42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
lol @ cubs fans calling the score ripping Theo for not getting another starter. This team is in the NLCS and Theo is a bum now

I absolutely agree it's 100% bonkers that Cubs fans are ripping Theo (I imagine they're specifically mentioning Hammels), but unless I'm missing something in their farm system, which I could be, moving forward they really need to upgrade SP'ing. Lester will be a year older next year and JA won't pitch historically great again.

They obviously have young position players to trade, but I imagine that would be 2 for 1 for an impact pitcher, or they go hard after Price or Grienke (he opted out this weekend).

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Why is it that guys like Jordan4life and AustinIllini disappear from these threads when the Cubs start losing?

I was in San Francisco drinking wine, hiking and not thinking about the children on this board nor the imminent implosion of the Cubs.

"People called me out for wearing a White Sox jacket!"

Of course they did! The White Sox are terrible. It's Bears season.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
I was in San Francisco drinking wine, hiking and not thinking about the children on this board nor the imminent implosion of the Cubs.

Damn. AustinIllini Voldemort-ing it up in here. Summoned by name.

But yeah, he wins. Granted, that's if it was wine from vineyards.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)

"Waaah! People called me out for wearing a White Sox jacket!"

Of course they did! The White Sox are terrible. It's Bears season.

We used to have another poster on here was keen on San Fran. Per chance do you have an affinity for classic cars?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
I absolutely agree it's 100% bonkers that Cubs fans are ripping Theo (I imagine they're specifically mentioning Hammels), but unless I'm missing something in their farm system, which I could be, moving forward they really need to upgrade SP'ing. Lester will be a year older next year and JA won't pitch historically great again.

They obviously have young position players to trade, but I imagine that would be 2 for 1 for an impact pitcher, or they go hard after Price or Grienke (he opted out this weekend).

It happened in the final hour of Mully and Hanley, and Mully basically had to hang up on the guy because he was just so ridiculous about it. The cubs almost won 100 games after winning, what, 73 last year? And now Theo isnt doing enough? STFU

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
convenient

No one expects (or, in my case, cares) the Cubs to be in the playoffs when they plan a vacation in October.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Damn. AustinIllini Voldemort-ing it up in here. Summoned by name.

But yeah, he wins. Granted, that's if it was wine from vineyards.

We went with Sonoma. It was a lot of fun and not quite as crazy as Napa.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
We used to have another poster on here was keen on San Fran. Per chance do you have an affinity for classic cars?

I don't care for the Giants much, but I despise the 9ers.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
No one expects (or, in my case, cares) the Cubs to be in the playoffs when they plan a vacation in October.

We went with Sonoma. It was a lot of fun and not quite as crazy as Napa.

Good choice.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
I don't care for the Giants much, but I despise the 9ers.

We can rule out SOXOBAMA now.

lmao

AustinIllini doesnt post in all caps, dead giveaway

Soxobama, lol good times.

I still think lester and his stuff sucks. He bided time this year in the NL but that can only help so much for so long. I think that contract turns absolutely dreadful for them sooner then later.

With 135 million and 5 years I'd get rid of him if anyone just wanted his contract. Not that they'd do that.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
I DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DO THAT. GO NINERS DERP GIANTS

:P

The guy we are joking about was SOXOBAMA, and everything was caps, and everything was a bit crazy. he got a bit exposed as a liar

lmao I thought of that when he was talking about San Francisco.

Maybe he'll have pictures from the NFC Championship game...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
It happened in the final hour of Mully and Hanley, and Mully basically had to hang up on the guy because he was just so ridiculous about it. The cubs almost won 100 games after winning, what, 73 last year? And now Theo isnt doing enough? STFU

If the cubs do not make it out of this series it is a valid conversation.

At the time it was 100% the right decision. In hindsight and that is all this is, another arm better than Haren would have helped.

Arrieta going on a historic run could not have been foreseen. If JS goes on that run for the White Sox they could be playing now and everyone would be b****ing they did not get a bat.

The cubs issues for next year are getting the right pitchers at the right price. They are out there, the issue will be who is paying what. The price tag on Arrieta may hurt the off season maneuvering for a free agent pitcher as he is going to break the bank.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Soxobama, lol good times.

I still think lester and his stuff sucks. He bided time this year in the NL but that can only help so much for so long. I think that contract turns absolutely dreadful for them sooner then later.

With 135 million and 5 years I'd get rid of him if anyone just wanted his contract. Not that they'd do that.

He's just not a number one and probably not a great 2 either. But he played in Boston, so he's jesus.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
If the cubs do not make it out of this series it is a valid conversation.

At the time it was 100% the right decision. In hindsight and that is all this is, another arm better than Haren would have helped.

Arrieta going on a historic run could not have been foreseen. If JS goes on that run for the White Sox they could be playing now and everyone would be b****ing they did not get a bat.

The cubs issues for next year are getting the right pitchers at the right price. They are out there, the issue will be who is paying what. The price tag on Arrieta may hurt the off season maneuvering for a free agent pitcher as he is going to break the bank.

come on now, this team is set up to contend going forward. What is happening now is 100% gravy, not expected. Mortgaging a guy like, say, Javier Baez(who was the major name on the block) would have KILLED them right now after Addison Russell went down.

Theo did a masterful job, sticking with his prospects and getting an arm like Haren was absolutely the right thing to do. If this was the end of a percieved playoff window, then yea, sitting back and doing nothing is inexcusable. But calling into the score to rip Theo while your team is in the NLCS as a wildcard team is just pure fan stupidity

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
come on now, this team is set up to contend going forward. What is happening now is 100% gravy, not expected. Mortgaging a guy like, say, Javier Baez(who was the major name on the block) would have KILLED them right now after Addison Russell went down.

Theo did a masterful job, sticking with his prospects and getting an arm like Haren was absolutely the right thing to do. If this was the end of a percieved playoff window, then yea, sitting back and doing nothing is inexcusable. But calling into the score to rip Theo while your team is in the NLCS as a wildcard team is just pure fan stupidity

I agree and disagree. The cubs are going to be good for a long time, and this was "a year ahead of schedule".

But, lots of stuff happens in seasons like injuries and random horrible years that can derail a season. Getting to the CS is sooo close that you don't want to rely on the fact that the team is young, because you aren't young for that long. Take it when you can. They've had a lot of good luck this year with Arrieta's run and good health.

But, after this year of lester I think they probably will sour on Price signing. Granted, price in the NL is probably a 36 win pitcher with a .4 ERA. At least that's what it seems like when you make the switch.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
I agree and disagree. The cubs are going to be good for a long time, and this was "a year ahead of schedule".

But, lots of stuff happens in seasons like injuries and random horrible years that can derail a season. Getting to the CS is sooo close that you don't want to rely on the fact that the team is young, because you aren't young for that long. Take it when you can. They've had a lot of good luck this year with Arrieta's run and good health.

But, after this year of lester I think they probably will sour on Price signing. Granted, price in the NL is probably a 36 win pitcher with a .4 ERA. At least that's what it seems like when you make the switch.

Absolutely agree, you cant take anything for granted. I just dont think the Cubs pitching is the sole reason they are 0-2 right now, and you cant say that a pitcher like Hamels or Price( for a hefty return that would have probably included your current starting short stop) would have changed the fact that they are 0-2 right now

Yea if I'm the Cubs I'm taking full advantage of their rookie surplus, trade away guys you don't believe in (Baez most likely) and sign guys like Price now to make yourself legit contenders.

They have like a 4-5 year window before any of their young hitters really require money, you have to spend on pitching now to capitalize. Plus, it's the Cubs, if they need money to pay players they will find it somewhere.

The 2014 Mets and 2015 White Sox are somewhat similar. Offensively and defensively challenged, nice young pitching. KW and Hahn get a couple of guys who can hit and catch the ball, another guy or two either bounce back or develop, next year could be a lot better than many think.

Edited by Dick Allen