Chris Sale is the most bestest pitcher evar!

Rowand44

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
If you want to lose brain cells, read the replies to this comment.

https://www.facebook.com/SportsCenter/photo...2%3A%22R9%22%7D

Apparently, Sale is barely a top-20 pitcher in baseball.

"He's better than top 20 and probably more top 10 but a few I'd prefer over him?

Kershaw, Grienke, Bumgarner, Price, Archer, Keuchel, Cueto, Scherzer, Kluber, Arrieta, Gray"

Chris really needs to stop with the inconsistency and just snap off a clear Cy Young winning, Pedro Martinez level season so we stop having to hear these comments.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)
If you want to lose brain cells, read the replies to this comment.

https://www.facebook.com/SportsCenter/photo...2%3A%22R9%22%7D

Apparently, Sale is barely a top-20 pitcher in baseball.

"He's better than top 20 and probably more top 10 but a few I'd prefer over him?

Kershaw, Grienke, Bumgarner, Price, Archer, Keuchel, Cueto, Scherzer, Kluber, Arrieta, Gray"

I think most teams would rather face half of those guys than Sale.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
Chris really needs to stop with the inconsistency and just snap off a clear Cy Young winning, Pedro Martinez level season so we stop having to hear these comments.

Well tomorrow he is going to be leading the MLB in pitching fWAR or close to it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
Is Sale the best pitcher in White Sox history, pure talent wise? The answer may be yes.

Very hard to say since you can't compare era's. Sox have had a lot of truly tremendous pitchers in their history.

Let's see how Sale stacks up in another five years or so.

He can be one of the best but 'the best', I'm not sure of that one even talent wise.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 07:19 AM)
Very hard to say since you can't compare era's. Sox have had a lot of truly tremendous pitchers in their history.

Let's see how Sale stacks up in another five years or so.

He can be one of the best but 'the best', I'm not sure of that one even talent wise.

Mark

i can see and enjoy the happiness and all for Sale attitude.... but the sox have had some great pitchers.

wilbur wood

tommy john

jack mcdowell

lamarr hoyt

just to name a few. and this is in my era.......

Is Sale the best pitcher in White Sox history, pure talent wise? The answer may be yes.

If Sale spends 6 more years in a Sox uniform and those years are even somewhat close to his 2014-15 numbers, then he will be the greatest pitcher in Sox history by far.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
One of the most dominating pitchers in the game. Hard to believe but when this season is over he'd have spent five full years in the bigs.

And he hasn't come close to sniffing a playoff start. Such a shame.

Mark

Came pretty close in 2012.

I have seen a lot of sox pitchers over my time. Peak Chris Sale is better than all of them. He has the competition of a Jack McDowell, the cunning of a Mark Buehrle, and the pure stuff of a Bobby Jenks.

If he can keep this up for a decade or so, I would call him the best I have ever seen before. All time is a tough comparison because of the different eras, but he would be in the discussion for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
I have seen a lot of sox pitchers over my time. Peak Chris Sale is better than all of them. He has the competition of a Jack McDowell, the cunning of a Mark Buehrle, and the pure stuff of a Bobby Jenks.

If he can keep this up for a decade or so, I would call him the best I have ever seen before. All time is a tough comparison because of the different eras, but he would be in the discussion for sure.

you have a great point and i will not fault it.

i am just saying, he is still too young in his career to name him as the best. i would like to see more yrs and the same results.

i get me wrong, i am saying he is special and when there was a discussion of trading him during the deadline, i was against it, b/c he is a special kind of a pitcher.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
Very good shot at winning the Cy Young however Gray and Keuchel are probably ahead.

I honestly think Sale would probably say he's having a bad season.

He hasn't been a perfect pitcher this season. He's had too many bad starts. And he has no shot at winning the Cy this year.

Great pitcher though. Just not his year for that award.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
He is tied for the AL lead in WAR with 20 less innings than Kluber. He leads the majors in K's. He is having the best season of his young, stellar career so far. He has a very good shot at the Cy Young.

It just depends on how much you can count on the voters to ignore a higher ERA. Last season they showed some aptitude when they gave it to Kluber instead of Felix, but I wonder if that had more to do with "Ooh 18 wins!!" than anything else.

We all know Sale is a stud, but the 3.32 ERA is a barrier and he's probably not gonna lead the AL in wins. Keuchel probably gets it if the season ends today.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
He is tied for the AL lead in WAR with 20 less innings than Kluber. He leads the majors in K's. He is having the best season of his young, stellar career so far. He has a very good shot at the Cy Young.

I'll revise it...if the Sox make the playoffs and he's stellar down the stretch, yes, ok, he has a shot.

Keuchel, Gray, and Price are having better seasons though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
I honestly think Sale would probably say he's having a bad season.

He hasn't been a perfect pitcher this season. He's had too many bad starts. And he has no shot at winning the Cy this year.

Great pitcher though. Just not his year for that award.

If he keeps going at the same pace he will have career bests in FIP, xFIP, SIERRA, fWAR, K/9, BB/9, K/BB, Ks, and IP. Currently leading the league in fWAR, FIP, Ks and K/9. I hardly call that a bad season and if he considers it to be, he is wrong.

He's already surpassed last year's WAR total, and he had a 2.17 ERA last season. However, the ERA is a huge barrier. Though he's tied with Kluber, ERA is hurting Kluber as well. I'd probably put Keuchel as the frontrunner right now with Price and Gray right there, and then Sale and Kluber are just a step behind. With a dominant September, I could see Sale or Kluber taking it though.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

I agree with all these points. I think even when his stuff diminishes (and at some point it will), he can easily become a Buehrle type pitcher and just pitch to contact and use finesse and location as opposed to pure power.

Assuming he doesn't have any bad injuries (knock on wood), he's well on his way to a HOF career IMO.