Hahn Speaks

GGajewski18

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
Which would be a bad decision. I don't think this organization is good enough at scouting and offensive development to start from scratch.

I'm fed up with this team. Make a decision either way. Quit half assing it and hire a real manager. I feel like this team is split. Half going for it and half rebuilding.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
"We've been extremely open minded. Everything is on the table and we're looking at everything."

(Makes no moves at trade deadline or even on waiver wire).

Exactly. What else is he going to say? "We're really happy with the makeup that we have right now."

If they trade Sale or Q it better not be to the Cubs. Don't help them win a WS. Also it better be to an NL team. We don't want to face Sale. He'll mow down the Sox game after game year after year to get even.

What you need to do is sign that Cuban player everybody was talking about a couple weeks ago if he can truly hit. Then you can plug him in left and get rid of Melky. Let Thompson play right and get rid of Avi. Be creative and maybe you can get something for Melky, Avi and throw in Robertson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
Which would be a bad decision. I don't think this organization is good enough at scouting and offensive development to start from scratch.

I think they're ok at acquiring near ML ready talent or talent that needs a change of Scenery, there have been misses (Davidson) but there have been hits as well De Aza, Abreu, Eaton even Gillaspie to a lesser extent and the verdict is still out on Avi. This team's core competency is pitching.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
But...White Flag, the Sox attendance will nosedive, etc., etc.

Would have been nice if they would have started rebuilding in 2007 instead of eight years later. If that had been done correctly, we'd be sitting in a sweet position right about now.

According to this thread, we're now pushing back to 2018-19-20.

Hope they get it right at some point. And/or decide to hold someone accountable for not getting it right finally.

I don't think it matters if you are not good at scouting and drafting.

QUOTE (beautox @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
Chris Sale could bring back a franchise altering haul, and between boston with dombrowski at the head they might be willing to sake f*** the rebuild and lets reload.

I feel if you move Sale though you're forced to move Quintana and Abreu as well, and eventually Robertson when the best deal presents it self and anything else in the pen. You'd be forced to play LaRoche in hopes that he can perform a Dunn and sell high at the deadline same goes for Danks and melky if he produces his second half numbers would have a lot of teams giving calls. The nice thing with moving everyone not named Eaton is that we should be able to cut our rebuild time in half and be competitive in 2-3 years with the addition of another 2-3 top ten picks to supplement the transition. Keeping eaton makes sense because he is still young and under contract for when we should be ready to compete.

Sale isn't bringing back a franchise-altering haul unless they're already players in the MLB

in case you haven't noticed over the past 15 years, the Sox are incapable of grooming hitters.

There are three pieces to Sale's value: his quality as a pitcher, his cheap contract in terms of dollars, and the number of years. The problem with dealing with the Dodgers or Red Sox is that the cheap contract doesn't mean that much to them. To get full value you would have to look at teams for him that would mean a lot such as the Astros, Royals, or pirates, or even the Cardinals. I don't know that those systems are strong enough. The The Dodgers are Red Sox may be willing to take contracts as part of the value but I don't think that really Sox much and hopefully that's not what the Sox would be looking for.

As for Quintana, I'm just not sure how big that haul would be

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 07:40 AM)
There are three pieces to Sale's value: his quality as a pitcher, his cheap contract in terms of dollars, and the number of years. The problem with dealing with the Dodgers or Red Sox is that the cheap contract doesn't mean that much to them. To get full value you would have to look at teams for him that would mean a lot such as the Astros, Royals, or pirates, or even the Cardinals. I don't know that those systems are strong enough. The The Dodgers are Red Sox may be willing to take contracts as part of the value but I don't think that really Sox much and hopefully that's not what the Sox would be looking for.

The return for Quintana should be similar to the return for Sale. They're both aces. Sale's return should only be slightly better.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 08:02 AM)
The return for Quintana should be similar to the return for Sale. They're both aces. Sale's return should only be slightly better.

Quintana is not an ace. I love him. He's a #2 though. But he's cheap and really good and they won't trade him unless they get a lot in return.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
Quintana is not an ace. I love him. He's a #2 though. But he's cheap and really good and they won't trade him unless they get a lot in return.

IMO, the starting pitchers who are top-30 in fWAR should all be considered "aces" because, if they were all spread out on different teams, they would be the best starter on their team.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
IMO, the starting pitchers who are top-30 in fWAR should all be considered "aces" because, if they were all spread out on different teams, they would be the best starter on their team.

I've always disagreed with this definition of "ace". There is a substantial difference between the best starter in the league and the 30th best. #1 is at 6.6 fWAR, #30 is at 2.8 fWAR. Well over twice as valuable. An ace is supposed to be the best of the best, not just the best on a particular team. I would consider the best of the best to be the top 10% or less which would mean at any given time there would be 15 guys or less considered "aces".

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)

Not many teams have an actual ace though. There are like only 20 in all of baseball probably.

Chris Sale

Corey Kluber

Justin Verlander (Used to be an Ace)

Johnny Cueto

Chris Archer

David Price

Dallas Keuchel

Sonny Gray

Cole Hamels

Yu Darvish

Felix Hernandez

Jake Arrieta

Adam Wainwright

Gerrit Cole

Clayton Kershaw

Zack Greinke

Madison Bumgarner

Max Scherzer

Jordan Zimmerman (Maybe not?)

Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard?

Fernandez of the Marlins

I believe that Rodon could be on this list soon as well as a few other young guys. Any objections? Anyone I left off.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 07:40 AM)

That's a good angle, I hadn't really considered that before.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 08:02 AM)

I love Quintana but this just isn't true.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
Not many teams have an actual ace though. There are like only 20 in all of baseball probably.

Chris Sale

Corey Kluber

Justin Verlander (Used to be an Ace)

Johnny Cueto

Chris Archer

David Price

Dallas Keuchel

Sonny Gray

Cole Hamels

Yu Darvish

Felix Hernandez

Jake Arrieta

Adam Wainwright

Gerrit Cole

Clayton Kershaw

Zack Greinke

Madison Bumgarner

Max Scherzer

Jordan Zimmerman (Maybe not?)

Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard?

Fernandez of the Marlins

I believe that Rodon could be on this list soon as well as a few other young guys. Any objections? Anyone I left off.

Quintana is better than about half the guys on that list. If he spent the last 4 years on the Cardinals, he'd be widely considered one of the top 5 pitchers in the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Yes, because they didn't make a deal, they obviously didn't listen to any offers... Seriously?

If you can't complain about an actual deal, you can complain about a deal that wasn't made that if it was, you would complain about. The Sox obviously needed to make trades, even if they made no sense to the team.