Chris Tannehill/Score trying to make Harrelson look bad...?

caulfield12

It is what it is when it comes to Hawk. He'll be gone soon. I think his act has grown old, and I usually go out of my way to listen to the radio call because I think it's glorious, but he is a dying breed, and I'm conscious of the fact that there will be days when he's gone that I'll miss him in the booth- so I've tuned in a bit more than in the past. Regarding 670 & Hawk, there is no doubt in my mind that Bernstein watches Sox games for Hawk material first and foremost. It really only takes one minute of listening to 670 outside of Sox games to recognize that a good percentage of the rest of them (producers as well) are just parrots, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that this is a thing. You can tell that Boers isn't anywhere near as bothered by Hawk as DB is- he just kind of sticks to the script.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People want to Hate on Hawk... I get it. He says a lot of things that make me roll my eyes.

But I know so many people that identify Hawkisms that couldn't tell you 1 player on the White Sox.

Espn guys saying "You can put it on the Board!"

Hawk is full of *hit is so many ways but I will always love his raw emotion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)
Are both really jerks? Any proof?

dont know anything about Steve Stone but I've seen and heard enough about Hawk and the general consensus is that he's a pompous prick.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
People want to Hate on Hawk... I get it. He says a lot of things that make me roll my eyes.

But I know so many people that identify Hawkisms that couldn't tell you 1 player on the White Sox.

Espn guys saying "You can put it on the Board!"

Hawk is full of *hit is so many ways but I will always love his raw emotion.

Cool, pretty sure a jackass Sportscenter anchor parroting Hawk's tired catchphrases in no way increases my enjoyment of watching a Sox game but that's good to know. The argument that Hawk's stupid f***ing shtick makes the Sox relevant on a national scale is played out and false, the Sox are an afterthought and any quick-hit highlight package references to the doddering old man in the Sox booth are simply ironic at this point. Hawk Harrelson does not move the scale, he simply weighs us down with narcissistic bullls***.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
Hawk deserves to be criticized. What he said was f***ing stupid and wrong. It's embarrassing quite frankly.

close the thread. Hawk is one of the most coddled people in all of professional sports, let alone broadcasting. At the rate he's going (and the Sox club) he's gonna have a "woodie hayes" like moment IMO or at least be a complete embarrassment like Harry Carry..

I love the old coot but it's time to cut that cord and to be upset about someone calling out Hawk, well that's just insane because the man never, ever gets called out for anything that matters. The closest I've seen in the media is some stuff from Jim at SSS.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
close the thread. Hawk is one of the most coddled people in all of professional sports, let alone broadcasting. At the rate he's going (and the Sox club) he's gonna have a "woodie hayes" like moment IMO or at least be a complete embarrassment, not just a mild one, like Harry Carry..

I love the old coot but it's time to cut that cord and to be upset about someone calling out Hawk, well that's just insane because the man never, ever gets called out for anything that matters. The closest I've seen in the media is some stuff from Jim at SSS.

I've just grown tired of him. Will always have a soft spot for him because I like listening at moments when we win and things are good but I'd rather listen to someone intelligent.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
Cool, pretty sure a jackass Sportscenter anchor parroting Hawk's tired catchphrases in no way increases my enjoyment of watching a Sox game but that's good to know. The argument that Hawk's stupid f***ing shtick makes the Sox relevant on a national scale is played out and false, the Sox are an afterthought and any quick-hit highlight package references to the doddering old man in the Sox booth are simply ironic at this point. Hawk Harrelson does not move the scale, he simply weighs us down with narcissistic bullls***.

Wow

I don't dislike anyone on the whitesox as much as some of you dislike Hawk. The other point is the old doddering man historically has been the only thing they paid attention to because the team sucked.

But in the end this is kind of funny.. I mean I never really ever cared about announcers that much.

The anger and pain is a little comical.

Now you guys are going to tell me Harry Carrey was better...

Edited by harkness

Hawk is great. Last night's game is a pure example of how some of you take him for granted. The game went 4 extra innings and he and Stoney were absolutely a delight to listen to. I'm serious. They are both baseball people and talk about interesting s***. I'm sick of listening to Steve Physioc of the Royals and his perfect enunciation and constant blabbering about how to buy tickets and ridiculing the opponent and typical broacast bulls*** when you are a shill for the team.

Hawk is a homer "put it on the board, yes" but I'll support him forever cause he does rip the White Sox. Any announcer does that for another team and they're gone, fired, gonzo after the season. Hawk WILL and does rip the White Sox and I love when he does that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
Hawk is great. Last night's game is a pure example of how some of you take him for granted. The game went 4 extra innings and he and Stoney were absolutely a delight to listen to. I'm serious. They are both baseball people and talk about interesting s***. I'm sick of listening to Steve Physioc of the Royals and his perfect enunciation and constant blabbering about how to buy tickets and ridiculing the opponent and typical broacast bulls*** when you are a shill for the team.

Hawk is a homer "put it on the board, yes" but I'll support him forever cause he does rip the White Sox. Any announcer does that for another team and they're gone, fired, gonzo after the season. Hawk WILL and does rip the White Sox and I love when he does that.

http://www.stadiumgiveawayexchange.com/sep...bie-bobblehead/

But imagine the possibilities with Hawk and Zombie Night combined. Kansas City Special. BBQ. Everyone dressed up in Walking Dead costumes with full Tom Brady/Gollumesque make-up that would make Hawk seem young and spry. Zombie Bobbleheads.

Of course, he'll get his chance since they're playing the White Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)

http://www.stadiumgiveawayexchange.com/sep...bie-bobblehead/

But imagine the possibilities with Hawk and Zombie Night combined. Kansas City Special. BBQ. Everyone dressed up in Walking Dead costumes with full Tom Brady/Gollumesque make-up that would make Hawk seem young and spry. Zombie Bobbleheads.

Of course, he'll get his chance since they're playing the White Sox.

Gambling pools for first thread mention of Corpseball, the Sox need to wake up/look alive in the first inning...or why do we always play like zombies against the Royals in KC (0-6 this season)?

Boers and Bernstein have criticized Hawk for years. It has nothing to do with the team leaving the station. I think many people that do it just want a professional broadcast. I know I do. Also, Chris Tannehill is a White Sox fan. Goes on numerous White Sox trips to different cities every year.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
Bad compounds bad, in a way Hawk is a victim of the White Sox failure to consistently compete, if he were the long time announcer of the cardinals he may be fine but with the Sox it wares thin.

Nah, McCarver is worse.

So is Rex Hudler.

Hawk really just needs to be a color guy or paired with someone different than Stone.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 02:50 AM)
The people who hate on hawk have never listened to other teams broadcast.

I love listening to other teams broadcasts, be it MLB.tv or Sirius radio. Hawk is easily the worst TV guy I have heard in the last 10 years since I started with MLB.tv/Extra Innings.

I drove cross country a few years ago and had satellite radio and it was so refreshing to hear other teams radio broadcasts. No monotonous dull pbp guys. They actually talked about the game and described the action.

Our 2 pbp guys are brutal compared to most others.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 02:50 AM)
The people who hate on hawk have never listened to other teams broadcast.

This 100%. I've had mlb.tv for 5 years and heard every broadcast team out there. I can see how some of you don't want the announcing team to talk game situations, mindset etc. Hawk is the only one to do it.