White sox open to trading Avisail Garcia

Whisox05

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
It's basically saying he can be though. He doesn't look anything near that now. Obviously he isn't if he hasn't done it.

Posters mention players ceilings all the time. That is best case scenario.

The problem IMO with Avi and a lot of White Sox players recently, is they are not high baseball IQ guys, and that hurts you in so many ways. You make bad decisions on the bases, in the field, and at the plate. It takes those guys longer to adjust back after pitchers and defenses have adjusted to them.

While high ceilings are great, and you need to have these guys in your organization , relying on that being reached or coming close is fools gold.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)

The problem IMO with Avi and a lot of White Sox players recently, is they are not high baseball IQ guys, and that hurts you in so many ways. You make bad decisions on the bases, in the field, and at the plate. It takes those guys longer to adjust back after pitchers and defenses have adjusted to them.

While high ceilings are great, and you need to have these guys in your organization , relying on that being reached or coming close is fools gold.

Agree. They don't have very smart players.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
Then we have a bad hitter who plays good defense instead of a bad hitter who plays bad defense.

The REAL plan should be to move Avi and then try to upgrade over Thompson the rest of the offseason, falling back on Thompson if necessary.

100% agree with this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
The problem IMO with Avi and a lot of White Sox players recently, is they are not high baseball IQ guys, and that hurts you in so many ways. You make bad decisions on the bases, in the field, and at the plate.

Other teams don't let high baseball IQ guys go. The Sox can't develop their own, so we get "seconds" from other organizations.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 02:00 AM)

crap, the was shown during last preseason during the base running drills and games with the aggressive approach that the coach was teaching....

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
I agree with you aside from the bothering to move Avi part. His value is basically nothing right now. He actually had some success with the Sox in 2013 and 2014. He'd always succeeded. 2015 was his first full season and his first opportunity to have it proven to him that there's a lot he's not good at. Presumably he's working his ass off on all of this things. I'd give him one more chance this year in AAA or part-time OF/DH to see what happens. Not because I assume it will work out, but because he's currently not worth anything in trade. I realize it's $2.3 million, but whatever.

I just don't think it's a matter of going to the minors and working on stuff -- I think he's toast because he can't see the ball well enough. At this point, there may be SOMEONE who wants to gamble SOMETHING on him, but by this time next year he'll just be a DFA candidate. I'd rather get a live arm and $2m off the books now. But I see where you're coming from.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
I mean, probably when they finished in the bottom ten of the league 3 years in a row.

I'm a bit drunk but yea, thanks for the lol. The Sox, bad talent at ID'ing and refining offensive talent? You don't say! Thanks for the levity we can use it. This team has been bad for awhile. The evidence is on the surface.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 01:42 AM)
I just don't think it's a matter of going to the minors and working on stuff -- I think he's toast because he can't see the ball well enough. At this point, there may be SOMEONE who wants to gamble SOMETHING on him, but by this time next year he'll just be a DFA candidate. I'd rather get a live arm and $2m off the books now. But I see where you're coming from.

There is little point is selling this low on him. At this point you give him another 300 PA before July and see what happens. If he sucks, well s***. If he shows something, hell, that's good. He needs to hit 290/330/450 to have positive value. Maybe he can do it. I'd say maybe 40/100 odds.

My Avi glass is half full, maybe more. He knows 2016 is a big year for him and his career, and the White Sox represent the best chance for him to achieve whatever it is that he wants to achieve. Lets see how he does in ST; if he shows up 20 pounds heavier and swings at too many pitches in the dirt, then he made his choice.

I'm betting the opposite, that he'll show up in shape and ready for a good year.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
There is little point is selling this low on him. At this point you give him another 300 PA before July and see what happens. If he sucks, well s***. If he shows something, hell, that's good. He needs to hit 290/330/450 to have positive value. Maybe he can do it. I'd say maybe 40/100 odds.

the sox are in a bad position, who is to say that any org wants him??? i bet the sox would be happy for money to get rid of him.

it is too late, just ride it out and as some has said, lets see in spring training.

Those are three guys out of how many that management has been unable to develop. Let's look at how many they haven't been able to develop...Beckham, Davidson, Flowers, the signing of the Adam's (Dunn and LaRoche). I do not think they can develop hitters or they are a poor judge in hitting talent. I believe they got lucky with guys like Anderson.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 07:01 AM)
My Avi glass is half full, maybe more. He knows 2016 is a big year for him and his career, and the White Sox represent the best chance for him to achieve whatever it is that he wants to achieve. Lets see how he does in ST; if he shows up 20 pounds heavier and swings at too many pitches in the dirt, then he made his choice.

I'm betting the opposite, that he'll show up in shape and ready for a good year.

At most, he should be a part-time OF and DH vs LHP. He can't be in the OF on a regular basis if the Sox plan on "contending".

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 01:28 AM)

No. That is a mistake the Sox have made before. You have to know when to give up on a guy. That time with Avi is right now.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 02:28 AM)

The "point" to selling low on him would be to prevent him from creating more losses for our team.

He reminds me of Viciedo in the sense that the talent is there but he can't use it. Viciedo has one good season (25/78 in 2012), and that's more than Garcia can say. I do remember Avi was one of the league leaders in batting average for the first month and a half until he fell off a cliff. I think his issues are all mental, and that his weight/stance are basically irrelevant.

QUOTE (rneums33 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
Those are three guys out of how many that management has been unable to develop. Let's look at how many they haven't been able to develop...Beckham, Davidson, Flowers, the signing of the Adam's (Dunn and LaRoche). I do not think they can develop hitters or they are a poor judge in hitting talent. I believe they got lucky with guys like Anderson.

I'm confused why people are counting Anderson as a positive already. Tell me where you have heard this profile before: Speedy, raw, multi sport athlete that needs to improve contact rates, pitch recognition, defense, and tap into power potential. Now, tell me when the Sox have ever finished developing that player?

He is an exciting prospect no doubt, and I get each prospect needs to be evaluated individually, but it's one of these I'll believe it when I see it type situations.

The Sox appear to be better at evaluating position players a little further in their careers when development is closer to complete. That's where Abreu, Eaton, Alexei types seem to work out. They just can't develop players from the start.

Someone mentioned earlier about baseball IQ. I have to agree and I think part of that comes from the Sox penchant for picking and targeting athletes rather than baseball players. Kenny loves football player types that are raw with big tools. That also generally leads to less baseball acumen and the Sox cannot instill it into players. That could also be attributed to the ridiculous speed at which players tend to get promoted.

QUOTE (shakes @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
I'm confused why people are counting Anderson as a positive already. Tell me where you have heard this profile before: Speedy, raw, multi sport athlete that needs to improve contact rates, pitch recognition, defense, and tap into power potential. Now, tell me when the Sox have ever finished developing that player?

He is an exciting prospect no doubt, and I get each prospect needs to be evaluated individually, but it's one of these I'll believe it when I see it type situations.

The Sox appear to be better at evaluating position players a little further in their careers when development is closer to complete. That's where Abreu, Eaton, Alexei types seem to work out. They just can't develop players from the start.

Someone mentioned earlier about baseball IQ. I have to agree and I think part of that comes from the Sox penchant for picking and targeting athletes rather than baseball players. Kenny loves football player types that are raw with big tools. That also generally leads to less baseball acumen and the Sox cannot instill it into players. That could also be attributed to the ridiculous speed at which players tend to get promoted.

your second part of your post, i agree and been a big advocate of against the speed of which they the sox rush the players thru.

but in ref to the bold, the sox are really down, they need something positive coming from the minor system... in other words i would use the law of averages and say, lets hook our enthusiasm on Anderson. it doesn't hurt.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
your second part of your post, i agree and been a big advocate of against the speed of which they the sox rush the players thru.

but in ref to the bold, the sox are really down, they need something positive coming from the minor system... in other words i would use the law of averages and say, lets hook our enthusiasm on Anderson. it doesn't hurt.

But that's just blind hope that it will be different this time. History tells us differently, and there is pretty overwhelming evidence that suggests their position player development system doesn't work.

QUOTE (shakes @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
But that's just blind hope that it will be different this time. History tells us differently, and there is pretty overwhelming evidence that suggests their position player development system doesn't work.

It's not very reasonable to judge one ML player based on a teams previous success or failure with other players. Looking at that players past and how far that player has come since being drafted is what matters. Anderson has progressed in most facets of the game and will begin the '16 season playing AAA at only 22 years of age so there's plenty to hopeful about but that hope is not blind due to his progression. Anderson has shown that his game is improving all the while moving up through the system.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
It's not very reasonable to judge one ML player based on a teams previous success or failure with other players. Looking at that players past and how far that player has come since being drafted is what matters. Anderson has progressed in most facets of the game and will begin the '16 season playing AAA at only 22 years of age so there's plenty to hopeful about but that hope is not blind due to his progression. Anderson has shown that his game is improving all the while moving up through the system.

thank you, you are 100% correct. anyway, there is nothing wrong in off season hope for a better new baseball yr.

btw, i would not have answered that with the intelligence that you should. good job.