky & Alexei, there is a slight sliver of hope. Enough, IMO, that you need to get at least one sure-fire prospect for Shark in order to move him, especially when you have a comp pick/draft flexibility as a fallback option.

The Jays should be there at the end. 4 games left with the Phillies, 3 with the Braves, and a bunch of division games. They actually have a decent shot of catching the Yankees. With their offense, they should be ashamed of being only .500 right now.

Personally, I'm hoping the Sox and Twins both lose the next 6 days. Fewer sellers, but the Sox still are.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
it would be interesting after all of this if they went out and added a bat.

probably would piss a lot of people off.

What available bats are a good fit for this team and actually available?

I can't think of an available catcher who would be a big enough difference maker to motivate the Sox to make a deal. AJ's having a solid season and you could slot him in next to HGeovannyH for an upgrade. Stephen Vogt having a solid season for the A's but since he's controlled through 2019 that's a huge price. Lucroy tops the list but huge price again and he's having a down year. Are we willing to spend Anderson + more to get Lucroy or Vogt?

3b Todd Frazier is the obvious upgrade, but that's a defensive downgrade and another huge price. That'd again have to be Anderson + probably more than 1 of our minor league pitchers.

They're not benching LaRoche, they're not benching Abreu, 2b we could make an upgrade but not likely a major bat available since it's 2b (you want to take on Cano's contract?).

They're not benching Eaton, Cabrera is never going to live up to his contract since he's a terrible defender but he's hitting well lately so even if you try to upgrade him you might not get big results.

The place where you could find someone cheaply, where there are guys who are free agents at the end of the year that might not cost Anderson, is right field. You'd still pay for a guy like Upton, you'd pay less for a guy like Marlon Byrd but get less of an upgrade, but are they ready to send Avi back to AAA?

So to get a real upgrade it's either benching someone with a big contract, sending Avi down and replacing him, or going all in and trading Anderson + Montas + more for a major investment.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
What available bats are a good fit for this team and actually available?

I can't think of an available catcher who would be a big enough difference maker to motivate the Sox to make a deal. AJ's having a solid season and you could slot him in next to HGeovannyH for an upgrade. Stephen Vogt having a solid season for the A's but since he's controlled through 2019 that's a huge price. Lucroy tops the list but huge price again and he's having a down year. Are we willing to spend Anderson + more to get Lucroy or Vogt?

3b Todd Frazier is the obvious upgrade, but that's a defensive downgrade and another huge price. That'd again have to be Anderson + probably more than 1 of our minor league pitchers.

They're not benching LaRoche, they're not benching Abreu, 2b we could make an upgrade but not likely a major bat available since it's 2b (you want to take on Cano's contract?).

They're not benching Eaton, Cabrera is never going to live up to his contract since he's a terrible defender but he's hitting well lately so even if you try to upgrade him you might not get big results.

The place where you could find someone cheaply, where there are guys who are free agents at the end of the year that might not cost Anderson, is right field. You'd still pay for a guy like Upton, you'd pay less for a guy like Marlon Byrd but get less of an upgrade, but are they ready to send Avi back to AAA?

So to get a real upgrade it's either benching someone with a big contract, sending Avi down and replacing him, or going all in and trading Anderson + Montas + more for a major investment.

i'm definitely not advocating to add. but it wouldn't surprise me if the fo took that approach if the sox continued to play well over the next week. it would undoubtedly be the incorrect decision.